Testing the FPS of our eyes

vanished
7 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Eyes dont see in FPS.

you know, at least read the first two paragraphs of the OP...

on topic: should add this *has* to be done in natural light (AKA sunlight) because mains voltage is 50 or 60Hz, meaning your eyes will "see" the disk at 50/60fps, because of the flickering of the light.

if you ever messed with cheap LEDs you may have noticed it looks "low FPS" when you move your hand back and forth in the light - same effect, more noticable.

this is also why studios have SUPER expensive lights, and certainly high speed recording studios do, since the light "flicker" can have an effect on resulting image quality.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you know, at least read the first two paragraphs of the OP...

on topic: should add this *has* to be done in natural light (AKA sunlight) because mains voltage is 50 or 60Hz, meaning your eyes will "see" the disk at 50/60fps, because of the flickering of the light.

if you ever messed with cheap LEDs you may have noticed it looks "low FPS" when you move your hand back and forth in the light - same effect, more noticable.

this is also why studios have SUPER expensive lights, and certainly high speed recording studios do, since the light "flicker" can have an effect on resulting image quality.

also one of the reasons that filter capacitors are a thing

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

14 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Eyes dont see in FPS.

ugh... i hate Germans...

But can't you actually simulate that test on a 144hz Monitor for example? I mean, you could only measure as high as 144 but i doubt i'd get above that even.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

7 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

ugh... i hate Germans...

But can't you actually simulate that test on a 144hz Monitor for example? I mean, you could only measure as high as 144 but i doubt i'd get above that even.

the issue is your eyes would just see the 144Hz.

thats also why TV manufacturers are doing the "bajillion Hz backlight" thing, the flicker makes our eyes preceive the image as smoother, even though it isnt.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the issue is your eyes would just see the 144Hz.

thats also why TV manufacturers are doing the "bajillion Hz backlight" thing, the flicker makes our eyes preceive the image as smoother, even though it isnt.

Yeah i know, but if let's say, my result was like 110FPS perception anyways, then a 144hz Display would do the Job wouldnt it?

Or would the flickering and whatever ruin the result?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Yeah i know, but if let's say, my result was like 110FPS perception anyways, then a 144hz Display would do the Job wouldnt it?

Or would the flickering and whatever ruin the result?

the thing is our eyes adjust really well to what's in front of them. there's greater minds than you and i working on this topic, and these minds have suggested at around 600Hz the eyes lose the preception of the flicker all together and start to intepret it as a smooth image.

i should look into this topic more tbh, but i dont really care because i'm happy with 60Hz in front of my nose xD

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

Eyes dont see in FPS.

Really bro?! Your eyes must see in 0 fps in order for you to be incapable of reading the original post. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 hours ago, FloRolf said:

I think we'd want to start the tests around 144 hz or 165 hz and go up from there.  I expect the results to be over 200 or 300 fps

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a good video about this i tryed to find the information about the military tests but could not..

Needs Update

http://www.crystalinks.com/wagonwheeleffect.html

The first to observe the wagon-wheel effect under truly continuous illumination (such as from the sun) was Schouten (1967). He distinguished three forms of subjective stroboscopy which he called alpha, beta, and gamma: Alpha stroboscopy occurs at 8-12 cycles per second; the wheel appears to become stationary, although "some sectors [spokes] look as though they are performing a hurdle race over the standing ones" (p. 48). Beta stroboscopy occurs at 30-35 cycles per second: "The distinctness of the pattern has all but disappeared. At times a definite counterrotation is seen of a grayish striped pattern" (pp. 48-49). Gamma stroboscopy occurs at 40-100 cycles per second: "The disk appears almost uniform except that at all sector frequencies a standing grayish pattern is seen ... in a quivery sort of standstill

But critically its important to understand its quite rare and usually a trick requiring a specific layout of patterns to work, we don't perceive all rotations with the wagon wheel effect. Most of what we see as the still fan blades is just an artifact of cameras, its not what we see in real life. It also doesn't say much about the FPS that we need to fool the eyes into not being able to distinguish from reality because we already have tests at considerably higher frame rates where we know the motion is better, so it isn't a useful experiment other than being another weird way our eyes have odd artefacts they see.

On 6/2/2016 at 3:54 PM, revsilverspine said:

Finally found it!

A nice little "explanation" with some useful info and sources: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7199031187

That is not actually seeing 220 fps.  That only means that within the single refresh rate of a human eye (assume for now 1/60th of a second), a 1/220th second burst of light is sufficient enough to be recognizable to the human eye.  

Likewise a bolt of lightning lasts between 1 to 50 microseconds, well below the human eye refresh rate.  We can only tell that a lightning flash took place, but we couldn't figure out how long it lasted.

For the same experiment, flash the image 1/220th of a second.  Then flash the image twice as bright for 1/440th of a second.  If they can tell the difference then they can truly see 220 fps.