Is 70% Rubbing Alcohol Good enough to Remove Thermal Paste off your CPU?

Go to solution Solved by suchamoneypit,

I use 70% on my stuff, it will work fine and won't corrode unless you leave it sitting on it.

Title says it all. Thermal paste is the standard intel stuff.

You shouldn't, use 96 or 98%, the 30% left in yours is water, which can corrode whatever it touches!

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Yes

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I use 70% on my stuff, it will work fine and won't corrode unless you leave it sitting on it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I heard from some videos from Linus and other build logs saying Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol that is above 70%-99% is good. So I'd say 70% is enough but still, closer to 99% is suggested.

20 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

If I can use those little wet towelette alcohol wipes you get on an air plane, I think 70% will be fine.

I normally just use the 70% Isopropyl that comes in the little spray bottle for cleaning glasses (specs); dab a bit of that on a piece of paper towel and then go to town and wiping away the thermal paste, cleaning up any excess/leftover with a clean section of the paper towel before tossing the towel.

It's how I cleaned the paste from my GTX780 before putting that under water with an EKWB block, same with my 2600K when I upgraded from the stock heatsink to a Antec H2O 920 then over to a Hyper 212 (after moving the 920 over to my 3770K system), same again when I upgraded my 3770K from the H2O 920 to a EKWB block. It's likely how I'm going to clean the thermal paste off of my 980Ti's when I get the blocks and loop parts to put them under water.

29 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

I usually use 70% and haven't had any problems. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yes and I've even used 40% vodka to do it once at school..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

More than enough.

You could honestly get away with using a slightly damp cloth to remove it, so long as you aren't doing it all the time.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||