About reference and non-reference card.

JacobKS

What's the difference between reference card and non-reference? and which one is much expensive, coz I'm planning to buy the 1080 reference which cost $599. I want to know if Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc. will have a 1080 which one is gonna be more expensive, a reference card from nvidia or a non-reference card from Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc.?

reference cards have different coolers. if you dont have good airflow in your case they are pretty good. but non reference cards have normally lower temperatures and when you go higher end they got better power design. 

we dont know about the prices yet. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

reference cards have different coolers. if you dont have good airflow in your case they are pretty good. but non reference cards have normally lower temperatures and when you go higher end they got better power design. 

we dont know about the prices yet. 

what about iin previous gen, which one is expensive a reference or non-reference?

As well as cooler design, non-reference cards can use higher quality components. This can be good for both expanding lifespan or increasing over clocking potential.

1 minute ago, JacobKS said:

what about iin previous gen, which one is expensive a reference or non-reference?

there are cheaper non-referance and more expensive ones.

personally i would go with a cheap non-referance one. they dont overclock well but you save some cash. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Like what others are saying. Non-reference GPUs "CAN" contain higher quality components, additional features (LEDs, more outputs, etc.) and more. In terms of cooling they generally have the same capacity but factors like your case, airflow, other components can affect temperatures.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

8 hours ago, JacobKS said:

What's the difference between reference card and non-reference? and which one is much expensive, coz I'm planning to buy the 1080 reference which cost $599. I want to know if Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc. will have a 1080 which one is gonna be more expensive, a reference card from nvidia or a non-reference card from Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc.?

The reference card is actually the "founders edition", which costs $100 more. You will have to wait like a month to get an aftermarket card for that price since the only cards available on launch day are most likely going to be the founders edition/ reference.