OnePlus 3 launched ($399) Updated: reviews out

Trixanity

Today OnePlus 3 was launched. It's a major upgrade compared to OnePlus 2 as can be seen by the table:

Spoiler
  OnePlus 2 OnePlus 3
SoC Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
GPU Adreno 430 Adreno 530
RAM 2/4GB LPDDR4 6GB LPDDR4
Display 5.5" 1920 x 1080 IPS LCD 5.5" 1920 x 1080 PenTile AMOLED
Size / Mass 151.8 x 74.9 x 9.85mm, 175g 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.35mm, 158g
Rear Camera 13MP 1.3 μm OmniVision OV13860 f/2.0 16MP 1.1 μm Sony IMX298, f/2.0, OIS
Front Camera 5MP 1.4 μm OmniVision OV5648, f/2.0 8MP 1.4 μm Sony IMX179, f/2.0
Storage 16/64GB eMMC 64GB UFS 2.0
I/O USB 2.0 Type-C connector, 3.5mm audio
Connectivity 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4.1
USB-C, GPS/GNSS
802.11a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4.2, USB-C
NFC, GPS/GNSS
Price $329 (3GB/16GB)
$389 (4GB/64GB)
$399 (6GB/64GB)

Although it's not without potential caveats. The pixels are smaller on the new cameras but Sony's sensors are usually superior to the rest of the market, so image quality should be improved. 

The display might also be polarizing.

The display maintains its size and resolution, but OnePlus has moved to an AMOLED panel and is targeting the NTSC color gamut. Unfortunately, neither of these things seem like improvements, with the effective resolution of red and blue on the panel now being halved, and the color gamut not conforming to the sRGB standard as it should. I'll be putting the OnePlus 3 through our standard display workflow with the full review, and if you value an accurate display I would wait until that time before you make up your mind about buying the phone.

The switch to a PenTile AMOLED display can prove to be a poor decision. 

Battery life should be decent as it's clocking in at 3000 mAh and it will have their own fast charging technology called "Dash Charge" which according to OnePlus will put you at 63% within 30 minutes of charging. Some will probably criticize the battery as too small given the display size of 5.5". However, it's a 1080p display which will be less taxing than a QHD display. The display is covered by Gorilla Glass 4.

There will be no microSD support but there is dual nano-SIM support.

On the upside: UFS 2.0 storage. Good riddance to eMMC! And 6 GB LPDDR4 RAM (world first?). And the return of NFC. Hooray. Improved fingerprint scanner too.

OnePlus moves away from a sandstone finish to metal unibody. It's kinda like the older HTC devices.

However, if you like the old materials, you'll be able to buy slim cases in "black sandstone" and wood as well.

The phone will come in two colors: graphite or gold. Design can be seen in the picture below.

Spoiler

OnePlus3-1_678x452.jpg

There will apparently only be one model and that's the 64/6 GB model. It'll be $399, which if I'm not mistaken is the most expensive phone from OnePlus to date. However the specs of the phone have probably driven the price up. It'll ship with OnePlus' own OxygenOS based on Android Marshmallow 6.0. OxygenOS is supposed to be a close to pure Android but with added features. So it shouldn't be horribly bloated.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10419/oneplus-launches-the-oneplus-3

Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review

Review can be found below (courtesy of @Suika)

Spoiler

Don't see any reason to upgrade from my 6P any time soon,  for the price not bad I suppose only the display and the USB 2.0 limitations to be only real disappoints. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Looks like a nice budget phone. All the things you need and no frills.

3 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Don't see any reason to upgrade from my 6P any time soon 

Coincidentally I'm considering upgrading from my Nexus 6P.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Having issues? I've had mine for a while now and it's going strong. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

25 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

-snip-

Also, if you want to include this in the OP.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

Looks like a nice budget phone. All the things you need and no frills.

maybe its me but how is a $400 phone a budget phone, imo a budget phone should be around <=$200

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

maybe its me but how is a $400 phone a budget phone, imo a budget phone should be around <=$200

When the competition is $600+ I'd say it's not budget but good value. 

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

The specifications of the phone are typically found in >$500 phones. That's why it's called budget even though it isn't. A "cheap" flagship if you will, a good value. I wouldn't call it an actual budget phone either. 

6GB of RAM in a fucking smartphone. "Because we know it will look good on a spec sheet while in reality about 3.5GB stays unused no matter what."

Ye ole' train

27 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Don't see any reason to upgrade from my 6P any time soon,  for the price not bad I suppose only the display and the USB 2.0 limitations to be only real disappoints. 

25 minutes ago, Suika said:

Another 6P owner here, won't be upgrading. The 6P's screen, speakers and camera are just too damn good :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I own a OnePlus X and I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in the way OP is handling the updates. I haven't seen a security patch in months and in all honesty I gave up hope on ever seeing Marshmallow on it.

I am gutter there is no micro sd :(

i was going to buy one, but now I am not sure

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

9 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Another 6P owner here, won't be upgrading. The 6P's screen, speakers and camera are just too damn good :P

Best panel on a phone I've seen also damn great speakers. 

Reason why I kept my M7 for so long. 

When will Android phones have USB 3.0 again. I don't get why they use USB 2 type C

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

When will Android phones have USB 3.0 again. I don't get why they use USB 2 type C

Probably because it's more expensive and I've also heard that there could be issues with power consumption but nothing solid on that. So probably just saving money.

47 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

There is a reason one plus phones are so much cheaper than the competition. They cut quite a few corners on all their phones.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

56 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Probably because it's more expensive and I've also heard that there could be issues with power consumption but nothing solid on that. So probably just saving money.

Just curious how much can they actually saved from not implementing usb 3.0? Also besides faster data transfer, what other usage scenario can an android phone benefit from usb 3.0?

17 minutes ago, atrash said:

Just curious how much can they actually saved from not implementing usb 3.0? Also besides faster data transfer, what other usage scenario can an android phone benefit from usb 3.0?

Probably not much. $1? $2? I can't imagine much more. But keep in mind that it's per phone, so that adds up. Produce one million phones and you've spent $1,000,000 or more on USB 3 chips. Obviously they could try to bump the price to compensate or absorb it themselves, but you know corporations. Neither option is attractive, so we just exclude it instead so the price is the same and the margins are the same. No need to rock the boat :) 

The bandwidth will mostly improve transfer speed but could also open up possibilities for peripherals (can't come up with any useful examples at the top of my head). It has no bearing on the connector (USB-C is USB-C) and it has no bearing on power delivery. So for a lot of people, they probably don't give a crap. For me, it's a bit annoying. I fairly frequently need to move files to and from my device and I would appreciate 5 or 10 gigabit speed for that. There is no excellent wireless solution. I mean they do exist and everything and actually work well to boot but it's not exactly seamless and obviously even the fastest wireless is slower than USB 3.1. And damn it, sometimes you need to actually store files on your external storage :) 

24 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Probably not much. $1? $2? I can't imagine much more. But keep in mind that it's per phone, so that adds up. Produce one million phones and you've spent $1,000,000 or more on USB 3 chips. Obviously they could try to bump the price to compensate or absorb it themselves, but you know corporations. Neither option is attractive, so we just exclude it instead so the price is the same and the margins are the same. No need to rock the boat :) 

The bandwidth will mostly improve transfer speed but could also open up possibilities for peripherals (can't come up with any useful examples at the top of my head). It has no bearing on the connector (USB-C is USB-C) and it has no bearing on power delivery. So for a lot of people, they probably don't give a crap. For me, it's a bit annoying. I fairly frequently need to move files to and from my device and I would appreciate 5 or 10 gigabit speed for that. There is no excellent wireless solution. I mean they do exist and everything and actually work well to boot but it's not exactly seamless and obviously even the fastest wireless is slower than USB 3.1. And damn it, sometimes you need to actually store files on your external storage :) 

WIth not micro sd storage option, they probably thought transfer speed is not going to matter that much with that limited internal storage. The reason I ask for the usage scenario is because I see the benefit of having one on W10M I own with Continuum but idk about Android phones.

ANd that display,imo what's good in having great camera when you have poor display to view your photos with. Kinda disappointed with that.

Looks strictly better than the 5x I just got for the same price. Though, since I'm using project fi I got $150 off of the 5x.

1 hour ago, bob345 said:

47 minutes ago, atrash said:

If they had full featured type c you can charge faster, and run display port though it