1080 SLI = The Birth of True 5k Gaming?

I've been a voyeur lurking over the forums for a while, but decided to break down and finally make an account just so I could pose this inquiry relating a recent benchmark.

Guru3d recently posted some impressive 5K results. With a single 1080, they were able to get Shadow of Mordor to reach 42 FPS average without any sort of overclock. While it is a slightly less taxing game compared to games like The Witcher and Far Cry Primal, do you think it could be possible to finally see 5k 60 fps gaming becoming a reality in this generation?

untitled-12.png

It seems like we could potentially see a sort of resolution singularity very soon, where pixel density is no longer an issue. This could eliminate the need for Anti Aliasing, giving us even further fps gains comparatively. I'd be interested in your opinions on the issue.

Edited by dgafrica420lol
Added picture of benchmark

Shadow of Mordor is a relatively easy game to run, so no 5k 60 fps is not a thing yet for modern games.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

a big issue if your vram. sli (Currently) doesnt assist with that.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Damn, pretty impressive.

I hope that we get some 1080 SLI benchmarks soon...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

6 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

a big issue if your vram. sli (Currently) doesnt assist with that.

It might be, however according to this Tweaktown article, few games will actually need the full 8gb of vram provided by the 1080 to run. According to that benchmark, even Battlefield 4 used less than 8gb vram running at a ludicrous 8K.

1 minute ago, dgafrica420lol said:

It might be, however according to this Tweaktown article, few games actually need the full 8gb of vram required to run. Even Battlefield 4 used less than 8gb vram running at a ludicrous 8K.

BF runs exceptionally well though.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

why

there are barely any 5k monitors

4k is the standard now

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i saw a few benchmarks where the 1080 didn't give 60 frames at 4k.

Just now, Enderman said:

why

4k is the standard now

That was the case however the 1080 is the first GPU to utilize displayport 1.4. Even the dell 5K is essentially two single-panel monitors stuck together due to 1.3 not having the bandwidth needed.

Welcome to the forum :) 

Interesting info to say the least.

Sorry to do this to you but OP could you please redo your post to match the requirements for posting in the news sub forum.

Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No. SLi is a niche technology that has been around for years and never received mainstream support. 1080p is still the vastly dominant resolution and developers will almost always cater to the majority. 5k will work in some titles with some configurations, but we are miles away from real support.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

17 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Shadow of Mordor is a relatively easy game to run, so no 5k 60 fps is not a thing yet for modern games.

Damnit I wanted an 8K iMac that could play Mafia 3 and Firewatch and Battlefield 1 at 8K with Ultra Settings and 8xMSAA and vsync or g-sync or freesync. /s

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

21 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Damn, pretty impressive.

I hope that we get some 1080 SLI benchmarks soon...

Around 4:00 

"Well sing with me a hymn 
For the light that has dimmed 
For the heart that no longer beats 
And even until death when nothing else is left and the pain has finally ceased 
And the sun will never shine on this cold dead heart of mine" 

You can't kill something that doesn't care if it lives.

My PC: 

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz, CPU Cooler:be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-3000, Storage:Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,
Video Card: EVGA ACX SSC 970 (1080 soon), Case:Fractal Design Define R5, Power Supply:EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold, Operating System:Windows 10 Home, Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse:Logitech G502

7 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

<snip>

Go enjoy a fish sandwich . . . . . .

Good info but he is a bit odd. :|

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, dgafrica420lol said:

I dunno man, the 1080 can't even max out 4K at 60 fps on some games. 5K is a whopping 77% more pixels than 4K.

That's like, 15 million pixels.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

so basically

12 hours ago, IntoDarkness said:

Around 4:00 

so basically gtx 1080 is a scam just like i expected from nvidia, you barely get 10-15% performance, no such thing as 1x1080 faster than 2x980 in SLi

42 fps... not bad... i will wait when 5k monitors price will be less than 1k ( good one) 

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

why

4k is the standard now

there's that iMac... imagine that with 1080 SLI xDxDxD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 hours ago, deviant88 said:

so basically

so basically gtx 1080 is a scam just like i expected from nvidia, you barely get 10-15% performance, no such thing as 1x1080 faster than 2x980 in SLi

Thats not what most other people found, i heard these guys just like to cherry pick. Linus found the 1080 being faster than 980´s in sli in some older games but won in all games that used directx 12.

I mean shadow of mordor is probably one of the best optimized PC games to the point where my GTX 560Ti plays it on high settings very smoothly. No surprise 1080 can do 5k.

This is interesting but i dont see how this belong in the news section 

On 5/18/2016 at 5:36 AM, LabRat said:

i saw a few benchmarks where the 1080 didn't give 60 frames at 4k.

Yeah, that's why I'll be sticking with my 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (at 1510 MHz) and 1440p XB271HU for now. I'll make some big (expensive) changes once a single card can do 60+ FPS at 4K without breaking a sweat. Some people might prefer ~60 FPS at 4K with medium settings but I'd personally prefer higher settings and FPS at 1440p. For now anyway. :)

I´m a bit curious about the test from Tek syndicate, a lot of issues with the 1080 throttling below base clock in 20 degree ambient temperature (toms hardware), and setting the fan at 50+ % should fix that, and boost the card a bit..

did he do that?

still switching my 2x970 for 2x1080 unless the 1070 is close.. not quite there at yet, at 4k gaming..