how to tell if I burned out 5820k tempwise

this is the fist time this has happened to me.

Motherboard post codes arent working. bouncing between 5-6 different codes.

A kraken x61 died on me while it was working, and im not sure if the cpu burned itself out.

When i took the waterblock off, the copper plate was hot enouh to burn me, and so was the cpu.

How do i tell if that is the problem, or soemthing with my motherboard?

I did take out the motherboard battery, switch between my 2 bioses, clearmed cmos, and such.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

A kraken x61 died on me while it was working, and im not sure if the cpu burned itself out.

When i took the waterblock off, the copper plate was hot enouh to burn me, and so was the cpu.

I did take out the motherboard battery, switch between my 2 bioses, clearmed cmos, and such.

Thanks

Take a video of the codes and search each one on Google. Might be able to shed some light on the errors you're facing. 

Odd though the CPU overheating should have caused the system to power down to save itself. 

7 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Thanks

First understand that it doesn't take much to burn human skin - we're very sensitive to heat as a species. That being said, do you have another cooler to mount to the CPU? When the cooler died, was the CPU at 100% load?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As I understand, unless you disabled the temperature safety features in BIOS/UEFI, Intel CPUs will simply turn off before they start roasting to a point of failure. If you do this regularly, expect your chip to fail. However, if this is the first time it's happened... I'm sure it's still functional.

see above

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, ShadyHost said:

Take a video of the codes and search each one on Google. Might be able to shed some light on the errors you're facing. 

Odd though the CPU overheating should have caused the system to power down to save itself. 

The codes are all unlrelated, such as late gpu start, or early pch start or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

First understand that it doesn't take much to burn human skin - we're very sensitive to heat as a species. That being said, do you have another cooler to mount to the CPU? When the cooler died, was the CPU at 100% load?

running unigine valley at ultra hd settings. I switched out the cooler, still no boot

1 hour ago, DEcobra11 said:

~70 ºC needed to burn skin at short contact, so... that just for the IHS imagine the CPU die.

Did it shutdown itself or you had to turn the PC off?

Shut down itself

37 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

see above

See above :)

24 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

The codes are all unlrelated, such as late gpu start, or early pch start or whatever. 

running unigine valley at ultra hd settings. I switched out the cooler, still no boot

Shut down itself

See above :)

hmm, have you tried remounting the cpu (and mem-ok if applicable)?

Otherwise uhh it might be time to get a 6800k...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

46 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Unless it as at over 1500C, its fine.

What are you talking about?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Silicon melting point, never seen anything die from heat if it wasnt the motherboard.

It's not really that simple - otherwise, Intel wouldn't have the temperature limits that they have.

10 hours ago, JohnT said:

Sorry for your loss. Please consider retail therapy: http://amzn.com/B00MMLXIKY

rma?

9 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Tried remounting, and mem okd

9 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

:/

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's not really that simple - otherwise, Intel wouldn't have the temperature limits that they have.

:)

9 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Silicon melting point, never seen anything die from heat if it wasnt the motherboard.

:( 

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

42 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

rma?

Well if you had it overclocked at all over 3.6 GHz then you voided your warranty. But Intel might still take pity on you so it might be worth it. Also, it was your cooler that failed... not an Intel component at all.

Give them a call. Can't hurt.

Have you ruled out the possibility that it's your motherboard or power supply?

13 hours ago, ShadyHost said:

13 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

13 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

~70 ºC needed to burn skin at short contact, so... that just for the IHS imagine the CPU die.

Did it shutdown itself or you had to turn the PC off?

13 hours ago, JohnT said:

As I understand, unless you disabled the temperature safety features in BIOS/UEFI, Intel CPUs will simply turn off before they start roasting to a point of failure. If you do this regularly, expect your chip to fail. However, if this is the first time it's happened... I'm sure it's still functional.

12 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

see above

11 hours ago, JohnT said:

Sorry for your loss. Please consider retail therapy: http://amzn.com/B00MMLXIKY

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

11 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What are you talking about?

10 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

1 hour ago, Fluffinator said:

:( 

58 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Well if you had it overclocked at all over 3.6 GHz then you voided your warranty. But Intel might still take pity on you so it might be worth it. Also, it was your cooler that failed... not an Intel component at all.

hi

sorry for quoting half the world.

it was the ram

when it first booted, 128 gb of ram was regognised, and it booted fine.

I guess the mobo just locked up after it said " oh, wait thats not right"

i put in 2 sticks of 16, and it boots fine now

im reflashing ( updating) the boios right now

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

hi

sorry for quoting half the world.

it was the ram

lol I was scrolling down like "really?"

Well that's good. However mentioning you were running 128GB of ram would have helped a while ago :/

2 minutes ago, ShadyHost said:

lol I was scrolling down like "really?"

Well that's good. However mentioning you were running 128GB of ram would have helped a while ago :/

lol

sorry

i thought because it booted the first time with it, it wasnt the reason it was locking up.

Anyways, thank you :)

11 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Fun experiment: go ahead and put your CPU in an oven set to 375F--a more or less suitable temp for cooking fish, well below 1500C. Leave it in there for an hour. When you take it out, let it cool to room temp, then put it right back into your PC. Does it POST? If not, do you think the motherboard is really what died?

9 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

it was the ram

Screwing up the memory controller is disappointingly easy to do. Glad it wasn't anything worse! :)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Fun experiment: go ahead and put your CPU in an oven set to 375F--a more or less suitable temp for cooking fish, well below 1500C. Leave it in there for an hour. When you take it out, let it cool to room temp, then put it right back into your PC. Does it POST? If not, do you think the motherboard is really what died?

Screwing up the memory controller is disappointingly easy to do. Glad it wasn't anything worse! :)

lol

Yeah. mem controller is finiky :)

Good stuff. Glad you don't need retail therapy anymore :P

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Voided warranty? It's unlocked chip, so it's meant to be overclocked. Also it should have some kind of save switch to shut down CPU before it does any harm to it.

And can they acctually check if your overclocked it?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Voided warranty? It's unlocked chip, so it's meant to be overclocked.

The warranty does not cover overclocking. Unlocked or not doesn't change the warranty that Intel has chosen for the product. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The warranty does not cover overclocking. Unlocked or not doesn't change the warranty that Intel has chosen for the product. 

Well just don't say that your OCed it.

Also they can't know if you did OC or not, since that is all saved on mobo profile only.

So if you return just CPU to them without any physical damage, they won't be able to know what you did with cpu.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Well just don't say that your OCed it.

Also they can't know if you did OC or not, since that is all saved on mobo profile only.

So if you return just CPU to them without any physical damage, they won't be able to know what you did with cpu.

But you're stating that it's meant to be overclocked, and therefore the warranty is not voided. The warranty is technically voided.