Pebble technology announces brand new Pebble 2, Pebble Time 2 and Pebble Core

ecde3689093d8d13efb960778fa34d18_origina

Pebble Technology has launched their third kickstarter campaign for the smartwatch underdog that promises long lasting battery life compared to the rest of the industry. Pebble 2 and Pebble time 2 share similar features like: 24/7 heart rate monitor, up to 30 meters of water resistance, built-in activity and sleep tracker and a built-in microphone, where they differ is in battery life, 7 days the Pebble 2 and 10 days the Pebble Time 2, display, high contrast black and white e-ink display on the Pebble while a 53% larger colour e-ink display on the Pebble Time 2 compared to the original Pebble Time, and price, the Pebble will retail for 99$ and the Pebble Time for 169$.

What is really new here is the introduction of a new device: the Pebble Core. 

2bac587dbf7448c6e48ce2aeb101ef35_origina

The Pebble Core is a device that is supposed to replace your smartphone during workout activities, the company describes it as: " [...] a lightweight, cellular-connected clip that replaces your phone entirely. It streams music from Spotify, tracks your pace, distance, and location with GPS, and can send an emergency SOS if needed, the company explained.".

It will come in to variations: the Core for runners and Core for hackers both priced at 69$. Core for Hackers is essentially a tiny Android computer that you can hack at your hearts content, it will feature an early access to the SDK, 2 programmable buttons and an hardware expansion port. While the Core for runners will be the phone replacement mentioned above.

e6398809157dea588022f006f2f871ed_origina

I've never been into the all activity tracker/smartwatch bandwagon cause i always saw them as just another device that i have to remember to plug in at night. The pebble as always been the most interesting to me due to their batteries longevity. sure 7-10 days is nothing compared to 2-3 years on your average analogue watch, but i finally may jump on this wagon if the bezels of the pebble time 2 are really as thin as portrayed on the campaign's pictures. 

source:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-2-time-2-and-core-an-entirely-new-3g-ultra?ref=emwhx9&utm_campaign=ks3&utm_content=hero&utm_medium=web&utm_source=pebble_homepage

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

They are an established company making money. Why the hell are they going to Kickstarter for their updated models? They shouldn't be allowed to do that, that's abusing the system.

when you also have big corporations like sony putting their moonshot projects on kickstarter, i've reached the conclusion that if you're not a startup kickstarter is a place to see if there are people interested in a new product and that can easily replace market research studies 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

It's already at $2.2 million vs their goal of $1 million with 36 days to go, I have a feeling they're going to break records again simply because it's just about the most reliable kickstarter you could back since they actually have proven they can ship product.

35 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

They are an established company making money. Why the hell are they going to Kickstarter for their updated models? They shouldn't be allowed to do that, that's abusing the system.

I guarantee you that Kickstarter is encouraging them to use their platform to launch these devices. It's a symbiotic marketing push for both Kickstarter and Pebble. Kickstarter puts them on the front page and promotes their device as one of the biggest Kickstarter successes and Kickstarter gets free advertising from tech sites.

If anything it would be nice if more companies used Kickstarter/a Kickstarter style system to gauge interest in devices and crowd source information on desired features that may not actually get put into a final consumer device due to profit margin targets. A sort of "you've requested these features, put your money where your mouth is". Not for every device, but for fringe devices with smaller initial markets.

Just ordered the Time 2.

I was interested in the Time 1, but thought the massive bezel ruined the looks, glad they've managed to increase the screen size.

Now, which colour....

I'm kind of disappointed with this....i was really hoping they would add some of the actual functionality that's in android wear / the Apple Watch. 

Heart rate sensor, larger screen, and a price drop doesn't really give anyone a reason to upgrade to one (although it makes buying one more compelling).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I feel like the Pebble Time products barely had any time on the market before they're replaced and at the same time, it seems like these new ones aren't that upgraded as to warrant a new product launch. They should have gone for a round premium watch with a 10 day battery life at least.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I feel like the Pebble Time products barely had any time on the market before they're replaced and at the same time, it seems like these new ones aren't that upgraded as to warrant a new product launch. They should have gone for a round premium watch with a 10 day battery life at least.

The time came out last spring and the time steel last summer/fall. So they're at least a year old, which is the upgrade cycle for a lot of products nowadays. The bigger issue is that not enough was changed to encourage any upgrades, just first time buyers/original pebble/steel owners.

They couldn't increase the rounds battery life without making thicker....which imo is the really nice thing about the round (and why I opted for the round in the first place). Better battery life, water resistance, smaller bezel, and added functionality would be nice for the round 2.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I like the idea of the time 2, but I'll stick with my time 1. I feel like Pebble is playing the smart watch game way too safe with small increments. At the very least, it doesn't give much incentive to upgrade unless you're looking for a smaller bezel.

Overall, I hope things work out well for Pebble. I enjoy my Time 1, and it would be a shame for Pebble to get left in the dust. 

17 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Pebble Technology has launched their third kickstarter campaign for the smartwatch underdog that promises long lasting battery life compared to the rest of the industry. Pebble 2 and Pebble time 2 share similar features like: 24/7 heart rate monitor, up to 30 meters of water resistance, built-in activity and sleep tracker and a built-in microphone, where they differ is in battery life, 7 days the Pebble 2 and 10 days the Pebble Time 2, display, high contrast black and white e-ink display on the Pebble while a 53% larger colour e-ink display on the Pebble Time 2 compared to the original Pebble Time, and price, the Pebble will retail for 99$ and the Pebble Time for 169$.

What is really new here is the introduction of a new device: the Pebble Core. 

The Pebble Core is a device that is supposed to replace your smartphone during workout activities, the company describes it as: " [...] a lightweight, cellular-connected clip that replaces your phone entirely. It streams music from Spotify, tracks your pace, distance, and location with GPS, and can send an emergency SOS if needed, the company explained.".

It will come in to variations: the Core for runners and Core for hackers both priced at 69$. Core for Hackers is essentially a tiny Android computer that you can hack at your hearts content, it will feature an early access to the SDK, 2 programmable buttons and an hardware expansion port. While the Core for runners will be the phone replacement mentioned above.

I've never been into the all activity tracker/smartwatch bandwagon cause i always saw them as just another device that i have to remember to plug in at night. The pebble as always been the most interesting to me due to their batteries longevity. sure 7-10 days is nothing compared to 2-3 years on your average analogue watch, but i finally may jump on this wagon if the bezels of the pebble time 2 are really as thin as portrayed on the campaign's pictures. 

source:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-2-time-2-and-core-an-entirely-new-3g-ultra?ref=emwhx9&utm_campaign=ks3&utm_content=hero&utm_medium=web&utm_source=pebble_homepage

I won't ever buy a Pebble until they officially support Windows 10 Mobile in it's full capacity.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I won't ever buy a Pebble until they officially support Windows 10 Mobile in it's full capacity.

don't get your hops high with their crashing marketshare no point for a small company like Pebble to support it and waste resources on it

43 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

don't get your hops high with their crashing marketshare no point for a small company like Pebble to support it and waste resources on it

A) Market share isn't crashing. Sales are dropping but that's different to market share

B) Pebble isn't that small. They could easily make a Windows 10 Mobile app using the existing IOS code. Really easy.

It isn't on Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone because the CEO doesn't like Microsoft.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

A) Market share isn't crashing. Sales are dropping but that's different to market share

B) Pebble isn't that small. They could easily make a Windows 10 Mobile app using the existing IOS code. Really easy.

It isn't on Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone because the CEO doesn't like Microsoft.

A) it is crashing (link

B) they are a small company (link)

OH yes!!! definitely! if you don't support wp10, you clearly MUST have a grudge against MS /s

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

A) it is crashing (link

B) they are a small company (link)

OH yes!!! definitely! if you don't support wp10, you clearly MUST have a grudge against MS /s

No their CEO actually was open about hating on Microsoft. Microsoft built a fully functional Pebble app for them FREE OF CHARGE............ and they refused.

Scroll down quite a bit on this page

https://gigaom.com/2015/02/26/this-may-be-why-the-pebble-isnt-supported-on-windows-phone/

And actually no, sales are crashing but sales != Market share. It simply means less people bought new windows phones.

I've said it before and I've said it again; Pebble, if you want me to take your product seriously, make something that doesn't look like a toy. The Time 2 is probably one of the best looking watch Pebble has released, and I will still never wear it. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB