OnePlus 3 launched ($399) Updated: reviews out

Trixanity
28 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Samsung also uses pentile displays on the majority of their devices. It's like they've given up on RGB. The last Galaxy S that had RGB was S2 and the last Note was Note 4 (if my memory is correct). I'm guessing it's hard to produce a good AMOLED RGB display while keeping the display quality up and the yields up. 

Pentile has evolved over the years as they've spend tons on R&D to solve the pentile issues (well, more like mask them) as it is a Samsung invention (patented too I'm sure) after all and one that gives them excellent production capabilities. They changed the shape and placement of sub pixels to hide the detrimental effects of pentile. The newest displays utilize diamond shaped pixels for instance. I think that started on the S5 or S6.

From what I understand, it still causes issues but the innovations along with increased resolution (and therefore pixel density) really helps a lot, yet there is as far as I know still noticeable effects of pentile (albeit less and less as it progresses). 

Yeah Samsung uses pentile too, but their screens are smaller and 2560x1440.

It might not be an issue on a 5.5" 1920x1080 screen, but I am will wait for a good analysis before making my mind up if it's an issue or not.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah Samsung uses pentile too, but their screens are smaller and 2560x1440.

It might not be an issue on a 5.5" 1920x1080 screen, but I am will wait for a good analysis before making my mind up if it's an issue or not.

Can someone explain to me what PenTile is in layman's terms? ^^ Do you really think it will look worse than for example than a Galaxy S5? I don't quite get why it would look 'sub-retina' given it got a dpi over 400.

Already bought the phone though, UFS 64GB storage and 6GB of RAM for under €400 is quite hard to resist.

Biggest compromise on this phone is definitely the battery though.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

Well, we'll never see it utilized if it's not there. One has got to come before the other. Either the need, or the feature. Stop bitching.

The feature just leads to lazy ass coding. The need should come first (unless the need is in the forseeable life of the device, which shouldn't be the case....6gb of ram is ridiculous on a phone).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

59 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Can someone explain to me what PenTile is in layman's terms? ^^ Do you really think it will look worse than for example than a Galaxy S5? I don't quite get why it would look 'sub-retina' given it got a dpi over 400.

Already bought the phone though, UFS 64GB storage and 6GB of RAM for under €400 is quite hard to resist.

Biggest compromise on this phone is definitely the battery though.

This is a diamond pentile display from the galaxy S7.

WIN_20160308_01_27_08_Pro_575px.jpg

This is a RGB stripe display
RazerBlade.jpg

To learn more read this.

OnePlus really knows how to hype their phones... I checked out their pop-up store and the line was literally 2 hours.... No joke. Needless to say I didn't wait in that line lol

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Seems to me if they are slipping away from their roots of just being as cheap as the can for the performance.

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

The pictures above shows it pretty clearly.

But I think this comparison is even better (source: Stuff-Review).

To the left we got the Galaxy Nexus. It has a pentile display at 316 PPI.

To the right we got the HTC One X. Full RGB 312 PPI display.

pentile vs RGB.png

Despite being a higher PPI, the pentile display looks lower resolution. This is especially noticeable if you look at the blur or red parts of the strip in the Instagram logo.

If you look at the screen labeled "RGB" you can see that there is one red, one blue and one green "sub-pixel" for each individual pixel.

For pentile displays, it is often (but not always) one red, one blue and two green, which together makes "two" "individual pixels". This is sometimes called RGBG

So on a phone with a resolution of 1920x1080, these are effectively the resolutions you will have:

Red: 960 x 1080

Green: 1920x1080

Blue : 960 x 1080

On a 5.5" display, your effective PPI for each individual color would be:

Red: 262 PPI

Green: 400 PPI

Blue : 262 PPI

That's the gist of it. That's not to say that the screen on the OnePlus 3 will look like a 262 PPI display though. There is more to it than that (like how the subpixels are organized, how much space is between them, how large/small they are, the shape of them etc). But for certain things involving the red and blue subpixels, it will most likely not be as sharp as a full RGB display would be.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

snip

Sharpness (or lack there of) as you say and the noticeable green tint to the display. Particularly on white backgrounds as your image clearly shows.

Some say PenTile is used because of burn-in or degradation concerns but I don't buy it. Samsung has used RGB displays in recent times and many users of for example the Galaxy S2 who still use that phone have not noted any issues and that phone is 5 years old.

I'm quite certain it's because of yields. That and the added complexity probably makes it difficult to work with. I'm guessing it's easier to advance the display tech with PenTile while keeping the costs low.

A good example of recent times is the Galaxy Tab S series. The smaller 8"~ version had PenTile and the larger 10"~ had RGB. If the RGB had very poor characteristics such as fast degradation, they probably wouldn't use it. However, the RGB panel was universally praised as being quite superior.

But I personally wish RGB was the standard and that they'd drop PenTile but that's not gonna happen because of [reasons].

I should add that it's funny how LG are the king of OLED in the TV business right now by using a WRGB subpixel matrix whereas Samsung has (at least previously) had to shut down production due to poor yields.. However, if I recall it's quite different to PenTile so there shouldn't be the same lack of sharpness and certainly no green tint because it isn't skimping on red and blue subpixels and the white subpixel is merely an addition to the standard RGB adding better color control and lower power consumption. And it's also funny LG hasn't been able to develop the same technique for smartphone displays, so they're basically stuck with LCDs... 

The tech industry is weird sometimes.

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The feature just leads to lazy ass coding. The need should come first (unless the need is in the forseeable life of the device, which shouldn't be the case....6gb of ram is ridiculous on a phone).

I don't agree with that. If there isn't 6GB available, why on earth would anyone code to utilize it? They wouldn't, because no one would have it, so no one would be able to use the thing they coded to work with 6GB of RAM.

One has to come first. It needs to be the physical memory. Sure, it might not be that way now. But someone's got to start it.

Bill Gates is often quoted (whether he said it or not) as saying "640k ought to be enough for everyone". Should everyone have just coded for 640k? After all, no one needed more, right?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Loving it to see OLED screen and UFS storage.

I prefer the sandstone finish though.

I'm happy with my OnePlus X for now for which I bought the sandstone case.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't agree with that. If there isn't 6GB available, why on earth would anyone code to utilize it? They wouldn't, because no one would have it, so no one would be able to use the thing they coded to work with 6GB of RAM.

One has to come first. It needs to be the physical memory. Sure, it might not be that way now. But someone's got to start it.

Bill Gates is often quoted (whether he said it or not) as saying "640k ought to be enough for everyone". Should everyone have just coded for 640k? After all, no one needed more, right?

Considering 4gb is still enough for the average users DESKTOP, 4gb should be way more than enough for a phone. 

Also, just look at the gaming market. Devs are ahead of GPUs, yet everything still works out.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

four.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Considering 4gb is still enough for the average users DESKTOP, 4gb should be way more than enough for a phone. 

Also, just look at the gaming market. Devs are ahead of GPUs, yet everything still works out.

I wouldn't say devs are ahead. It's more like devs hope the hardware will brute force the shit out of their shoddy coding. If they were up to the task we could probably utilize the resources (hardware) much better and could advance the industry forward considerably. 

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I wouldn't say devs are ahead. It's more like devs hope the hardware will brute force the shit out of their shoddy coding. If they were up to the task we could probably utilize the resources (hardware) much better and could advance the industry forward considerably.

My point still stands regardless of how you look at it. 

Either theyre developing for hardware that isn't available yet or GPU makers push out capable hardware which just leads to shitty coding. I personally think it's a little of both. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Had hoped Oneplus wouldn't be going the route trying to make their phone slimmer, adding a camera bumb and lowering battery capacity...

