AMD Gains Market Share in Q1'16 Discrete GPUs

vitor_cut

I think its a good news, we need a strong AMD to compete, lets see how things will role with Pascal an Polaris in the next quarter, but nVidia advantage is still very big

Q1'16 Desktop Q1'16 Desktop Change Q1'16 Mobile Q1'16 Mobile Change
AMD 22.7% +1.8% 38.7% +7.3%
NVIDIA (assumed) ~77% -1.8% ~61% -7.3%

AMD's gain in the desktop graphics card market was 1.8%, up to 22.7% of the market, while the notebook discrete graphics share jumped an astounding 7.3% to 38.7% of the total market.

source; http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Gains-Market-Share-Q116-Discrete-GPUs

looking good. the 390 and fury are just better than nvidias counterparts at the moment. but im quite afraid of next gen. amd really needs to kick it.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I am sorry for everyone who bought a laptop with AMD graphics. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

looking good. the 390 and fury are just better than nvidias counterparts at the moment. but im quite afraid of next gen. amd really needs to kick it.

Honestly, AMD GPU hardware has been ahead of Nvidia for a while now. 

Their software game is what needs to follow suit. 

Just now, Alexokan said:

Honestly, AMD GPU hardware has been ahead of Nvidia for a while now. 

Their software game is what needs to follow suit. 

crimson is really good. what do you want more?

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, ChrisCross said:

crimson is really good. what do you want more?

I am happy with it too. 

What I'm saying is the upcoming products need to be as good, if not better. 

Nvidia shines with software. If AMD doesn't release a similar suite to handle VR rendering, AMD will cut themselves out of that market entirely (same with multi-display tech). 

7 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

I am happy with it too. 

Nvidia shines with software. If AMD doesn't release a similar suite to handle VR rendering, AMD will cut themselves out of that market entirely (same with multi-display tech). 

You mean LiquidVR ? Software that they presented ages ago ? 

Also... what is this heresy ?! I read here from a "trustworthy" poster that they are dying and have no possibility of coming back :o

Great, we need more balance in the market, so NVidia can't pull their usual crap (like a 100$ premium reference card løl).

That being said, when ZEN launches, AMD should gain even more, as a good ZEN APU on a laptop should be able to do gaming at moderate settings.

When Polaris launches, we should see AMD take an even larger chunk of the discrete laptop graphics market (what you think we will see a 1080 based laptop soon?).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looking good. A more even competition seems like a a good thing.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

23 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

I am happy with it too. 

I thought they already did with Open vr or GPUopen, whatever that is

9 minutes ago, Notional said:

Great, we need more balance in the market, so NVidia can't pull their usual crap (like a 100$ premium reference card løl).

I doubt it is because Nvidia is ahead in terms of marketshare (per-Q), that nvidia is pulling $100 extra for the reference card, but rather due to its low availability. It is just money shifting hands from OEM (who otherwise would taken the extra $100) to Nvidia. I think AMD made the same stunt with early fiji.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Well every bad computer i see in my local store has amd cpu and gpu so i wouldn't be suprised by that...

1 minute ago, Tomsen said:

I doubt it is because Nvidia is ahead in terms of marketshare (per-Q), that nvidia is pulling $100 extra for the reference card, but rather due to its low availability. It is just money shifting hands from OEM (who otherwise would taken the extra $100) to Nvidia. I think AMD made the same stunt with early fiji.

Remember the Fanboy.. sorry Founders Edition is going to be available throughout the lifespan of the 1080 unlike normal reference models. And the price will be premium throughout that period, so while I get your point, I don't really agree with it. It's not a supply/demand thing price gouging the product.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

ya AMD has been gaining since late 2015 no surprise...

31 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

and im sorry for everyone who bought a laptop with intel graphics

5 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

So pretty much every person with an Apple and a laptop above £500. 

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Remember the Fanboy.. sorry Founders Edition is going to be available throughout the lifespan of the 1080 unlike normal reference models. And the price will be premium throughout that period, so while I get your point, I don't really agree with it. It's not a supply/demand thing price gouging the product.

I think the price will adjust itself sometime when there is more availability, sure they will still charge a premium (doubt it will continue with $100).

Now, we don't know how this will turn out, but if it is anything like fiji (as I kinda expect it to be), then it is simply Nvidia taking the extra dollars from OEMs meanwhile availability is low.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

19 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

Intel is fine, for everything except games. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Never knew AMD had over a third of the discrete mobile graphics, I've never seen or heard of anyone with a discrete AMD mobile GPU. 

But this is good news, because after the Pascal launch, AMD is set to make huge gains in graphics. As usual, 1080 was overhyped when in reality it's only around 70% faster than the 980 and the 390X in most cases, and only leading a Fury X by single digit percentages with DX12 w/ Async on. I reckon that because of this, Polaris has the potential to see 90% performance gains over Hawaii in DX12 + Async workloads. Now that the Pascal hype has mostly died down, I think we can expect AMD to lose some market share in 2016 Q2 due to Nvidia getting to market first, and assuming Polaris is available within a few days of launch, AMD will enjoy steady gains for 2016 Q3 and Q4. I know most people expect Pascal to beat Polaris heavily, only being contested by Vega, but I think that's not the case. I think that the top end (490X) Polaris could at the very least exceed GTX 1080 performance.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

If AMD play their cards right, they could dominate the mobile graphics market considering Polaris will be ready to launch soon and Pascal (GP106/7) is still missing. Then again, they'll probably not seize the opportunity.

The flip side is it seems that they've ceded the mid to high end desktop for the time being considering that Polaris 10 probably slots in between 1070 and a theoretical 1060 (Ti).

So in many ways one could say that AMD and Nvidia aren't really competing right now. Will be interesting to see where the market is by the end of 2016. 

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

Never knew AMD had over a third of the discrete mobile graphics, I've never seen or heard of anyone with a discrete AMD mobile GPU. 

But this is good news, because after the Pascal launch, AMD is set to make huge gains in graphics. As usual, 1080 was overhyped when in reality it's only around 70% faster than the 980 and the 390X in most cases, and only leading a Fury X by single digit percentages with DX12 w/ Async on. I reckon that because of this, Polaris has the potential to see 90% performance gains over Hawaii in DX12 + Async workloads. Now that the Pascal hype has mostly died down, I think we can expect AMD to lose some market share in 2016 Q2 due to Nvidia getting to market first, and assuming Polaris is available within a few days of launch, AMD will enjoy steady gains for 2016 Q3 and Q4. I know most people expect Pascal to beat Polaris heavily, only being contested by Vega, but I think that's not the case. I think that the top end (490X) Polaris could at the very least exceed GTX 1080 performance.

they have Mobile Radeons in pretty much ALL the higher end MACs. Their APUs laptops also sell rather well.

2 hours ago, ZetZet said:

2 hours ago, deviant88 said:

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i would be even more sorry for those who bought any product with the label "Intel HD" written on it.

I am sorry for anyone who bought a laptop for gaming, period

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.