Is it ok to run hardware at hotter temps for silence?

hex4

I literally have everything at a minimum in my chassis, all fans at 50% which is dead silent, we are talking 23 decibel ambient room noise measured from a highly sensitive phone mic.

However from this the GTX 580 will now ramp up to 79c, at worst case 83c i saw as max temp, and CPU up to 79c.

Thing is, will it have a huge impact on components?

With fans on performance mode 580 won't break 70-75c, CPU under 75 at all times.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

The cooler the better - heat will wear the components out faster, but they will probably still last a full lifetime anyway (ie you'll upgrade before they break)

Try to keep it under 83 C though; that's where nvidia cards throttle, so if it is hitting that, you could be missing out on performance

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Not too bad but it will shorten the lifespan by a bit

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

gpu should be fine under 90c and cpu is recommended limit is 81c by intel so as long as it stays where you are now it's looking good

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

For every 10C you subject to hardware, you cut its expected life span in half. That said, I don't know how long these chips are supposed to last, so it's a crapshoot. Thermal stressing might be an issue though.

Do you have source for that or is it personal experience? Its first time I've heard so harsh estimate. Normally people say that running components over the safe marging will shorten lifetime for few years per year it runs that way. So like running GPU for 90C a year will drop lifetime from 10 years to 7 years. Not from 10 years to 5 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's a rule of thumb in the electronics industry.

http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1262

http://www.kooltronic.com/downloads/K1182.pdf

It could be life span, it could be reliability (whatever that means to you). Either way, nonlinear/nonlogarithmic curve to it

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's a rule of thumb in the electronics industry.

http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1262

http://www.kooltronic.com/downloads/K1182.pdf

It could be life span, it could be reliability (whatever that means to you). Either way, nonlinear/nonlogarithmic curve to it

Yes, I see where you get this. Problem is that PC hardware doesn't really run at those high temps all the time. It would be different if OP would have asked about doing heavy renedering, folding etc. for 24/7 without proper cooling. That would have been big no-no. But running up to 10C higher idle/low/normal load temps doesn't really matter. Most people will change hardware before end of lifespan is shown. We are talking about 50C idle, 60C low load and 70C normal load. Something like heavy and gaming load with 80-95C I wouldn't recommend for longer than few hours per day.

The articles are oriented to machinery and electronics which are used at those temps either 24/7 or for over 10h per day (automotive). If PC part would be used at really high load and temps for long periods (lets say 1 year), it would be prominent to fail much faster than component used normally for same period. This can easily be seen in GPUs used to coin mining.

My last point is how PC components are made to handle changing temps. One of linked articles talks about how ambient temp and fast changes in temps may also have effects. With PCs this isn't really issue. Like CPU can go from 80C normal load temp back to 37C idle in seconds. And do that all day long for its whole usage time of 7 years. Ambient with PCs has more effect as essentially higher ambient raises temps inside the case. But since we are talking about passive cooling in first place, it also pays little matter here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well thanks for all the replies folks, i won't be on this hardware too long, the XEON was a short term upgrade from the first gen i3 i had.

With RX 480 coming and how impressive it is looking so far that might be what i upgrade to from this old dog 580, and ZEN is looking incredibly promising so far.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64