WD Black Tick noise. Failing?

Raphael_123

Hello everyone!

My WD Black HDD started making this tick noise since about a week ago. or maybe i didnt notice it before but this noise is becoming annoying as my PC is in my desk and I can hear it ticking. 

I downloaded WD diagnostic program. It says the drive is fine. 

Here is a video of the HDD making the noise. Sorry about the background white noise. My PC fans were off when making the video.

https://goo.gl/photos/FaMABVz8WxVc9gig7

What do you guys think? Time to RMA?

More Info

Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

The drive is only use as a backup Drive.

All my drives have the idle or speed down set to never.

sounds like what a WD black does xD

remember, a WD black is fast, its just also a midget banging the side of your case with a hammer :P

mine's encased in neopreen for a reason.

It was hard to hear, but I think I do hear a bit of clicking. Not sure if that is being close to dying or whatever, but I have a WD Black and mine doesn't make that noise.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Im not sure about this particular issue.
But usually if something normally doesn't make a noise and now it is, it's a problem. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

wait for @Captain_WD

he is our resident HDD guru from WD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

A "clicking" like that makes me wary...doesn't sound like the normal seeking sound to me. I think i'd plan for a second drive and back up my data ASAP.

1 hour ago, Raphael_123 said:

-snip-

What test did you run? The Extended run test? If not, you should try that one for WD tools.

Yeah, you mostly care if you hear a click click click (like it's repeating in quick bursts...that's how mine sounded when it died). Mine was a 8 year old 2TB WD Black. To me though, it does sound like it's failing (It sounds similar to my dead WD drive...it keeps repeating trying to seek)

I did the quick test and it pass. Now I am doing the extended run(about 70% done). Is not a bursts clicking noise. It just ticks every 2 - 5 constantly. Is something I just notice a few days back. 

As is doing the test it sounds normal HDD noise.

11 hours ago, Raphael_123 said:

I did the quick test and it pass. Now I am doing the extended run(about 70% done). Is not a bursts clicking noise. It just ticks every 2 - 5 constantly. Is something I just notice a few days back. 

As is doing the test it sounds normal HDD noise.

Hmm, it sounds normal to me. If it survived that extended run test, it should be good.

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, it sounds normal to me. If it survived that extended run test, it should be good.

Extended test pass. Updated Asmedia SATA controller, rebooted and have not hear the drive.

Thanks everyone! I will report back if it starts doing the noise again. 

18 hours ago, Raphael_123 said:

~snip~

Hi Raphael_123 :)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation. HDD noise can indeed be quite irritating especially when there are no indications of any problems whatsoever. 
If the drive is passing all the tests of WD DLG it should be safe to operate with. 

Swapping cables or even re-positioning the drive can sometimes help reduce such noises.

Updating the controller is known to sometimes help in such situations so good job on figuring it out. 

One suggestion - since this is a backup drive I would keep it detached from the system at all times with exceptions of the backup processes for better data safety and, of course, less noise. 

I'd still check the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and keep an eye on them every once in a while as they can give you a more detailed info on the drive's condition. If you are not sure how to read them - feel free to post them here. 

Ask away if there's anything else I can do for you :) Thanks @dragoon20005 for mentioning! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

20 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

snip

Captain_WD, the only industry affiliate that has a troll pic :D

gg

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

12 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

~snip~

What do you mean... That's me right there... I was just too busy to shave those days ..

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

2 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

What do you mean... That's me right there... I was just too busy to shave those days ..

Oh, that's me in my profile pic too, a cuple of years old but still looking fresh 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!