Even more NX stuff, Nintendo VP says NX is not a Wii U or DS replacement but is "something very new"

Master Disaster

Coming from an japanese interview carried out with Tatsumi Kimishima.

In the interview he said

It’s something very new.  The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I’d like to play for the first time myself.

However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS.  It’s a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact that the Wii U, but I don’t feel it’s a pure replacement for the Wii U.

He also alluded that it wouldn't replace the DS by referencing the fact Pokemon should continue to drive DS sales after the NX releases

When the NX is released, the Wii U business will slow.  But the 3DS has Pokemon coming this autumn, and that’s such a big hit that I can’t imagine the NX will have a negative impact on the 3DS.

Finally he spoke about the price of NX

It’s true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles.  Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss.  The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas.  I don’t believe it’s as simple as “because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive.”

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-asahi-shimbun-interview-with-tatsumi-kimishima-movies-mobile-nx/

Jesus Christ, what exactly is this thing going to be then? A lot of people are now betting on some kind of smartphone or tablet like device.

Remember this is all from the source so while not specific it can be considered to be not rumour.

Thoughts?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Considering that Nintendo has been kinda reluctant to innovate in any meaningful way I'm not sure what to expect. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

3DS* not DS.

They are different products, as there wont be any more Pokémon games on the Nintendo DS (but will be on 3DS)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wii U sales will slow down, you say?

They can't really slow down anymore without it dying tbh! xD

the Wii U will die anyway, they're never going to release anything good on it. Zelda won't change a thing because they'll most likely make a NX+Zelda bundle so people will buy that instead

Except if the NX has terrible controls, hopefully not

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

3DS* not DS.

They are different products, as there wont be any more Pokémon games on the Nintendo DS (but will be on 3DS)

And I'm sure anybody reading this can make that distinction alone!

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

And I'm sure anybody reading this can make that distinction alone!

Oh

I was just saying maybe you should like.. correct your article and title, since the DS has already been replaced. But oh well, it doesn't really bother me that the title and you text is not correct.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Watch it be a standalone version of the wii u controller...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Oh

I was just saying maybe you should like.. correct your article and title, since the DS has already been replaced. But oh well, it doesn't really bother me that the title and you text is not correct.

You sure, I mean your making a big fuss over something which doesn't bother you?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You sure, I mean your making a big fuss over something which doesn't bother you?

yes.

I'll wait and see. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If I had to bet, there would be something like the the WiiMote in combination with some other control method.

Maybe something to do with VR or AR? <- I wouldn't expect it knowing Nintendo and the hardware they have used, but saying that the thing will be more expensive than previous Nintendo gaming consoles... You never know, they surprised everyone with the WiiMote

All I can hope for is either support for the standard gamepad style controller or a relevant replacement for it, because some games just need the standard controller.

Also if they do anything ineresting with the control method (HTC Vive position tracking in a room style of controller) I hope they will have enough devs pushing the tech right from the start because otherwise we'll be stuck with the standard Nintendo demos and minigames like at the launch of the Wii.

I guess I'll quote @ivan134... "I'll wait and see."

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

Got the wii u and more than enough good games for it to justify. at this point if they abandon it after zelda i'm fine. will sell it if nx is backwards compatible otherwise it will be the first console i don't sell off for some reason.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS.  It’s a new way of playing games,

- Nintendo every time they launch a console the past 20 years....

The NX is going to be Nintendo's make it or break it moment. Kimishima is right that they cannot sell it at a lose. But at the same time many people aren't going to shell out $$$ for another gimmick like a tablet controller or primarily motion controls. Nintendo should just back away from the family friendly only games and move to more hardcore gaming. They can't expect to make profit off just first party remakes, Mario Party, and Pokemon.

I really want to know who the decision makers at the company work because they seriously can't be this bad at there job. I think if there was a poll Nintendo would rank bottom-of-the-barrel last between the big 3.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

good! going to buy an NX now!

I must have Pokken

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm calling it: It's a VR or AR (or both) headset. Or Nintendo will otherwise announce a VR/AR product within 2016.

-------

Current Rig

-------

nintendo is dead as a console company, they refuse to compete with sony/xbox/pc, what is left ? there is really no surprises.

their sudden interest in android/ios is not random, the NX will be a crossplatform with smartphones, they will try to link the NX to the phone aps to the controller, and start yelling hey new way of playing.

it's BS the NX will be a massive failure with gamers, they might get a new market, they will be basicaly trading a loyal fanbase, to new kiddies playing on phones as the new target, in few years ppl will forget that nintendo used to have a console, they will be just one of the billion cheap ass apps, with costumer base that doesnt really care about them, and just like that the reputation they spent 30 years to build will fade away, and so will the 10bil cash they are sitting on.

PLEASE let it be a viable, competetive console. Only diehard zelda and mario fans have baught the wiiU. I know many people who wouldve gotten the WiiU if it had the traditional ubi open world games, shooters, etc. that other consoles support. They ended up going with a ps4 or xbone over the wiiU because of the horrible pad controller or the lack of 3rd party games.

- snip-

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Actually, I got mine for Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. xD I couldn't care one bit about the Mario games.  Zelda is fun, though.

But the point is that the only thing going for the wiiU is exclusive titles. And for little johnny who can only get one console for christmas, and little johnny want to play CoD with little bill, so little johnny will ask his mom for a ps4. It needs to become hardware and title competetive if it stands a chance.

- snip-

What's up with everyone saying Nintendo isn't innovative? They are by far the most innovative console company. The Wii motion controls, DS's dual screens and touch screen, the Wii U game pad and the balance board were all really innovative features. Not to mention all the huge innovations they made before (basically single handily saving the entire game industry).

When people say that the Wii U isnt competeing with the PS4 /Xbox thats true. But it isnt supposed to be competing with them. It is a different way to play different games that arent offered anywhere else. Xbox and PS4 are super similar where as nintendo consoles are different. Its like saying Tablets are competing with smartphones...... Different strokes for different folks

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

inb4 virtual boy 2.0 +  wii motion controllers 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

4 hours ago, ONOTech said:

This. I think they're going VR, too, and I'm glad it's Nintendo if they do.

Nintendo doesn't innovate too often, but when they do, they usually deliver.

They're not. Last year Nintendo of America's president came out and said without caveats "VR isn't fun". That was right after E3 last year, so there's no way they've developed hardware in less than a year that supports VR. They may have built in interfaces that allow them to add VR support at a future date, but that's almost certainly not going to be what this is.

Those that say Nintendo can't live off their first party alone didn't pay attention to the games that have sold well on the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. The top 30 is littered with Nintendo developed properties, the problem with the Wii U was more than just a lack of third party support. It was that it was priced like a replacement for the PS3/Xbox 360/PS4/Xbox One, had the performance of an Xbox 360, and less utility. The Wii was priced like a companion to the Xbox 360/PS3 (Xbox 360 was $150 more at launch, the PS3 was $250 more).

Nintendo has to decide if they want to compete directly with Xbox and Playstation, or work in tandem with them, by either dropping their console team or by creating a box that is affordable enough that it can live alongside those boxes ($150-$200). If Nintendo priced their console like an Nvidia Shield console, and supported all of the major streaming services they could replace the Roku/Apple TV/Fire TV as the main streaming box.

Or Nintendo just bites the bullet, partners with Sony, and the new Playstation Neo is actually the Playstation NintEndO. Just kidding.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What's up with everyone saying Nintendo isn't innovative? They are by far the most innovative console company. The Wii motion controls, DS's dual screens and touch screen, the Wii U game pad and the balance board were all really innovative features. Not to mention all the huge innovations they made before (basically single handily saving the entire game industry).

<s>

Innovation = realistic graphics and cinematic feel

</s>

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>