Microsoft testing a handoff like feature for Windows 10 Anniversary Update

AlTech

Microsoft is testing out a handoff like feature (See IOS 8 and OS X Yosemite Handoff) to allow Windows 10 Devices to be able to continue from one device to another.

For example, starting an email on your phone and then switching to a laptop for finishing the email.

Microsoft is testing this in their latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast RIng Builds. Let's hope this is released in the anniversary update. This is rumored to require Bluetooth 4.0 + LE so any phone and laptop, tablet or desktop with that should work.

As of now it has not been implemented yet but they are certainly testing it internally.

Microsoft has started testing its app handoff feature, a term popularised by

Apple when it introduced Handoff alongside iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, allowing apps to handover data across devices (such as laptops and smartphones) so that users can continue where they left off. The Redmond giant had revealed it had started work on the feature at the Build conference last month. The Windows 10 feature, codenamed Project Rome, aims to let Windows 10 apps connect and share data with other devices via Bluetooth and the Internet.

As spotted by a Reddit user in the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the privacy section now includes a new toggle option that says, "Let apps on your other devices launch apps and continue experiences on this device over Bluetooth. Changes to this setting will apply to everyone that uses this device." The option however, has not been implemented fully as of now. Users could expect it to be released alongside the Windows 10 Anniversary Update later this year.

macaroni handoff.jpg

Since I own a Windows Phone and multiple Windows Desktop devices I'll be sure to review the handoff like feature when it is released (I don't suppose they'll also call this Continuum).

This is real freaking cool. But the use of this will depend on how many people use Windows Phones. And that may convince people to start considering Windows 10 Mobile.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/microsoft-starts-testing-app-handoff-feature-for-windows-10-830379

untitled.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

How about wMessages? 

As it is, I wouldn't even consider getting a laptop that isn't a Mac or a phone that isn't an iPhone due solely to how well iMessages/calls go between my phone and my computer (and I've yet to find a third party Android application to even come close).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

How about wMessages? 

As it is, I wouldn't even consider getting a laptop that isn't a Mac or a phone that isn't an iPhone due solely to how well iMessages/calls go between my phone and my computer (and I've yet to find a third party Android application to even come close).

This would probably work on anything from messages to emails to documents to skype calls.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This would work on anything from messages to emails to documents to skype calls.

In theory, but whether or not messages/calls will be available/sendable from any/all connected devices and whether or not it will work consistently well is yet to be seen.

I would also really like Android to gain this functionality as well -- and just provide a Windows/OSX/Linus application that supports messages/phone calls.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

In theory, but whether or not messages/calls will be available/sendable from any/all connected devices and whether or not it will work consistently well is yet to be seen.

I would also really like Android to gain this functionality as well -- and just provide a Windows/OSX/Linus application that supports messages/phone calls.

They can because they've integrated messaging and skype together.

WhatsApp is fine for cross platform communication.

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

How about wMessages? 

If you have project fi phone service all messages, calls and voicemail can be done on any device that has internet and google hangouts. it is very awesome taking phone calls on my desktop when im playing video games.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

IOS and OSX handoff is so freaking awesome and very handy. Microsoft should try and implement it system wide from browsers to the Universal apps. I'll be looking forward to test it out.

does anyone know if NIC teaming will be fixed in this update?

Its been broken for months

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

How about wMessages? 

Did you try AirDroid (featured app Win/Mac, Linux browser only), PushBullet (Win/Mac/Linux) or MightyText(Win/Mac/Linux)? 

There's also Samsung's own solution called SideSync (Win/Mac), Galaxy exclusive

https://www.airdroid.com

https://mightytext.net

https://help.pushbullet.com

http://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

maybe i'm stupid but why the fuck does this need bluetooth to function

You're not stupid for asking that. It is a very good question why they chose Bluetooth instead of WiFi.

Cool feature but it seems like they crippled it by deciding to only use Bluetooth. Maybe WiFi support comes in a later update.

5 hours ago, atrash said:

IOS and OSX handoff is so freaking awesome and very handy. Microsoft should try and implement it system wide from browsers to the Universal apps. I'll be looking forward to test it out.

Though the proper term for the iOS and OS X version is called Continuity. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're not stupid for asking that. It is a very good question why they chose Bluetooth instead of WiFi.

Cool feature but it seems like they crippled it by deciding to only use Bluetooth. Maybe WiFi support comes in a later update.

Yeah, so I need to buy a bluetooth card for my PC? Fuck that. Nobody has bloody bluetooth on their desktop.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Though the proper term for the iOS and OS X version is called Continuity. 

They have Hand Off and Continuity. both are Apple terminology.

17 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Yeah, so I need to buy a bluetooth card for my PC? Fuck that. Nobody has bloody bluetooth on their desktop.

Linus does and LMG computers do. If you have high end Mobos then you should.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

They have Hand Off and Continuity. both are Apple terminology.

You're correct. Hand Off is a specific term that they use in association with Continuity with the latter including other features in addition to Hand Off. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Did you try AirDroid (featured app Win/Mac, Linux browser only), PushBullet (Win/Mac/Linux) or MightyText(Win/Mac/Linux)? 

Ive tried mighty text and it just didnt work all that seamlessly.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Isn't this just the Continuum feature they talked about ages ago?

6 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Isn't this just the Continuum feature they talked about ages ago?

Nope. Continuum is when you connect a compatible Windows Phone to a dock (or wirelessly to a display which supports miracast) and used a keyboard, mouse and monitor and essentially make it feel like a PC. This is limited to only certain apps and certain handsets (currently only on Lumia 950, 950 XL, Acer's new flagship Windows Phone and HP's new Business WIndows Phone) 

This is basically like apple's Continuity feature. Where you can start doing something on one device and then wireless switch to the other to finish it off. Except this is for Windows 10 devices. Below is an example of Apple's implementation. 

macaroni handoff.jpg

12 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

maybe i'm stupid but why the fuck does this need bluetooth to function

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It comes down to the question of whether you want the email data on a closed channel, or on the intranet.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

8 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

It comes down to the question of whether you want the email data on a closed channel, or on the intranet.

You could still steal data from a Bluetooth stream, though?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Pushbullet is love, Pushbullet is life.

Though i wish they switched their desktop app to something other that chromium. (not Java though)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

33 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Or they could have an alternative for both. Bluetooth has such a limited range, and it's not a very common feature for desktops and laptops. If snooping is a concern then they could just encrypt it in the application layer when you select the WiFi option.

32 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You could still steal data from a Bluetooth stream, though?

There are standards which allow Bluetooth to be encrypted, and I assume Microsoft will use that. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe Bluetooth does the job just fine while consuming less power using Bluetooth low power? 

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

....and it's not a very common feature for desktops and laptops.

Most laptops have bluetooth. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler