[Rumour] Apple to get rid of 11" MacBook Air in favor of a 15" variant

Djole123

I actually don't mind the thickness, but please give rich I/O!

I have the 2012 EeePC, and it was one of, if not the lightest laptop.

And despite being light and thin, it still has a VGA port, Ethernet port, 2 USB ports, SD card slot, HDMI port and a headphone jack.

What I didn't like about it? It was too thin for a DVD-ROM drive. And I missed it.

But can you miss USB ports? No of course not!

As I said, I wouldn't mind thickness of a 2012 EeePC, but I want good specs and rich I/O (and a good battery)!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Have you ever tried a linux distribution? For your usage it should do just fine.

Ports to matter a lot in my opinion, just consider that I may want to use a mouse while charging it... why should that be a problem?I'm not saying it shoudl have 15 usb ports and an optical drive, but at least 2 or 3 usb ports are the bare minimum. And cloud storage or not, you don't always have an excellent internet connection wherever you go. Again - the asus is better and cheaper with the only downside being windows.

I have looked at a couple Versions  of Lenix. I even run one at home from time to time. Although that has been a while. The problem is compatibility I have to have either Outlook or Apple mail for certain features of our exchange server. And there are a few apps that only have Mac and PC versions that are specific to my industry.    And when it comes down to it, I just want the simplicity of able pick up my laptop and go.   

When I am at home screen around it's different. I love to build computers, I love to tinker and just work on things in general.   Especially computer related.   But when I am working I just want the simplicity.  And for me that equals the apple laptops.  

That  is not to say they are for everyone though.   Some people need more I/O, or power, or software options. But I don't.

Hell, if they made a MacBook with built in cellular, I would be first in line to buy that. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

1 minute ago, KWelz said:

I have looked at a couple Versions  of Lenix. I even run one at home from time to time. Although that has been a while. The problem is compatibility I have to have either Outlook or Apple mail for certain features of our exchange server. And there are a few apps that only have Mac and PC versions that are specific to my industry.    And when it comes down to it, I just want the simplicity of able pick up my laptop and go.   

When I am at home screen around it's different. I love to build computers, I love to tinker and just work on things in general.   Especially computer related.   But when I am working I just want the simplicity.  And for me that equals the apple laptops.  

That  is not to say they are for everyone though.   Some people need more I/O, or power, or software options. But I don't.

Hell, if they made a MacBook with built in cellular, I would be first in line to buy that. 

Well, if I were you I'd go for the air over the mb, but at that point it's up to you

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

guess what guys it is just a laptop and not even a very good one.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Used to have one.   Not a fan of the screen.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

oh i love my 11" air, its a lovely size. resolution isnt an issue, its a similar ppi to a 15" 1080p and always looks good to me. no horsepower whatsoever, which makes it an expensive internet browser

5 hours ago, mikat said:

the macbook air isn't very good at cooling :P
if you can link me a program that will tell me the temps, ill stresstest :)

fancontrol 

https://github.com/hholtmann/smcFanControl

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Moved to General Discussion. 

Please do not create posts in the Tech News and Reviews section based off rumour articles. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Can't fucking stand 11" laptops. Glad Apple's ditching the 11" MacBook Air.

Well, fortunately for you, no one is standing behind you at gunpoint and telling you to pick the 11 inch.

I like an 11 inch myself for typing in bed, however, a Macbook is vastly overkill for that purpose vs a cheapo 2-in-1. Type away, then toss aside when done.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, fortunately for you, no one is standing behind you at gunpoint and telling you to pick the 11 inch.

I like an 11 inch myself for typing in bed, however, a Macbook is vastly overkill for that purpose vs a cheapo 2-in-1. Type away, then toss aside when done.

I have... well, I'm not exactly small, to put it bluntly.

I've used a school laptop that was 11 inches. I really didn't like it for whatever reason. Way too small. Even 13" laptops are too small IMO.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I have... well, I'm not exactly small, to put it bluntly.

I've used a school laptop that was 11 inches. I really didn't like it for whatever reason. Way too small. Even 13" laptops are too small IMO.

Back when I used my laptop as my only PC, even 15" was too small for me. Went with a 17".

However, now that I got the desktop, and my laptop is still alive for moderately demanding tasks away from home, albeit, with pretty lousy battery life, I wanted a light beater netbook-type device with lots of battery, though just for typing and browsing, I couldn't in my right mind justify spending more than a couple benjamins.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Back when I used my laptop as my only PC, even 15" was too small for me. Went with a 17".

However, now that I got the desktop, and my laptop is still alive for moderately demanding tasks away from home, albeit, with pretty lousy battery life, I wanted a light beater netbook-type device with lots of battery, though just for typing and browsing, I couldn't in my right mind justify spending more than a couple benjamins.

Fair enough. 

I'm thinking about fixing my old piece of shit and using that when I'm not using my desktop.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So what it sounds like is that they're putting the MacBook in the segment it actually belongs in and then bringing the MacBook Air to about where the MacBook Pro sat and the MacBook Pro should then technically see a bit of a performance boost?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

they should bring back the 17" form 

Not enough demand.

9 hours ago, bobhays said:

I'm pretty sure it's MB<MBA<MBP

iPad Pro is bigger than 13" MacBook pro?

Nope. Just barely the same size.

10 hours ago, KWelz said:

Do you have number on Macbook sales?  I have seen you claim the sales were bad a few times but never seen any solid numbers backing that up. 

Sales were good enough to warrant a Gen1.1 update with Skylake.

10 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Uh, you do know that the SKUs Apple puts in their laptops are much better than those on Windows OEMs? They're all 15W but most OEMs use 6200U or 6500U SKUs which means HD 520 graphics whereas Apple uses 6260U or 6560U. They are also 15W but has HD 540 graphics meaning double the EUs and much higher graphical horse power. At best you sacrifice a couple of 100 MHz but gain much higher GPU performance and besides, it's all about turbo boost and not base frequency and the 6260U has higher turbo than 6200U meaning in workloads where you need the extra juice, you'll have it.

Edit: not to mention that it also has eDRAM now which also gives a good boost to performance.

Yeah but those chips run hotter, usually slower CPU in exchange for faster GPU. oh and did I mention the higher cost of these 6x60U SKUs? Cos those mofos are not cheap.

11 hours ago, Dackzy said:

huh I have always liked the idea behind the macbook air, but the screen and CPU has just been a no go for me, maybe they will change that this gen then.

Not likely. MacBook will replace MacBookAir. No more MacBookAir at all.

so this will be their lineup.

iPad Pro < MacBook < MacBook Pro

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, Dackzy said:

yeah I know, but you can still get 15w CPUs with a higher bass clock than 1.6GHz... I think most ULV CPUs are over 2GHz today.

They use the cpu's with the faster gpu's

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They use the cpu's with the faster gpu's

I know that, if you read the other posts in this topic you would know that I already know it.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

So they can have the 12" macbook, 13" and 15" air, and the 13" and 15" Retina pro

makes sense to me :)

now I just need apple to release a 15" with a 1080 (or even a 1060 or amd eq) and ill be in the queue on launch day

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

So they can have the 12" macbook, 13" and 15" air, and the 13" and 15" Retina pro

makes sense to me :)

now I just need apple to release a 15" with a 1080 (or even a 1060 or amd eq) and ill be in the queue on launch day

True, but I still love netbooks without touchscreen.

If Apple wasn't charging 899$ for a netbook, I'd be buying this immediately. I love everything about this netbook. Except the stupidly high price.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

True, but I still love netbooks without touchscreen.

If Apple wasn't charging 899$ for a netbook, I'd be buying this immediately. I love everything about this netbook. Except the stupidly high price.

Calling it a netbook is harsh, the air has an i5, a PCIe SSD, and HD6000 graphics

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yo that's wierdddddddd

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM: 24 Gib Micron (DDR3-1866)

STORAGE: 1x320Gib Wester Digital HDD 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Mini ITX OC 

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA Supernova 750G

---------------------------–----–---–--------------–----------------

PC PART PICKER LINK 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CH6xY

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Calling it a netbook is harsh, the air has an i5, a PCIe SSD, and HD6000 graphics

I thought it was running some kind of junk since it's so small (notebooks usually have an Intel Atom and Intel GMA graphics if someone is curious)!

That's quite powerful actually.

But it's still overpriced, no doubt. I can get those specs for 250$ less if I don't have to choose Apple

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

I thought it was running some kind of junk since it's so small (notebooks usually have an Intel Atom and Intel GMA graphics if someone is curious)!

That's quite powerful actually.

But it's still overpriced, no doubt. I can get those specs for 250$ less if I don't have to choose Apple

Can you get 12 hours of battery? a full metal chassis, glass trackpad, thunderbolt port, and a pci-e SSD? for $250 less?

12 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Can you get 12 hours of battery? a full metal chassis, glass trackpad, thunderbolt port, and a pci-e SSD? for $250 less?

Yeah, its not that hard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM: 24 Gib Micron (DDR3-1866)

STORAGE: 1x320Gib Wester Digital HDD 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Mini ITX OC 

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA Supernova 750G

---------------------------–----–---–--------------–----------------

PC PART PICKER LINK 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CH6xY

42 minutes ago, asd360 said:

Yeah, its not that hard

Ok.. get listing