Even though camera seems to be quite good I'd rather have a phone like the OP3 but in a package like the Moto droid turbo so smaller but 1080p OLED screen, high battery capacity and management and rather ergonomic shaped than trying to like good while trying to slip out of my hand.

I had a pentile 720p display and it was truly awful. Samsung got around to using full RGBs with their 1080ps and then reverted back to PenTile on 1440p which in fairness isn't noticeable.

Either way, pentile should die

27 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

I had a pentile 720p display and it was truly awful. Samsung got around to using full RGBs with their 1080ps and then reverted back to PenTile on 1440p which in fairness isn't noticeable.

Either way, pentile should die

The Galaxy S 4 (their first 1920x1080 phone) was pentile too. I don't think Samsung have had any full RGB SAMOLED displays since the Galaxy S 2 with its 480x800 display.

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The Galaxy S 4 (their first 1920x1080 phone) was pentile too. I don't think Samsung have had any full RGB SAMOLED displays since the Galaxy S 2 with its 480x800 display.

The Note 2 (also a correction to my previous calling out of Note 4 as a RGB display) had some kind of RGB but in some freakish implementation. 

From Anandtech:

With Galaxy Note 2, Samsung has gone with an entirely new subpixel rendering matrix, which I’ve heard was going to be called S Stripe. Instead of the previous PenTile tech which used two subpixels per logical pixel (either RG or BG), this new subpixel geometry uses 3 subpixels per pixel (RGB) but with a green subpixel above the red subpixel and a long vertical blue subpixel.

And they do use RGB on their large Galaxy S Tab series (tablets that is, but maybe those are irrelevant to the discussion).

Both the S and S2 has RGB on the larger versions (roughly 10") whereas the smaller (roughly 8") use PenTile.

Say roughly because the screen sizes vary a little bit and because the aspect ratios are different (Tab S = 16:10 vs Tab S2 = 4:3)

Although I guess that I should clarify that Note 2 and the Tab S series are referred to as "RGB-like" so it's not like conventional RGB. It's all some form of S Stripe but, while not conventional, it is still RGB and 3 subpixels even if shaped weirdly.

Picture of the Galaxy Tab S 10.5" subpixels from Anandtech

Spoiler

Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S-10.5.png

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh. I thought super amoled plus eventually got to the 1080p panels. 

On 14.6.2016 at 8:13 PM, Lehti said:

I own a OnePlus X and I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in the way OP is handling the updates. I haven't seen a security patch in months and in all honesty I gave up hope on ever seeing Marshmallow on it.

I recently got the update to Marshmallow on my OP2 and you can get a free copy of it on OnePlus' site. You just have to flash it yourself.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I recently got the update to Marshmallow on my OP2 and you can get a free copy of it on OnePlus' site. You just have to flash it yourself.

You see, I'm one of those persons that likes installing OSs on their PCs, but want their phones to "just work".

1 hour ago, Lehti said:

You see, I'm one of those persons that likes installing OSs on their PCs, but want their phones to "just work".

Yaeh thats why my daily driver is an iPhone 6

I plan on getting an OP3 or something similar as a secondary device, for fucking around with, but I cant deal with android as something to rely on

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yaeh thats why my daily driver is an iPhone 6

I plan on getting an OP3 or something similar as a secondary device, for fucking around with, but I cant deal with android as something to rely on

Pick the Axon 7 instead, 50 dollars more gets you a better display and an mSD card slot. Also it's DayDream ready if you ever want to try google's vision for VR, also ZTE is a bigger, older and established company and provides a better customer support across the globe.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Pick the Axon 7 instead, 50 dollars more gets you a better display and an mSD card slot. Also it's DayDream ready if you ever want to try google's vision for VR, also ZTE is a bigger, older and established company and provides a better customer support across the globe.

The Axon and Mi5 are both on my radar

Not seen much on the Axon here in the UK regarding price or release 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii