Should i just upgrade right to 1070

I have a GTX970 what path should i take. A used 980ti/Titan X or 1070 

Do you price the price of 980ti or titan X price will drop lower then $380 that the 1070 will be?

1 minute ago, Lorx7 said:

Do you price the price of 980ti or titan X price will drop lower then $380 that the 1070 will be?

It will take years before the 980 Ti and Titan X are under that price. Get the 1070. 

It's stupid that the price won't go down because if the 1070 performs as they say, 1070 > 980Ti/Titan X, for $399 then the 980Ti should go for like $330-$350 and the Titan X should go for like $400. But they probably won't for some oddball reason.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

1 minute ago, Festive said:

It's stupid that the price won't go down because if the 1070 performs as they say, 1070 > 980Ti/Titan X, for $399 then the 980Ti should go for like $330-$350 and the Titan X should go for like $400. But they probably won't for some oddball reason.

I guess 980 Ti's/Titans will just stop selling. 

I am sure the price will drop a lot lower than they currently are and before making any decisions I would wait to see the benchmarks and maybe see what AMD have coming out on the GPU side.

14 minutes ago, Lorx7 said:

Titan X will not drop below $380. 980Ti maybe if the 1070 lives up to the claim that it can beat the Titan X. But the Titan X is still a premium card and will stay at that point for a while. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

20 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It will take years before the 980 Ti and Titan X are under that price. Get the 1070. 

Its going for ~$400 right now on eBay. Not sure how long it will take before they drop down to below the $380 mark but right now, its pretty close.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

1 minute ago, VeeTeePee said:

Its going for ~$400 right now on eBay. Not sure how long it will take before they drop down to below the $380 mark but right now, its pretty close.

Is that new or used?

8 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Is that new or used?

Used. But I don't think buying used cards are a bad thing. They should still work perfectly fine. Just make sure you read the item descriptions and make sure the card is working/hasn't been overclocked.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

19 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Titan X will not drop below $380. 980Ti maybe if the 1070 lives up to the claim that it can beat the Titan X. But the Titan X is still a premium card and will stay at that point for a while. 

Look at the 780ti. It hasn't really dropped to fit with modern cards' performance.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

1 minute ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Look at the 780ti. It hasn't really dropped to fit with modern cards' performance.

EVGA who is one of the main Nvidia AIB's had it for $200 usd for the Kingpin model which is the highest end 780ti, so I beg to differ

It's not like one can buy a 1070 at the moment.  What will happen is Nvidia will lower the price of the 970.  It won't go down to something like $149.99  The lowest it'll probably go is like $250 - $270.  Then the 1070 will probably retain for $370.  Is that $100 worth it?  Yes!  However there are broke gamers who still game on a 750ti or R9 270 and want something more powerful but flirting with $400 is just too much.  To them, the 970 would be a dramatic upgrade.

I myself purchased a 970 about 2 months ago knowing Pascal was coming.  It's not a dumb move because I can always trickle down the 970 to my home theater PC.  It currently has a 650ti.

On 5/9/2016 at 9:08 AM, afyeung said:

EVGA who is one of the main Nvidia AIB's had it for $200 usd for the Kingpin model which is the highest end 780ti, so I beg to differ

What, seriously? Whe last I checked (admittedly a while ago, but still in the maxwell days) it was pretty high. Fine, look at the price history then! 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

What, seriously? Whe last I checked (admittedly a while ago, but still in the maxwell days) it was pretty high. Fine, look at the price history then! 

Actually I was wrong. Kingpin 780ti was only $179 https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/3pkt47/meta_evga_bstock_gpus_back_in_stock_780_ti/.compact

Obviously it's not a brand new one. But it's manufacture refurbished and production of those cards ceased for a while now. Buying one new is paying a premium for collect-ability. 

15 hours ago, afyeung said:

Actually I was wrong. Kingpin 780ti was only $179 https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/3pkt47/meta_evga_bstock_gpus_back_in_stock_780_ti/.compact

Obviously it's not a brand new one. But it's manufacture refurbished and production of those cards ceased for a while now. Buying one new is paying a premium for collect-ability. 

Oh, alright, but either way I need to sit down and do some PCPP price learning.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:29 AM, Lorx7 said:

All the performance gain 2x 3x Nvidia said was a marketing spin, as they were referring to VR performance.

Never will a card that outperform titan X by 2 times, in real games (DX11, DX12), be priced at $599.

They said 1070 is faster than titan X, that could also be only in VR, as no company in their right mind would sell a $379 card that is faster than $1000 card in real games performance.

Titan X below $380? Maybe in your dreams.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

28 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

All the performance gain 2x 3x Nvidia said was a marketing spin, as they were referring to VR performance.

Never will a card that outperform titan X by 2 times, in real games (DX11, DX12), be priced at $599.

They said 1070 is faster than titan X, that could also be only in VR, as no company in their right mind would sell a $379 card that is faster than $1000 card in real games performance.

I agree that it wouldn't seem right for a $379 card to beat a $1000 one. It probably won't happen, but the 1080 can definitely outpace the Titan X even in non vr titles. The 980Ti already outpaced the Titan X as well with the higher factory overclock. Titan X still as the benefit of being a premium card and it has the most VRAM on any gaming card.

11 minutes ago, afyeung said:

I agree that it wouldn't seem right for a $379 card to beat a $1000 one. It probably won't happen, but the 1080 can definitely outpace the Titan X even in non vr titles. The 980Ti already outpaced the Titan X as well with the higher factory overclock. Titan X still as the benefit of being a premium card and it has the most VRAM on any gaming card.

I'm just getting triggered because some people believe the claim that 1080 is 2 times faster than the X, when they have no idea it's just VR.

1080 is not gonna double the framerate of titan X in DX11 DX12 games and be priced at $599 at the same time

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

On 5/9/2016 at 8:39 AM, Festive said:

The price will go down for a couple of weeks while stores sell their remaining stock. Then it'll go back up just like the 780 and 780 Ti did when supply is next to nothing but people still want them to run in SLI.

56 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

Nvidia probably hasn't made a Titan X in months, they haven't made a 980 Ti in at least a month. They don't make these cards anymore. They don't sell them anymore. 600mm^2 chips are incredibly expensive to produce, why do you think Nvidia jumped to 16 nm? And the GTX 970 was a $330 card that outperformed their year and a half old $1000 Titan in real games, so I don't see what's so surprising about a $380 GTX 1070 outperforming a 15 month old Titan X at launch after a node shrink.

43 minutes ago, afyeung said:

But it's exactly what happened with the 970, except it was a $330 card. If the 1070 doesn't offer Titan X level performance it will be pretty depressing to get so little out of a node shrink. Even the 660 Ti outperformed their Titan class card (GTX 580) at launch when they went from 40 nm to 28 nm.

perfrel_2560.gifperfrel_1920.gif

About prices not going down ... if 1070 will cost 380$ and will actually be better in general from titan x or 980 ti ... well prices will drop for those cards.

Example ... 1070 is 10% better in every benchamrk than gtx titan x. Who would pay 1000$ for titan X, if he can get even 10% better performance for 600% less. So if that realy happens, they will have to make lower prices of older cards. By a lot!

About used cards ... well if that will realy happen, you will be able to buy titan x for 250$. Why? well if it performs 10% slower than 380$ worth card (NEW with warranty and everything!) ...

But that's all IF IF IF.

If you ask me, 1070 and 1080 will perform better than titan x only in VR and mabye some specific games that will support some crazy software adjustment and optimisations for those 2 new cards. Why? Because Titan X is a freaking monster.

But hey ... 6 more days till we know everything for sure :)

If Linus team won't release benchamrks and videos about 1070 and 1080 on 17th May, I will write complain and send it to their home address. Not sure where I will find it, but I will do it!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB