ATTN Linux users

Which distro do you use and why?

Right now my Windows is FUBAR that it needs a reinstall. Not a single nVidia driver package is installing and I'm on a crappy generic driver. Most likely will reinstall Win7, but I'd like to know about some Linux distros from users that have experience and why you chose the distro that you did.

Just pointing out, I'm not really a fan of Unity when I tried Ubuntu 13 and the only other Linux distro I've tried was Mint 14.

I personally like Mint the best out of Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian and all the drivers being pre-installed for the most part and the UI is like windows but has much more customization.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I chose Arch but that's a more-technical one. I suggest Ubuntu (GNOME edition for me) and installing the 'nvidia' package. It's not just going to not install. If it doesn't install you're probably not using sudo.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are good choices for beginners. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Ubuntu 12.04 <3 or Lubuntu if you dislike Unity or there is also Cinnamon Ubuntu

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Right now I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 with Gnome. I didn't like Unity which was why I put gnome on it instead. I really like it, I had never used Ubuntu before, always used Debian but I wanted to try something different with my new system and I'll probably stay with it.

I use Fedora and CentOS because we use Red Hat based systems in my college. That being said, Ubuntu and Linux Mint seem to be the most popular for new Linux users.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be a bit late, But none the less i prefer Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS with the cinnamon Desktop. It's hardware compatibility is good all i needed was the nvidia drivers for my Geforce 210.

ElementryOS. It's Ubuntu but doesn't look like shit.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Arch... I seem to be one of the few.. But at least I know exactly what is on my system, :)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You can install any Distro and just install different window managers to get a different look, which lately is the defining program to differentiate Ubuntu which is the basis of all of them (Linuxes).

Before this enforced Window Manager (GUI) you had to pick one or more and then use the one you wanted, these day's they're trying to force you into one and make you think that is the Distro but its only the window manager, don't be fooled.

The branches are CentOS (the free RedHat), Fedora, and then the Ubunutu/Debian branch. I also count FreeBSD but if you get super technical its BSD not Linux (ohhhh,..) but you can get the same window managers and make it look like the regular Linuxes. Read up (as I may be not fully correct because it doesn't really matter to me in the big picture, just use one of them and then move on to another because some tend to die off and you don't want to end up on that dead branch)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You can install any Distro and just install different window managers to get a different look, which lately is the defining program to differentiate Ubuntu which is the basis of all of them (Linuxes).

Before this enforced Window Manager (GUI) you had to pick one or more and then use the one you wanted, these day's they're trying to force you into one and make you think that is the Distro but its only the window manager, don't be fooled.

The branches are CentOS (the free RedHat), Fedora, and then the Ubunutu/Debian branch. I also count FreeBSD but if you get super technical its BSD not Linux (ohhhh,..) but you can get the same window managers and make it look like the regular Linuxes. Read up (as I may be not fully correct because it doesn't really matter to me in the big picture, just use one of them and then move on to another because some tend to die off and you don't want to end up on that dead branch)

You don't seem to be well versed in Linux

Linux is the kernel, that is all it is, and all GNU/Linux distros use the Linux kernel (some may have patches to it)

What most people mean when they say linux is GNU/Linux which is an operating system (with many different flavours)

Red Hat is the enterprise version, mainly for servers, is 'free', But you get absolutely 0 support from red hat, unless you pay the support license, RHEL costs for the whole thing, but it is only generally used in commercial use where purchasing the license is actually worth it.

Fedora is a downstream community lead version of RedHat, has a massive support base 

CentOS is a clone of RH, and is more commonly used for servers, and follows the Linux way of free and open source

(also Debian and descendants come with server versions, and get used a lot, but I don't generally class them as aimed to being a server, more aimed at being both, fedora also comes with desktop versions)

Also take note that some server distros run older kernels, usually 2.x rather than the more current 3.x, this is to keep rebooting down to minimum, security updates are released as patches, this is to keep up longevity with minimal maintenance

Now above is the distributions that are generally accepted as 'server' distros, we then have desktop aimed distros 

The biggest tree would be the Debian branch, this is where all the *buntu distros originate.

Most desktop environments that you will encounter will be Debian derived, this is mainly down to how Debian sets up the user permissions, using sudo and depreciating the need for logging in as root, and in fact, ubuntu completely locks down the root user.

Other big GNU/Linux branches include

The Slackware branch, where SUSE and OpenSUSE originated

The Arch Branch, well.. this is mainly arch, and is what I run, after installation, you get a minimal enviroment with only the basic tools, one must then install what tools they want, keeping their install size small and knowing exactly what is installed.

Then there is Gentoo (formerly enoch) this really is for hardcore users, the entire thing is self compiled, one must compile the kernel (with what ever extras they want in it), install that to a disk and then download, compile and install whatever programs they want.. this can often take a couple of weeks, I heard that KDE for some people was taking over 5 days to compile everything...

For reference, this is a great overview of the GNU/Linux distro map: http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.10/gldt1210.svg

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Linux, 'another familiar song'....

I first investigated Linux, via Red Hat in 1995, and found it 'wanting'. There was no way I could replace the Windows OS for my family to use.

In 1999, I investigated using SUSE. Much better, but again, my family would have rebelled if I tried to push them onto this not-ready-for-prime-time

Along the way, I used most of the versions of Windows. In 2010, I was having another 'round' of daily updates for Windows 7 Ultimate. Each time I had this in the many years of use, it meant I would have to re-install the Windows OS, again and begin the long process of installing the applications I actually use.

I do NOT play the games, and I do NOT overclock. But I do keep the pc on 24-7, down ONLY for reboots.

I decided to try Ubuntu's distibution of Linux. I found it actually worked, without fanfare or abuse. While I was checking out this OS distribution, I was still having to maintain another 2 desktop PCs and 2 laptops with Windows. As the user cruised the internet, they would pick up (in sometimes deliberately install) software that would take over the PC and I would have to fix it for them.

My analysis of their usage was they used the browser almost 100 percent. The remainder was for the music player.

So, over time I switched them to Ubuntu, and NO MORE maintenance work for me! The usual 'maintenance' I have to do is when they mess up the desktop by their wild manipulations of the mouse. The only 'other' work I have to do is when I do an upgrade from one version of Ubuntu to another. Once in a while I will also do an OS update, but for their uses, seldom required.

Even better, I have found free Ubuntu/Linux replacements for the many software tools I had paid good money for under Windows. So, no more windows payments, and no tools and utilities payments, either.

I have only ONE tool I still use, intended for Windows, not Linux. It is the tool I got used to using for making backups. I run it under the Windows Emulator (WINE). It works just fine.

So, If you play the commercial games intended for Windows, you won't appreciate Ubuntu Linux. Other things? better in Ubuntu.

Best regards, AraiBob

You don't seem to be well versed in Linux

Yea, the next time I'm asked to make a DEB package I'll tell the boss I'm not well versed in Linux, maybe he will stop asking me to make them :rolleyes:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Yea, the next time I'm asked to make a DEB package I'll tell the boss I'm not well versed in Linux, maybe he will stop asking me to make them :rolleyes:

Well, to follow the debian way, compile an old version and forget about it, and leave the source code available for real users to compile ;D

I have bodhi running on a ancient laptop and can boot into arch on my main machine. (I have three SSDs each running a different OS)

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Elementary OS. And with Elementary Tweak, I like it a LOT more.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)