Nvidia stock reaches all-time high

So this morning Nvidia's stock prices have reached the highest they have ever been in the history of the company.

bandicam 2016-05-16 19-54-54-140.png

Currently sitting at $42, the previous high was October 2007, at about $39.5

This massive 4 point increase over the weekend was likely due to the announcement of the GTX1000 series graphics cards and companies realizing the potential profits due to the near constant increase over the past four years.

In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified NVIDIA as such a stock due to the following factors:

NVDA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $529.1 million.

NVDA has traded 815,238 shares today.

NVDA is trading at a new lifetime high.

bandicam 2016-05-16 19-55-06-938.png

Additionally on May-13-16 the stock was “Upgraded” by ROTH Capital from Neutral to Buy and on May-13-16 the stock was “Reiterated” by Wedbush as Outperform at $38 to $42. Furthermore on May-13-16 the stock was “Reiterated” by RBC Capital Mkts as Sector Perform at $36 to $40.

What does this mean for the future of GPUs?

Personally I think this is good because with increased profits, nvidia can focus more resources on technologies like drive PX, autopilot, machine vision, neural networks, and other innovative technologies.

I don't see this making a big effect on the GPU market, at least not in the near future.

Discuss below.

money-pppp.png

PS-I was predicting weeks ago that nvidia was going to reach all-time-high numbers due to the GTX1000 release/announcement

I was right

I should learn to invest :P

Sources:

http://www.thepointreview.com/stock-that-got-upgrade-nvidia-corporation-nasdaqnvda/

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NVDA#symbol=NVDA;range=1d

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13572350/1/new-lifetime-high-today-nvidia-nvda.html

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Makes sense really...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What's machine vision? 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

What's machine vision? 

Cameras / sonar / radar / other sensors on a machine

all sensors combined can create a virtual image that a computer can understand and navigate

sort of like how your eyes create an image in your brain so you can walk around, but for machines (eg. cars)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Still not a tech company I'll ever have in my portfolio. Far too volatile in the long run. Good for the day traders, that's about it.

EA, ATVI and MSFT for their dividend. Those are good tech companies to have.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

intresting... i really should learn to invest, but at this point everyone that have nvidia stock, won't sell it because they know it will increase even more when the GPU is release to the market.

1 minute ago, agentagent47 said:

intresting... i really should learn to invest, but at this point everyone that have nvidia stock, won't sell it because they know it will increase even more when the GPU is release to the market.

there are many companies, you can invest in more than just one, you dont even have to invest in nvidia at all :)

the trick to is know when their stock will increase before it actually does

takes time to research but can make a lot of money if youre smart

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Personally I think this is good because with increased profits, nvidia can focus more resources on technologies like drive PX, autopilot, machine vision, neural networks, and other innovative technologies.

Maybe they could invest some money into the QA team for their drivers and stop wasting money on GameWorks which nobody asked for.

It seems like everything Nvidia touches that isn't hardware is just... just awful.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

there are many companies, you can invest in more than just one, you dont even have to invest in nvidia at all :)

IF i'm smart, i'm not :P

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I should learn to invest :P

in being a gpu psychic?

Base

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just wait 6-12 months, based on that historical graph in op, they'll experience a market correction back down to actual value after the launch. then put your money in, and wait for the next announcement.

6 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Maybe they could invest some money into the QA team for their drivers and stop wasting money on GameWorks which nobody asked for.

It seems like everything Nvidia touches that isn't hardware is just... just awful.

aside from that one week a few months ago where they released drivers that crashed systems with multiple monitors, their drivers have been working great

and gameworks is what got AMD started with GPU open, so competition is good

better graphics and physics is good

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Blake said:

Base

Just wait 6-12 months, based on that historical graph in op, they'll experience a market correction back down to actual value after the launch. then put your money in, and wait for the next announcement.

in 6-12 months the 1080ti will probably be announced (if they make one)

idk how that will change things, but i highly doubt it will be a flop if it does exist

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

aside from that one week a few months ago where they released drivers that crashed systems with multiple monitors, their drivers have been working great

and gameworks is what got AMD started with GPU open, so competition is good

better graphics and physics is good

I guess. I'm just satisfied with developers you know, handling the development of their graphics and game engine stuff.

Doesn't really seem like something Nvidia or anyone else really needs to be sticking their fingers in so they can advertise their exclusive features for particular games.

Make cool shit, like Mantle, Freesync, Gsync, etc.

I don't think GameWorks is really pushing any boundaries. 

Plenty of games look fucking amazing and do fine without any of these console-like exclusive graphics options.

4 minutes ago, Hunched said:

I guess. I'm just satisfied with developers you know, handling the development of their graphics and game engine stuff.

Doesn't really seem like something Nvidia or anyone else really needs to be sticking their fingers in so they can advertise their exclusive features for particular games.

Make cool shit, like Mantle, Freesync, Gsync, etc.

I don't think GameWorks is really pushing any boundaries. 

Plenty of games look fucking amazing and do fine without any of these console-like exclusive graphics options.

true

problem is developers a lot of the time are too lazy to implement tons of fancy physics and graphical effects

especially small indie developers

getting this stuff for free is beneficial

EXCEPT

when the developer puts it into the game without an option to disable

because some people dont have the most powerful PCs, or some people prefer higher fps than better graphics, and not being able to disable it is a problem

games that have gameworks as a disable-able option are fine IMO

its not nvidia's fault if a developer forces it to be on all the time in the game :/

Spoiler

Ah, stock trading... the most boring thing on the planet :P

Srsly though, I'm not surprised that this is the case.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Ah, stock trading... the most boring thing on the planet :P

Srsly though, I'm not surprised that this is the case.

its like gambling really xD

EDIT- i just realized gaming is just gambling without the "bl"

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, eLucid said:

Still not a tech company I'll ever have in my portfolio. Far too volatile in the long run. Good for the day traders, that's about it.

EA, ATVI and MSFT for their dividend. Those are good tech companies to have.

Intel and IBM are more solid buys for dividends imho.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

16 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel and IBM are more solid buys for dividends imho.

I never said they weren't. Besides, I'm pretty happy with my roi so there's no need to add more tech companies to an already diversified portfolio.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

42 minutes ago, Enderman said:

true

problem is developers a lot of the time are too lazy to implement tons of fancy physics and graphical effects

especially small indie developers

getting this stuff for free is beneficial

EXCEPT

when the developer puts it into the game without an option to disable

because some people dont have the most powerful PCs, or some people prefer higher fps than better graphics, and not being able to disable it is a problem

games that have gameworks as a disable-able option are fine IMO

its not nvidia's fault if a developer forces it to be on all the time in the game :/

The reason they get a lot of flack is Nvidia claims they send engineers to go help make some of the games that have been released with problems. It's natural to conclude foul play when that happens. My other problem is while AMD needs to improve the tessellation performance, Nvidia ties some of the dumbest things ever to tessellation like hair and light.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

The reason they get a lot of flack is Nvidia claims they send engineers to go help make some of the games that have been released with problems. It's natural to conclude foul play when that happens. My other problem is while AMD needs to improve the tessellation performance, Nvidia ties some of the dumbest things ever to tessellation like hair and light.

if it can be disabled its not a problem

if its forced then yes that sucks

there are games that have been released with options to disable it so clearly nvidia isnt forcing developers to make it always-on

its the developers that choose what options go in the settings menu

Spoiler

I'll also add that having these chips on unmanned vehicles also boosted the sales.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Actually, if you look carefully, you will notice that this is the first time in many years, that they bring good financial report and the company's stock goes up with the good news, Usually it goes down, despite the good news.

Only practical of a company like this. One main competitor, and a steady stream of "game changing" products.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi