Interview With AMD's Desktop Processor Marketing Manager, Don Woligroski

4960X
1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Thanks. 

Misleading graphs are OK cause you'd need to be retarded to fall for it, and if you are mentally retarded, you likely live in the US. Real classy.

Honestly dude, as a retail worker in an electronics store, he's 100% on the money. People ask me every day what something costs when every price tag is right next to or right below every item. People ask me what brand a computer is when it's in very obvious contrasting font right on the front. People walk into the store and ask me where the TVs are despite the fact that the entire back wall is plastered with huge, bright TVs at all times. I'm betting that a majority of normal consumers would be fooled by that graph.

2 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

Honestly dude, as a retail worker in an electronics store, he's 100% on the money. People ask me every day what something costs when every price tag is right next to or right below every item. People ask me what brand a computer is when it's in very obvious contrasting font right on the front. People walk into the store and ask me where the TVs are despite the fact that the entire back wall is plastered with huge, bright TVs at all times. I'm betting that a majority of normal consumers would be fooled by that graph.

I assume that would apply almost anywhere though, not just the US. About the graph, I'm not saying non-retards would fall for it, I'm just saying a graph should be...you know...a visual representation of the data...

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I assume that would apply almost anywhere though, not just the US. About the graph, I'm not saying non-retards would fall for it, I'm just saying a graph should be...you know...a visual representation of the data...

I agree but we all know that marketing is just another word for lying.

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

humEcjs.png

TIL I'm retarted for making fun of stuff like this 

and that doesnt mislead me because they labeled the axis. it only misleads people who cant read and dont know kindergarten math

and the amd one is even less misleading because they put a big 40% IPC improvement next to the line on the example above maybe some people dont read the axis but it is almost impossible to miss the 40% ipc improvement on the amd graph

While I personally expect Zen to deliver, and I'm very excited for it....

This interview literally told us nothing. Nothing at all. The guy is head of Marketing. It's all PR speak. Not that I expected the PR guy to really give us anything too juicy in a random Interview. They'll save the juicy bits for some big reveal at a Press Release Conference at one of the big Computer Trade Shows, like E3 or something.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

and that doesnt mislead me because they labeled the axis. it only misleads people who cant read and dont know kindergarten math

and the amd one is even less misleading because they put a big 40% IPC improvement next to the line on the example above maybe some people dont read the axis but it is almost impossible to miss the 40% ipc improvement on the amd graph

All that means is that IPC imroved 40%. Total performance could still have increased more. So, no the graph is misleading. Not to mention:

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

.... a graph should be...you know...a visual representation of the data...

Graphs were created to make data easily understandable at an instantaneous glance. Marketing departments all just use misleading graphs because it's lying without technically lying.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

LCKvA47.png

lol wut. Is it referring to vending machines being broken or people die during the use of vending machines?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

All that means is that IPC imroved 40%. Total performance could still have increased more. So, no the graph is misleading. Not to mention:

Graphs were created to make data easily understandable at an instantaneous glance. Marketing departments all just use misleading graphs because it's lying without technically lying.

the graph is only about ipc it doesnt say anything about performance

1 hour ago, ApolloFury said:

lol wut. Is it referring to vending machines being broken or people die during the use of vending machines?

I think shaking them and having them fall on top of you. A few people a year die from that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the graph is only about ipc it doesnt say anything about performance

This is a good point to emphasize: I currently don't doubt the 40% ipc gain, but I love the graphs making 40% look bigger than it is. Marketing, NVIDIA and intel do it too 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

This is a good point to emphasize: I currently don't doubt the 40% ipc gain, but I love the graphs making 40% look bigger than it is. Marketing, NVIDIA and intel do it too 

You mean where they showed Summit Ridge being twice the performance of Orochi? Honestly given the 5960X's multi-threaded performance relative to a 8350, which is something like twice as fast on a conservative estimate, then that's probably not as misleading as one would think if Zen's going to be somewhere around that level of performance.

11 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You mean where they showed Summit Ridge being twice the performance of Orochi? Honestly given the 5960X's multi-threaded performance relative to a 8350, which is something like twice as fast on a conservative estimate, then that's probably not as misleading as one would think if Zen's going to be somewhere around that level of performance.

I don't know. I'm skeptical that it will be at that level, but I'm still hopeful for the fresh start. I really don't want to judge their performance until it comes out, and if it's good enough I'll probably make an AMD system. I have a 5820k in my gaming system and zen doesn't have to necessarily beat it in IPC to win me over, as if the per core performance is good enough, 8 cores would still make for a good workstation part even if they still weren't caught up to intel, as the price will likely be much better. Not to mention SMT, they've already confirmed 16 threads, so I'm happy about that already. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I don't know. I'm skeptical that it will be at that level, but I'm still hopeful for the fresh start. I really don't want to judge their performance until it comes out, and if it's good enough I'll probably make an AMD system. I have a 5820k in my gaming system and zen doesn't have to necessarily beat it in IPC to win me over, as if the per core performance is good enough, 8 cores would still make for a good workstation part even if they still weren't caught up to intel, as the price will likely be much better. Not to mention SMT, they've already confirmed 16 threads, so I'm happy about that already. 

I don't see why it couldn't. Even the most conservative estimates puts Zen right at Sandy Bridge performance, and lord knows Haswell isn't much faster than that. My chief concern is memory performance rather than IPC, there's no mention what kind of memory controller Zen is going to have other than DDR4. 

9 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I don't see why it couldn't. Even the most conservative estimates puts Zen right at Sandy Bridge performance, and lord knows Haswell isn't much faster than that. My chief concern is memory performance rather than IPC, there's no mention what kind of memory controller Zen is going to have other than DDR4. 

my worry about the performance estimate putting it right at sandy will really hurt it in headlines, when I don't think winning strait performance out of the gate is the measure of success here. Given that bulldozer was a pile of shit and they still improved on that somewhat, Zen will likely get better. Not to mention I gamed on 2600 non-k until recently and still use it as a workstation. Still good performance today with sandy. If AMD can offer their new chip at significantly less than whatever 1151 quad core intel is offering at the time of Zen's launch, or the 2011-3 6 cores around the same price,  I think it will be a serious choice, especially for those not going for purely gaming.

And god I hope they go with typical AMD tradition and release a super power hungry balls to the wall version, like the 9590....but good. Would love an excuse to make a custom loop again. Unfortunately that would mean another situation with insufficient power delivery on motherboards with AMD sockets.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

muh specs 

All parts black

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I'm glad there's someone actually talking about the interview.

The head of marketing you say? That's the guy who needs to step it up or be replaced by Nvidia's Marketing Director.

Read the Interview, really did contain nothing new that we didn't know from elsewhere. A shame.

He's marketing manager for desktop processors. Their desktop processors are all pretty bad, so what's he supposed to do?

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

He's marketing manager for desktop processors. Their desktop processors are all pretty bad, so what's he supposed to do?

ITLL BE BETTER I PROMISE BUT I CANT TELL YOU ANYTHING YET ITS ALL UNDER NDA BUT I PROMISE JUST BELIEVEEEE

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Fair enough.

But we need some talent on the marketing side. And hopefully Zen comes out better marketed than Polaris has been.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just want actual official info already! :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

That graph is so retarded.... wow hahahaha who starts a graph at 0.9 makes it look like 4x the performance if youre far away from the stage and the font is size 5 ffs... lmao bs marketing hype. Obvs if you look at the numbers is 40% better but HONESTLY start your fucking graph at 0 for us to tell how fast it is based on the WHOLE BARS NOT SOME OF THE BARS... thats like this

vs.

ITS MISLEADING.

19 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm so excited I made a misleading marketing graph. 

Oh wait they beat me to it damn

4zS8gXP.jpg

I wonder if they realize that its now half way through 2016, their little graph there appears to show zen launching in the beginning of 2016, and hell... I love amd, but they are not that- er- skilled with graphs. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

15 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Total performance of some workloads may not have improved at all if we're just discussing General IPC. That won't be the case because AMD is adding a micro-op cache finally, but let's stop assuming things until the chip reviews come out.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

40 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

That won't be the case because AMD is adding a micro-op cache finally

They had that since steamroller.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

its all simple wait for Zen to drop stop speculating on fresh air grain of salt BS and then all will become clear

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Total performance of some workloads may not have improved at all if we're just discussing General IPC. That won't be the case because AMD is adding a micro-op cache finally, but let's stop assuming things until the chip reviews come out.

I'm not assuming anything. I was merely pointing out how the graph is technically misleading.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.