Steam Controller announced!

Samdb

I have a feeling this won't sell much and they'll sort it with a version 2 of the controller.

This is a prototype, they are not selling it, from their website...

we now believe we’ve arrived at something worth sharing and testing with you.

We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller, and now we want your help with the design process.

It's supposed to change. In the course of the beta testing program I will be surprised if they don't make changes to SteamOS and the controller.

They tried to be unique here, didn't work.

I don't see this as an attempt to be unique. I see this as an attempt to make certain genres like RTS and FPS work better from the couch, compared to traditional controllers. In the past these genres worked a lot better with keyboard and mouse. But the problem with keyboard and mouse is that you need a solid smooth surface to rest them on which makes them more cumbersome in the living room despite being perfect in the bed room.

Whether it works or not in it's current form I don't know, our opinions here have little weight as we have not tried it for ourselves. You would need a couple of weeks with it to make a judgement.

This is a prototype, they are not selling it, from their website...

we now believe we’ve arrived at something worth sharing and testing with you.

We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller, and now we want your help with the design process.

It's supposed to change. In the course of the beta testing program I will be surprised if they don't make changes to SteamOS and the controller.

I don't see this as an attempt to be unique. I see this as an attempt to make certain genres like RTS and FPS work better from the couch, compared to traditional controllers. In the past these genres worked a lot better with keyboard and mouse. But the problem with keyboard and mouse is that you need a solid smooth surface to rest them on which makes them more cumbersome in the living room despite being perfect in the bed room.

Whether it works or not in it's current form I don't know, our opinions here have little weight as we have not tried it for ourselves. You would need a couple of weeks with it to make a judgement.

I know it's a prototype, but I can't see the testers having much of an impact on the touch pads... What I was saying is if it goes out similar to how it is now. Sales figures matter more than is a bunch of tester love it or not.

I would have to use it to know if I liked it or not, but I'm not buying one to see.

And I see why they have done this, you can't ship a console without an official controller. I just don't like the idea of touch pads, it'll fell a bit like gaming with a laptop and no mouse.

Also, I do see it as being unique, how many controllers have a couple touch pads on them that replace the thumb sticks?

If you can move/pan around at the speed of your thumb instead of at the mercy of the joystick's set speed... I'll get one.  

I never liked current joystick designs anyway... the sticks are too high and changes angle too much when moving.  The PSP with the almost flat "analog joystick" was better.

One thing, if there's latency like wireless controllers... it will kill it.

My Rigs (past and present)

Wow guys, give it a chance before saying it s completely dumb.

Right now I m just seeing every one panicking when seeing something new...

Well that s just make me facepalm when what most people like about the PC is having more options.

At least wait till some people try it and do some reviews, right now all wee got is a pic.

On another note, I think it s a good idea, I never liked analog sticks too much. When it comes out I'll probably try it. But I do own, a hydra, a 360 pad, a nostromo, and a ps3 controller so think whatever you want.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I WANT TO USE IT RIGHT NOW.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Also, I do see it as being unique, how many controllers have a couple touch pads on them that replace the thumb sticks?

It is unique, what I said I don't think they are trying to be unique just for the sake of being unique.

I think they are trying to make certain genres more accessible in the living room.

I really want this. Mostly for games like Splinter Cell. Idk why but for some reason playing them with a mouse and keyboard just doesnt seem right

Maybe I was too dismissive of it. I remember back in the 90's when people must have been all wtf when the N64 came out and that controller ended up being one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.

• 2 years later...

This controller is good.

Visit back here in 2 years, quote this post, and apologize for how wrong you haters will become.

Sorry mate, not out yet  :(  

Sorry mate, not out yet  :(  

Mine is in the mail from them now :D

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Mine is in the mail from them now :D

Something else is coming in the mail

Something else is coming in the mail

Well so is the blizzcon goodie bag, and other things. :o

Well so is the blizzcon goodie bag, and other things. :o

nah

it's deez nuts

nah

it's deez nuts

That american guy that was in the american polls for a while? Why would he come to ireland?

Locked. No thread necroing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch