Possible virus on 2nd HDD

I had a really bad virus 2 days ago that allowed somebody else full access to my desktop (which they were freely accessing) so i completely wiped my primary 128GB SSD. However i also have a secondary 1TB HDD that is storage for all my games, pictures, extra files etc. Im a little nervous connecting it back yo my desktop because i dont know if anything from the virus is still in there or if there was anything from it at all. All i know for sure is that it completely bypassed my antivirus plus disabled it, filled my SSD completely with crap and junk, and i really dont want to go through it all again. Is there any possible way to ensure that nothing is still present on it without wiping it completely?

5 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

I had a really bad virus 2 days ago that allowed somebody else full access to my desktop (which they were freely accessing) so i completely wiped my primary 128GB SSD. However i also have a secondary 1TB HDD that is storage for all my games, pictures, extra files etc. Im a little nervous connecting it back yo my desktop because i dont know if anything from the virus is still in there or if there was anything from it at all. All i know for sure is that it completely bypassed my antivirus plus disabled it, filled my SSD completely with crap and junk, and i really dont want to go through it all again. Is there any possible way to ensure that nothing is still present on it without wiping it completely?

It could be a possible rootkit? Just format the hdd and everything will be fine. 

Make sure to backup everything that is important. Make sure that you trust the application that you will backup! 

There is no danger whatsoever in simply connecting a drive to a system anymore. It's a myth spread from windows XP days when autoplay was still a thing. It won't do anything to plug it in but make sure that you don't open any files off it(especially programs) as they may be infected. Simply plug in the drive and run your favorite antivirus program on it. Once that's done, run malwarebytes on it for good measure and you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: By favorite antivirus program, i mean something that's actually useful not crap like norton. The ones i trust are: Avast, Windows Security Essentials, Kaspersky, or Bitdefender. If you can, get your hands on ESET NOD. It's simply the best when it comes to getting rid of pesky viruses that slip through other antiviruses. It's not feature rich, but it's very thorough.

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

There is no danger whatsoever in simply connecting a drive to a system anymore. It's a myth spread from windows XP days when autoplay was still a thing. 

Autoplay is still a thing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

But it can at least be disabled still.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No it isn't. A program will never run on its own in windows 7 or higher. In fact, It won't even allow that pop up dialogue to have a custom option such as "Install xyz" unless it's a cd or dvd. Any other form of storage and it'll simply ignore the autorun.inf.

Just now, ryan27968 said:

No it isn't. A program will never run on its own in windows 7 or higher. In fact, It won't even allow that pop up dialogue to have a custom option such as "Install xyz" unless it's a cd or dvd. Any other form of storage and it'll simply ignore the autorun.inf.

Spoiler

44.JPG

As I said, AutoPlay is still a thing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:
  Hide contents

44.JPG

As I said, AutoPlay is still a thing.

Obviously it still exists. But it isn't a problem anymore and it won't do anything without your consent.

Ok children calm down with the autoplay stuff. As far as the anti virus ive been using AVG and also ZoneAlarm Firewall. Ill reconnect it and scan it.

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

Obviously it still exists. But it isn't a problem anymore and it won't do anything without your consent.

So don't say it doesn't exist. 

It's a myth spread from windows XP days when autoplay was still a thing.

Just now, ryan27968 said:

And only if you tell it to through control panel.....

PMSL

1 minute ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

Ok children calm down with the autoplay stuff. As far as the anti virus ive been using AVG and also ZoneAlarm Firewall. Ill reconnect it and scan it.

Should be fine doing that-I had the same problem with my 60GB SSD+2TB HDD (luckily, only the SSD was infected).

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

So don't say it doesn't exist. 

I didn't mean it doesn't exist. I meant it isn't a problem anymore.

16 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

If it virus, then your network is fuck. 

3 minutes ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

I personally don't really like AVG but it should be fine. Zonealarm is a firewall not an antivirus. Make sure to run MalwareBytes before you open any files on your hard drive.

2 minutes ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

If it virus, then your network is fuck. 

Erm, what?

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Erm...I wonder...my second PC just got a new 4TB HDD added yesterday so I can back up the two 2TB drives...let just say autoplay detected the drive (as it's running windows 7) and asked whether I wanted to open up files on the drive...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, ryan27968 said:

I personally don't really like AVG but it should be fine. Zonealarm is a firewall not an antivirus. Make sure to run MalwareBytes before you open any files on your hard drive.

They do offer an antivirus program.

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/antivirus-firewall/

3 hours ago, ryan27968 said:

Im aware ZoneAlarm is a firewall. Thats why i also have AVG for the antivirus

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Erm...I wonder...my second PC just got a new 4TB HDD added yesterday so I can back up the two 2TB drives...let just say autoplay detected the drive (as it's running windows 7) and asked whether I wanted to open up files on the drive...

Exactly. It asked first. And it didn't even suggest running any executable did it? It only suggested viewing files.

3 hours ago, ryan27968 said:

I doubt he's using the antivirus. Terrible idea to run two at the same time.

Im using AVG as the Antivirus ONLY and ZoneAlarm as the Firewall ONLY

1 minute ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

Ive always kinda liked AVG so thats why i use it

What you can try to do is connect the drive, and boot into Safe Mode to have it scanned through there. 

Just now, Lonewolf33651 said:

Im using AVG as the Antivirus ONLY and ZoneAlarm as the Firewall ONLY

Yeah that's what I thought.