mAh explained

Go to solution Solved by tomaatvk,
3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

I understand it at that level, i'm trying to really be able to understand, not in terms of a metaphor but how it actually works.  I know that amps are not dependant on volts just as volts are not dependant on amps, but if mah is the measure of amps a battery can supply in 1 hour, why does changing the voltage not change how quickly the battery depletes?

I'm not 100% sure I'm correct but I think it works in the following way:

If you discharge a battery by using it the electrons in the negative part of the battery flow though the circuit to the positive part of the battery. If you charge it they are forced back.

The current flowing through something (expressed in A/ampere) is just the ammount of electrons moving through something/second (6,241 506·1018 electrons/second=1A).

Lets say that in a fully charged battery there are 6,241 506·1018 electrons on the negative side that can move to the positive side in the form of current.

If you connect that battery to a circuit that draws 1A, all the 6,241 506·1018 electrons will be used after 1 second so you have 1As (ampere second).

If you connect that battery to a circuit that draws 0,1A, all the 6,241 506·1018 electrons will last 10 seconds. You will supply 0,1A for 10seconds so 0,1*10=1As (the same as above).

The same works with mAh although mAh indicates how many milliampere can be supplied for how many hours.

If you have a 3000mAh battery you can supply 3000mA for 1 hour (3000*1=3000mAh) or 1000mAh for 3 hours (1000*3=3000mAh) because that is how many electrons it stores and the lower the current is the longer it takes for them to all flow to the positive part of the battery.

(I know that electrons aren't really stored in the batteries but they are being freed through chemical reactions, however, I chose not to make it that complicated and in this explanation it has the same effect.)

Can somebody explain why voltage doesn't affect mAh?  If i have a phone, rated at whatever mAh and a battery back rated at let's say 10000 mAh, why does the amount of recharge cycles not depend on voltage at all?  why can this battery bank supply 10000 milliamps of current at 1 volt and 10000 milliamps of current at 5v without it changing how long it lasts?  (or maybe i have that wrong and somebody can explain what actually happens)

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

mAh is a measure of how much energy a battery can store iirc.

Imagine this: You have a swimming pool.

The amount of liquid it can store is mAh, and the pump that fills that pool is your current.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Just now, Djole123 said:

mAh is a measure of how much energy a battery can store iirc.

Imagine this: You have a swimming pool.

The amount of liquid it can store is mAh, and the pump that fills that pool is your current.

I understand it at that level, i'm trying to really be able to understand, not in terms of a metaphor but how it actually works.  I know that amps are not dependant on volts just as volts are not dependant on amps, but if mah is the measure of amps a battery can supply in 1 hour, why does changing the voltage not change how quickly the battery depletes?

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Great question. Will have to think about it.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Djole123 said:

Great question. Will have to think about it.

thanks

12 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

thanks

Ok. Let's go to that pool analogy from above.

You need to empty the swimming pool, and you have one tube which can supply, let's say, 1000mAh. You can have as many taps coming from that tube as you can (taps=amount of volts), but the tube will always operate at the same 1000mAh rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

If you discharge a battery by using it the electrons in the negative part of the battery flow though the circuit to the positive part of the battery. If you charge it they are forced back.

The current flowing through something (expressed in A/ampere) is just the ammount of electrons moving through something/second (6,241 506·1018 electrons/second=1A).

Lets say that in a fully charged battery there are 6,241 506·1018 electrons on the negative side that can move to the positive side in the form of current.

If you connect that battery to a circuit that draws 1A, all the 6,241 506·1018 electrons will be used after 1 second so you have 1As (ampere second).

If you connect that battery to a circuit that draws 0,1A, all the 6,241 506·1018 electrons will last 10 seconds. You will supply 0,1A for 10seconds so 0,1*10=1As (the same as above).

The same works with mAh although mAh indicates how many milliampere can be supplied for how many hours.

If you have a 3000mAh battery you can supply 3000mA for 1 hour (3000*1=3000mAh) or 1000mAh for 3 hours (1000*3=3000mAh) because that is how many electrons it stores and the lower the current is the longer it takes for them to all flow to the positive part of the battery.

(I know that electrons aren't really stored in the batteries but they are being freed through chemical reactions, however, I chose not to make it that complicated and in this explanation it has the same effect.)

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Ok. Let's go to that pool analogy from above.

You need to empty the swimming pool, and you have one tube which can supply, let's say, 1000mAh. You can have as many taps coming from that tube as you can (taps=amount of volts), but the tube will always operate at the same 1000mAh rate.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct, and I understand it more thanks

2 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

This was very helpful, now I can visualize it, thanks

I understand it quite well, but I find it hard to explain:

According to Ohm's law Current = Voltage / Resistance. Current is the amount of electric flow, voltage is the electric pressure that pushes current through a circuit, and resistance is a force that resists the flow of the current. The rate of discharge of a battery depends on the amount of the current it delivers to a circuit. Taking a glance at Ohm's law reveals that current is inversely proportional to resistance, so the higher the resistance, the lower the current will be, if voltage is constant. 

To make i simple. imagine the same pool mentioned by Djole123, but this time it is full, and you want to take a shower with the water in the pool. To achieve that you apply pressure to the water with a pump so it travels through a pipe and reaches your shower head. The stronger the pressure the pump applies (voltage) the more water (current) will come out of the tube (resistance), but if the tube is really thin (higher resistance), even with tons of pressure (voltage) only a small amount of water (current) will come out of the shower. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

voltage*current=energy

current = how much is flowing (speed) 

voltage = how big is the pressure (pool analogy) 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.