What makes this Forum so bad?

Tocsin_786

after reading through the comments on : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/601671-worst-community-you-have-ever-been-a-member-of/

What makes you think that LTT is a bad community? This is the only forum that i have actively been apart of and it feels great because it doesnt always feel like a forum but rather a good place to spend time. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

The amount of reposts cos idiots can't do a simple search... or look at the forum their posting in...

Or don't care, and still wanna repost thinking THEIR thread will gain the most traction... amongst the already 15 threads available on that particular news item...

GTX1080 Founders edition news... for example.

Every single leak = 15 new threads on the same thing by users who want a better REP on here.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

after reading through the comments on : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/601671-worst-community-you-have-ever-been-a-member-of/

What makes you think that LTT is a bad community? This is the only forum that i have actively been apart of and it feels great because it doesnt always feel like a forum but rather a good place to spend time. 

Well not that I have anything against this community but these are somethings I have noticed but they are not exclusive to this forum.

Spam, members attacking members, members attacking staff, a general dislike of new members, members disregarding forum rules, repetitive threads even when the same topic is less then 2 topics down, buggy forum software.

But really most of these have been problems on every forum I have been a part of.

38 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

The amount of reposts cos idiots can't do a simple search... or look at the forum their posting in...

Or don't care, and still wanna repost thinking THEIR thread will gain the most traction... amongst the already 15 threads available on that particular news item...

GTX1080 Founders edition news... for example.

Every single leak = 15 new threads on the same thing by users who want a better REP on here.

That's all very true and I have noticed it as well. That's why i mostly lurk on the forums now and don't post (haven't posted a lot since I ended my WYR series couple months ago). I guess I still like the forums because of the nostalgia that it has given us from the early days. You can probably relate because you joined around the same time as me. I still have the Christmas hat on from 2013 way back when :P 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Nostalgia is what keeps me here, certain peeps,... certain threads... absolutely.

I don't post much news, just offer nuggets of wisdom in the troubleshooting section...

News sections are great to read, but also very bad in regards to re-toasts.

But I'll still keep coming back,... and I'll take what I can get in regards to news & info from here before looking elsewhere.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Nostalgia is what keeps me here, certain peeps,... certain threads... absolutely.

I don't post much news, just offer nuggets of wisdom in the troubleshooting section...

But I'll still keep coming back,... and I'll take what I can get in regards to news & info from here before looking elsewhere.

Even though the news section can get horrid sometimes. Once the hype topics are out of the way like the GPU news and what not, its actually fairly good at the information that I gain from there. I find things that I never knew were coming to fruition by visiting that sub forum. Its still leaps and bounds better than some other forums that I have visited for troubleshooting things. 

7 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I'm basically still here because of the anime club and like 5 people in the mechanical keyboard club

The amount of people in here who don't know what kind of threads go where astounds me.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

1 hour ago, Charger said:

Well not that I have anything against this community but these are somethings I have noticed but they are not exclusive to this forum.

Spam, members attacking members, members attacking staff, a general dislike of new members, members disregarding forum rules, repetitive threads even when the same topic is less then 2 topics down, buggy forum software.

But really most of these have been problems on every forum I have been a part of.

If you think people attacking people is bad here go to reddit, the most extremist liberal bullshit people attacking everyone on there. I browsed the Marvel Studios reddit one day and holy shit, they want to kick out every male and every white person out of those movies and want everything to be about extremist racism and sexist and female and black power bullshit, except Captain America cause apparently he needs to be gay now. And if you disagree with their sexist racist bullshit you get like 400 downvotes. 

Far too many Americans that can't figure out the world is not America and it's not interested in their bullshit.

No disrespect to those Americans that don't fit in that description, of course.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

4 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Far too many Americans that can't figure out the world is not America and it's not interested in their bullshit.

I would quite honestly move to Canada before someone could finish asking if I would like to... if I could.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

the news section has been getting worse and worse. Its like a dumpsite for links. no one cares for the coc and the right way to post. But I still read it multiple times a day :)

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:33 PM, Tocsin_786 said:

That's all very true and I have noticed it as well. That's why i mostly lurk on the forums now and don't post (haven't posted a lot since I ended my WYR series couple months ago). I guess I still like the forums because of the nostalgia that it has given us from the early days. You can probably relate because you joined around the same time as me. I still have the Christmas hat on from 2013 way back when :P 

Actually I was gonna tell you but I'm making a game out of Would You Rather. Remind me to tell you more about it in like a few weeks.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, Mo_z_Art said:

the news section has been getting worse and worse. Its like a dumpsite for links. no one cares for the coc and the right way to post. But I still read it multiple times a day :)

Exactly!

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, harrynowl said:

The members of course :P 

Oh come on. I'm not that bad am I?

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:17 PM, killcomic said:

Excuse me? GTFO. As an American, I am quite displeased with what you have said.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, Newenthusiast said:

Its not. 

It's actually a great community

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

#firstworldproblems

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

All the salty people who can't accept that other opinions exist and have to make everything a flamewar.

And when someone is even slightly wrong, this community doesn't politely say it, but has to correct it in the most rude ways possible.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually I was gonna tell you but I'm making a game out of Would You Rather. Remind me to tell you more about it in like a few weeks.

It's been like 4 weeks. What is this game you speak of? 

3 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

It's been like 4 weeks. What is this game you speak of? 

I'm making a client for Would You Rather. Ill make it open source when I have the time to work more on it.

the idea is that you can choose to answer would you rather questions made by people and submitted OR you can let the client randomly make a would you rather question with silly answers :).

and once you finish a question you can move onto the next.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm making a client for Would You Rather. Ill make it open source when I have the time to work more on it.

the idea is that you can choose to answer would you rather questions made by people and submitted OR you can let the client randomly make a would you rather question with silly answers :).

oh thats awesome, feel free to utilize my 300+ WYR questions if you need to! 

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

4 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

oh thats awesome, feel free to utilize my 300+ WYR questions if you need to! 

Sounds awesome!!

To answer the OP question It's not like it used to be. Back in the days it was much less toxic :P . Now I get on every once in awhile check up on things and give some troubleshooting advice. Mostly why I think it's gone hill is that most of the people post the exact same questions over and over and over again. If people did basic research for themselves it wouldn't be so bad :P.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

On 5/27/2016 at 1:17 AM, killcomic said:

I don't count myself as one of those but may I say that I have noticed more of the opposite in which several members (including those whom were banned) who are not from the US constantly made insinuations about and towards the US. I don't particularly care for those individuals or insinuations and that is my only real beef with the forum.

(I don't count you as one of those.)

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

<snip>

Excuse me? GTFO. As an American, I am quite displeased with what you have said.

<snip>

Most definitely uncalled for. His opinion is his own and he has the right to express it just same as you do. @killcomic is correct though, there have been several in the past that attempted to interject US point of view or at least their point of view as to what they interpreted as US p.o.v. to be.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I reckon it's just the fact that it's become more and more a continuation of the YouTube comments. Back in good ol' 2013/14, it was so much better.

Off Topic used to be better too, when it appered in the sidebar of recent posts, people would actually post in it. Now, it's pretty bleak, with perhaps one truly noteworthy thread every week. Most of the old gang is gone, either banned or bored of the samey threads, mostly full of hear say.

I think that the fact that most of the forum oldies have gone away has contributed to the toxicity and uselessness of this forum. It's difficult to get help here if you've got a genuine problem, the people who'd reply to those threads and in turn help them out are gone. In their place, children who don't know their ankle from their elbow, thus contributing to a decline into an abyss of misinformation, childish comments and worthless discussion.

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I don't count myself as one of those but may I say that I have noticed more of the opposite in which several members (including those whom were banned) who are not from the US constantly made insinuations about and towards the US. I don't particularly care for those individuals or insinuations and that is my only real beef with the forum.

(I don't count you as one of those.)

Most definitely uncalled for. His opinion is his own and he has the right to express it just same as you do. @killcomic is correct though, there have been several in the past that attempted to interject US point of view or at least their point of view as to what they interpreted as US p.o.v. to be.

Not wanting to backseat Mod here but civilized commentary please?

I think it became even worse was when they updated the site. Thats when most of my posts (and mainly the WYR series i did) stopped getting a lot of participation and traction. It used to take a few minutes to see replies on posts. These days I'd be lucky to get 1 or two replies, this post alone took a day to get traction. Back then it would be a matter of minutes for popular and interesting posts to get interaction and some hours to get replies on other posts. 

1 minute ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I think it became even worse was when they updated the site. Thats when most of my posts (and mainly the WYR series i did) stopped getting a lot of participation and traction. It used to take a few minutes to see replies on posts. These days I'd be lucky to get 1 or two replies, this post alone took a day to get traction. Back then it would be a matter of minutes for popular and interesting posts to get interaction and some hours to get replies on other posts. 

I have noticed that as well. I think someone asked (was it you) I don't remember whom, about getting the off topics to appear in the recent topics sidebar and think the mods replied about it saying that off topics weren't suppose to before but the previous forum setup would not let it be an option or something to that effect.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER