Possible virus on 2nd HDD

6 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

I personally don't really like AVG but it should be fine. Zonealarm is a firewall not an antivirus. Make sure to run MalwareBytes before you open any files on your hard drive.

MBAM does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.
It also does not target scripted malware files. That means MBAM will not target; JS, PY, .HTML, VBS, VBE, .CLASS, SWF, SQL, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.
It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

So if one of the malware application disguise as DOC, or PDF then you're screw. 

2 minutes ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

MBAM does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.
It also does not target scripted malware files. That means MBAM will not target; JS, PY, .HTML, VBS, VBE, .CLASS, SWF, SQL, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

So if one of the malware applications disguise as DOC, or PDF then you're screw. 

Source?

So if one of the malware applications disguise as DOC, or PDF then you're screw. 

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/168550-email-virus/?do=findComment&comment=963819 

4 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Exactly. It asked first. And it didn't even suggest running any executable did it? It only suggested viewing files.

It didn't run any executable or anything but it did open the drive up in file explorer...

Am I the only who doesn't have a anti-virus installed? not even malware bytes...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It didn't run any executable or anything but it did open the drive up in file explorer...

Am I the only who doesn't have a anti-virus installed? not even malware bytes...

You have Windows Defender enable on your rig if you don't have any 3rd party antivirus. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nope. I don't use any antivirus. I'm just smart about what I download. 

1 minute ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

You have Windows Defender enable on your rig if you don't have any 3rd party antivirus. 

Disabled technically as I've disabled windows update...(you will never get me windows 10!)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

No he doesn't. He's using windows 7.

Just now, ryan27968 said:

OK seems legit. So you have any other suggestions?

You want free or paid? 

You want free or paid? 

You'd have to ask the OP. It's his system. I would imagine free.

3 hours ago, ryan27968 said:

You'd have to ask the OP. It's his system. I would imagine free.

Im sticking with what i have

2 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

OK seems legit. So you have any other suggestions?

You can install Malwarebytes Anti Exploit free and VoodooShield free to block everything up. Malwarebytes Anti Exploit will block exploit from browser attack, and VoodooShield will block any unknown .exe applications try to run on your machine and alert you. 

2 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

Im sticking with what i have

You shouldn't rely on an antivirus alone.

Nothing was detected on the HDD. Hoping its all good then

7 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

Nothing was detected on the HDD. Hoping its all good then

If nothing was detected then yes it should be fine. However AVG is known to miss viruses a bit more than some other free and paid for antivirus.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

If nothing was detected then yes it should be fine. However AVG is known to miss viruses a bit more than some other free and paid for antivirus.

I also did what was recommended and ran malwarebytes and nothing from it came up either. I have starting running things off it and nothing has happened so far thankfully

1 hour ago, ryan27968 said:

Just because you don't explicitly download something doesn't mean anything. Your browser is downloading things whenever you access a webpage, which goes into your cache or cookie folders. Additionally, webpages can be compromised, including LinusTechTips. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As 99% of this thread is useless I thought I'll add my advice.

I would disable auto run (I've done that since Vista) since I've never used it once, even in XP and I can't think of anyone else who does.

Set UAC to max,

Update your AV and A-M software. That Includes Windows.

Plug the drive in.

Don't open it.

Run your programs on it.

Finished scanning.

Manually look through the drive and delete anything you don't recognise. Use Shift + Delete so it doesn't go to the recycle bin.

Be on with your day.

It's not a race to the bottom.

5 hours ago, ryan27968 said:

This is the mentality that keeps you free from malware in 2004, today in 2016, it's all about compromised websites using exploits to shoe horn their payload directly into the client computer without the user really being involved except for visiting the website.  Your statement of 'Smart about what I download' is just ignorant and painfully out of date.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is the mentality that keeps you free from malware in 2004, today in 2016, it's all about compromised websites using exploits to shoe horn their payload directly into the client computer without the user really being involved except for visiting the website.  Your statement of 'Smart about what I download' is just ignorant and painfully out of date.

He also forgot about worms that only need a computer to be connected to the Internet, and don't rely on a computer's user to do anything at all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just because you don't explicitly download something doesn't mean anything. Your browser is downloading things whenever you access a webpage, which goes into your cache or cookie folders. Additionally, webpages can be compromised, including LinusTechTips. 

That's why I use Avast Premier, cause it auto blocks sites know for being dodgy

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton