Microsoft testing a handoff like feature for Windows 10 Anniversary Update

AlTech
1 hour ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Pushbullet is love, Pushbullet is life.

Though i wish they switched their desktop app to something other that chromium. (not Java though)

i just use the browser add-on, never close opera to begin with and it's the first thing i open when i turn on any computer.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

41 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

Maybe Bluetooth does the job just fine while consuming less power using Bluetooth low power? 

For sending such small amounts of data the power usage would be negligible (it should only be a few KB). Being able to "handoff" to a device more than ~2 meters away from your desktop would be well worth the extra power it could potentially use.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most laptops have bluetooth. 

Okay maybe most modern laptops, but not most desktops (which I guess would be the biggest use case for this).

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Okay maybe most modern laptops, but not most desktops (which I guess would be the biggest use case for this).

I feel like laptops would have an equally large use case, especially when you consider that most people (excluding offices) nowadays are switching from desktops to laptops (at least from my experience). 

Also, I think even a lot of newer (again, non-office) desktops (from the past couple of years) come with wifi/bluetooth included as well. Basically everything from Dell right now has wifi/bluetooth included. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I feel like laptops would have an equally large use case, especially when you consider that most people (excluding offices) nowadays are switching from desktops to laptops (at least from my experience). 

Also, I think even a lot of newer (again, non-office) desktops (from the past couple of years) come with wifi/bluetooth included as well. 

Do most Windows based laptops even have bluetooth? Manufacturers skimp on everything so I wouldn't even be surprised if most laptops don't have bluetooth. My business grade dell from 2 years ago didn't come with bluetooth (it came with a junk dell wifi card) so I swapped it for a Intel 7260AC wifi bluetooth combo. 

3 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

Do most Windows based laptops even have bluetooth? Manufacturers skimp on everything so I wouldn't even be surprised if most laptops don't have bluetooth. My business grade dell from 2 years ago didn't come with bluetooth (it came with a junk dell wifi card) so I swapped it for a Intel 7260AC wifi bluetooth combo. 

Yes, I can't remember the last time I saw a laptop without bluetooth. Even most of Dells desktops (all the home-use ones) also have bluetooth -- even the dirt cheap ones. 

Business desktops/laptops are different since most companies don't care about wifi/bluetooth (whereas wifi is a necessity in many homes and/or it makes peoples lives easier).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, kurahk7 said:

I just checked on "prisjack" (Swedish site that compares prices on things from Swedish stores). That site has 3580 different laptops and 3482 of them got Bluetooth.

That's new laptops though (ones you can buy online today). It will probably become less and less common as you go back in time.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Or they could have an alternative for both. Bluetooth has such a limited range, and it's not a very common feature for desktops and laptops. If snooping is a concern then they could just encrypt it in the application layer when you select the WiFi option.

For the use cases of this application, the "limited" range is more than good enough. Also, Bluetooth is, to my knowledge, less prone to household and office-space interference than even 5GHz WiFi suffers from.

Honestly, I was not even looking at this on the perspective of privacy, but rather that of LAN congestion.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

23 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

For the use cases of this application, the "limited" range is more than good enough. Also, Bluetooth is, to my knowledge, less prone to household and office-space interference than even 5GHz WiFi suffers from.

Honestly, I was not even looking at this on the perspective of privacy, but rather that of LAN congestion.

Even if the limited range ends up being perfectly fine all the time (which I doubt it will), it would still be better with WiFi since you could have your desktop, connected with a cable, handoff to your phone (connected with WiFi).

Bluetooth is just as prone to interference as 2.4GHz WiFi is. It's just that the data rates are so much lower than most people don't notice it as much (and it is only used at a distance of like 1 meter). Put your WiFi router 2 meters from your phone and you will probably be able to get the same or higher speed Bluetooth will get you (most likely around 2Mbps).

Handy :) Though wifi and bluetooth would be good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Or they could have an alternative for both. Bluetooth has such a limited range, and it's not a very common feature for desktops and laptops. If snooping is a concern then they could just encrypt it in the application layer when you select the WiFi option.

There are standards which allow Bluetooth to be encrypted, and I assume Microsoft will use that. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

From What've heard it's just gonna be Bluetooth. No Wi-Fi. Apple uses Bluetooth for their implementation as well.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

From What've heard it's just gonna be Bluetooth. No Wi-Fi. Apple uses Bluetooth for their implementation as well.

texts/phone calls go over wifi. Possibly other parts of handoff are also over wifi. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

texts/phone calls go over wifi. Possibly other parts of handoff are also over wifi. 

Transitioning from one device to another is Bluetooth. This is what Handoff is.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Nice, too bad I implemented this years ago or I might consider using it. :(

Nevermind, looks like it only supports Windows. I use too many Android and Linux devices to use this.

-KuJoe

6 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

These days almost all WiFI chipsets come with Bluetooth in it.