MicroSoft giving up on consumer market for smartphones; cuts 1850 jobs

zMeul
2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Also music on Windows Phone? How is that because like that might suck too. Or just third party apps for like Google Play Music and/or music streaming like Spotify and Pandora.

There's Spotify (they've shown recent interest in making their app better).

There's Pandora, iHeart Radio and a few others. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's Spotify (they've shown recent interest in making their app better).

There's Pandora, iHeart Radio and a few others. 

Oh, so mostly Music Streaming stuff.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Oh, so mostly Music Streaming stuff.

There are loads of apps which handle "Offline" playback.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are loads of apps which handle "Offline" playback.

I'm sure. So I take it Windows Mobile doesn't have a stock app for music playback?

Just now, wcreek said:

I'm sure. So I take it Windows Mobile doesn't have a stock app for music playback?

It does. It's called Microsoft Groove.

It's got a small issue.

It does. It's called Microsoft Groove.

It's got a small issue.

Oh, okay.

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Oh, okay.

Yeah it just has some issues.

mostly a few bugs

29 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Very true.

Home screen as in like the tile grid on Windows Mobile? To me a home screen is that first screen that you get when you press the home button. 

Like I could live with iOS because I can put stuff into folders, and I like doing that because I like my stuff being all over the place.

But I don't think that's a thing with Windows Mobile.

But like Windows 10 Mobile, actually isn't too bad. Just not sure I'd want it as a daily driver, because like I said the sort of standard Android look (Google Now) is really nice.

What is it you like about Windows Mobile anyways?

Live Tiles are cool.

I like the way Windows 10 Mobile looks.

I like consistency across devices.

And there's a whole lot of other reasons but I'm a little busy right now....

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

My mom probably uses 5 apps on a regular basis despite having more than 20 apps installed. The phone app (built in), messaging app (also built in), email client (also built in), the Ferry App (3rd party) and SuperCell's clone of Farmville (I can't remember the name) (3rd party).

And that's exactly why app compatibility is important. Imagine if your mom wanted to switch to a different OS because she really likes that new phone. But here is the problem, that platform doesn't support any of those 5 apps she uses most of the time and she has to find alternatives (if they even exist). The learning process and everything would be such a pain in the ass and she could go nuts (I know mine would, she got her first smartphone a year ago). Now if only someone released those apps on a different platform...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well actually, most people (I know you probably aren't like this) use a couple of apps 70% of the time and the rest 30%.

Most of the 70% people use like Facebook, Twitter, Facebook Messenger and Instagram (with their new app) are all there. It's the other % which aren't.

Tech savvy users will use more apps on a daily basis but people like my mom for example behave differently.

My mom probably uses 5 apps on a regular basis despite having more than 20 apps installed. The phone app (built in), messaging app (also built in), email client (also built in), the Ferry App (3rd party) and SuperCell's clone of Farmville (I can't remember the name) (3rd party).

The same thing could be said for GNU/Linux and OS X, and yet I don't see you running around telling everyone in every thread about how great those OSes are, and how everyone should abandon Windows for them.

I would not be surprised if the web browser handles 70% of what your average users use their computer for.

31 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And that's exactly why app compatibility is important. Imagine if your mom wanted to switch to a different OS because she really likes that new phone. But here is the problem, that platform doesn't support any of those 5 apps she uses most of the time and she has to find alternatives (if they even exist). The learning process and everything would be such a pain in the ass and she could go nuts (I know mine would, she got her first smartphone a year ago). Now if only someone released those apps on a different platform...

Lol each platform has a phone app and a messaging app and an email app.

She rarely uses the ferry app but she plays the game quite a lot.

And besides she uses an iPhone (a 4S lol)  and doesn't care about tech that much so she wouldn't switch.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The same thing could be said for GNU/Linux and OS X, and yet I don't see you running around telling everyone in every thread about how great those OSes are, and how everyone should abandon Windows for them.

I would not be surprised if the web browser handles 70% of what your average users use their computer for.

Cos OS X is mostly fine in terms of app compatibility. There are some exceptions but it's mainly fine.

Linux is a bad joke. The driver support is shitty, app compatibility is worse than WP's app gap.

Lol each platform has a phone app and a messaging app and an email app.

Yes they have, but many people use only 3rd party messaging/email apps and can't stand the build in ones (still haven't encountered a person that doesn't use build in phone app). And I don't know a single person that uses buil in email app.

And I am talking figuratively. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Finder is an absolute bitch to use and find anything which is kinda ironic.

Also, Launchpad is absolutely terrible. Lack of a Personal Digital assistant is also terrible. Objective C is really bad. OS X has no support or consideration for touch screens. And it's just a mess with 50% of the Mac Apps in the Mac App Store and the other 50% which are downloaded from websites.

At least Microsoft differentiates the apps from the store from the programs downloaded from a browser. UWP apps are exclusive to the Store and traditional Win32 programs are exclusive to downloading from browsers.

Microsoft offers a far superior multi window Split screen experience in the form of snapping programs to the sides of your screen.

Even Microsoft Office for Mac lacks key programs like Publisher or Access. Key tools for professionals.

The lack of customizability is a big disadvantage for Apple.

Finder: Finder is great, the search function is OSX is amazing, the way you can use tags are awesome too, honestly I prefer it to windows explorer for organisation etc and otherwise its basically on par with windows explorer in terms of functionality,

Launchpad is great, its like an iOS style launcher for all your apps/programs, on a macbook/trackpad its a quick gesture, and boom, all your apps easy to find and organise into folders

Personal assistant? dont care, I dont use cortana on windows, really I only find assistants useful on the iPhone, and Siri is fine, though I have used it maybe 10 times

Apple dont make touch screen desktops etc and I am glad, touch and touch interfaces are for tablets and smartphones, im sure when Apple are ready they will create an iOS like interaface for OSX and create a touch API as part of OS11 or whatever

OSX has snapping/split view, also airplay display mirroring, expose and spaces, so its 10x better at windows 10 than this 

Publisher and Access are not on OSX because Microsft are purposefully not supporting it, and being little bitches about it, can always run parallels and run Windows on there if you need :) then you can run all your windows apps too and using parallels you can keep using the OSX system and run windows apps without ever seeing windows (if you REALLY REALLY need)

Customizability? thats only really a problem on iOS

I am not even an OSX user, have you ever really used it for any length of time?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

56 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Linux is a bad joke. The driver support is shitty, app compatibility is worse than WP's app gap.

Oh really?

Drivers are kind of hit and miss I will give you that, but these days there are far more hits than misses. I installed GNU/Linux on my laptop for a project and everything worked 100% perfectly out of the box. Didn't even have to download the drivers from the manufacturers website. For most people, it would not be an issue. The one area where it is quite far behind Windows is when it comes to GPU drivers, and even then it's mostly just performance in games.

Oh, so now all of a sudden app compatibility is important? Would you say the line between "it's an issue" and "it's not an issue" is just above GNU/Linux, and just below Windows Phone then? How convenient... Personally I think it highly depends on what you use. I would be very surprised if GNU/Linux had fewer programs than Windows Phone does, but like you pointed out before, most people use their browser for 70% of the stuff (or more). Since you seem perfectly fine with telling people to just stop using the other 30%, I will make the same argument for GNU/Linux. I mean, it is a God awful argument, but I am going to use it against you to make you realize how bad it is.

And I will also use the (terrible) argument that "it's not GNU/Linux's fault. Blame the developers!". Because obviously it is not an issue as long as it's not GNU/Linux's (or Microsoft's) fault that there is a serious lack of programs that runs on the platform. Just blame the developers, then tell people to stop being "little bitches" and tell them to abandon the platform that clearly suits their needs and move to one that doesn't.

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cos OS X is mostly fine in terms of app compatibility. There are some exceptions but it's mainly fine.

Double standard much? 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Apps should be fluid in use from one OS to the next. This is the problem with the Phone OS environment.

To no end you can use any number of apps that are available to each OS but there are anywhere from subtle to major differences on how an app is designed or functions from OS to OS. I don't care if the subtle difference is due to OS's differences and that is fine. The issue that needs to be resolved is the major inconsistencies that stem because a developer prefers one OS to the other. If you chose to put an app on an OS you should have to give it the same full support as the another OS the App is on. Zero exceptions.

Why bother even taking the time to make a App for an OS then launch it on another OS just short hand or purposefully retard it abilities?

This is the real gap that exists between Phone OS's not a numerical lack of Apps per say. 

I could almost say that most developers treat customers that utilize phones in the same manner that highly looked down on in any other industry, discrimination. I have not and will not put down any other OS just to put down or say they suck because I prefer one over the other. Each OS has it strengths and its weaknesses and each in turn have their advantages. I personally like and prefer the Windows Phone OS because of the feel and fluid use I get from using it compared the others that I just don't care for just like I prefer the color burnt orange over neon yellow or burgundy over red. Each is as good as the other in their respect of their intended use. But if developers would stop discriminating between OS's and just develop then the argument would die and people can move around as they wish from phone to phone. 

Edited by SansVarnic
Fixed a few grammatical errors.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 25/05/2016 at 2:13 PM, LukeTim said:

No need to give up. Just stop putting Windows on your phones and you'll see an instant boost in sales.

Couldn't have been said better. Their high-end models are well-built, industrial looking with a premium feel in the hand. The software really just throws it all away.

On 25/05/2016 at 6:59 PM, LAwLz said:

Why does your Microsoft related posts always sound like they were taken straight from a sales brochure?

LOL

On 25/05/2016 at 2:44 PM, deviant88 said:

-snip-

I hope they switch back to developing for desktop/laptop/ultrabooks before someone else takes over those aswell and microsoft is forgotten and dead.

To be honest developers are moving towards web-based apps and mobile phone software. Developing for Windows (as good and as solid as C# and other .NET languages are) is still restricting yourself to one platform and one extra step a consumer must take before using your software (installing the .net runtimes). With a web browser or mobile app, it's going to work out of the box, every time, on any device. Web apps are also easy to keep up to date (user downloading and installing software VS refreshing a webpage). I'm sure there are some things I'm missing. Right now the only windows apps on my system are Office, various programming ides, and a truckload of homebrew client software and utilities.

On 25/05/2016 at 1:13 PM, GoodBytes said:

Oh yea? When they did this... Last I checked, there is not a single ad of Windows Phone in the past 3 years of any kind.

I honestly don't remember seeing a windows phone ad in my life. The only time I've come close to one is online reviews of a Windows phone device. I gotta admit their marketing should have done a better job and PR should have really considered loading android onto one of their high-end models imo, not that plastic nonsense.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

On 25/05/2016 at 1:13 PM, Master Disaster said:

Same reason why they insist on pushing the Windows Store as a gaming platform. They're like that kid that touches the stove and burns himself but can't help going back and touching it again just to make sure it was that which burned them.

Sadia Nadalla (that's prob spelled wrong but I can't he arsed to go Google it to check) has made great progress in some areas but seems to have ignored the places where MS have traditionally done badly.

They aren't pushing the windows store as a gaming platform though. They are promoting it as a service that allows you access to a multitude of different apps of all kinds. It isn't comparing itself to steam, or the likes, or in any way trying to be their competitor.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

On May 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM, rhyseyness said:

WOW that's a bold statement!

msft stocks.jpg

Hahaha you slaughtered the kid.

gj