R9 390 GPU to Hot?

I just built my first PC everything seems to be working fine, But my Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Strix Video Card seems to be running hotter then average. (It's not overclockable or anything like that so I dunno why its so hot.)

60~ on idle. (blank desktop or browsing internet on how to reduce GPU heat etc)
70~ When just watching a youtube video.
80-90 When playing games, (Ex:Far cry primal, Lichdom battle mage, Injustice gods among us, Warhammer Dawn of war 1 & 2, Doom open beta, HItman) pretty much any game I've tried.

The reason I choose a "Strix" video card was because it was meant to be "30% Cooler. 0dB Gaming" meaning if I hadn't got the "30% cooler" and got another graphics card I would be running at 86 idle, 100 while watching youtube and 115-130 while gaming? That doesn't seem right.

The 60~ idle I'm not so worried about and I don' think neither is the 70~ while watching youtube is a huge problem but 80-90 while playing any game (changing to the lowest settings in game doesn't seem to effect anything) concerns me not that it will blow up or start a fire or anything just that it will harm the lifespan of my GPU because a lot of posts I've read said to be concerns when it gets to 90 and gets pretty close to that consistently and the reason I bring up the idle and youtube temperatures because of the fact that it's higher then average seems to have some relation to the issue. (Not just higher while gaming but higher in general)

I opened up both sides of my case and it didn't really effect the temp (maybe few degrees) so I don't think it's a air flow issue. (Fairly spacious case with two 120mm fans with the intake blowing basically onto the graphics card)

I have setup a MSI afterburner custom fan setting to play at cooler temps which cools down about 10degrees but fans are pretty load and fast which I don't think is healthy for the lifespan either..

Is it like a option somewhere that's making it run hot that I can adjust or something like are there tips and tricks to make GPU's run cooler in general by disabling/enabling things? The "Clocks" seem high I have no idea what they are or do but there always at 1050/1500 idk if that's normal? (Even if they seem obvious tips to you, I know next to nothing about GPU cooling since this is my first build) Any help at all would be appreciated.

Full computer build:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/LgNRjX

Radeon stats:
Radeon Software Version - 16.3.2
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1050 MHz
Memory Clock - 1500Mhz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

I don't know anything about AMD gpus, but my 970 is at 30 idle, max 65 while gaming. I also have the Corsair Spec 03

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

8 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

I don't know anything about AMD gpus, but my 970 is at 30 idle, max 65 while gaming. I also have the Corsair Spec 03

Thanks for reply it's helpful to have that comparison, Even though things like that is what concerns me, I don't know much about anything (Only what I could fiqure out while learning how to build a computer in a few weeks), Is your 970 a Asus? Is it a Strix?

Trying to figure out why with the same case with same type of card (I think 970 is like the nvidia alternative of r9 390 and vise versa) but my idle temp is your max gaming temp... I dunno what I'm missing. :S Because even other posts I've seen around while trying to research seem it indicate these are high temperatures for AMD r9 390 cards.

How fast were the gpu fans spinning? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

Things like that is what concerns me, I don't know much about anything (Only what I could fiqure out while learning how to build a computer in a few weeks), Is your 970 a Asus? Is it a Strix?

Trying to figure out why with the same case with same type of card (I think 970 is like the nvidia alternative of r9 390 and vise versa) but my idle temp is your max gaming temp... I dunno what I'm missing. :S Because even other posts I've seen around while trying to research seem it indicate these are high temperatures for AMD r9 390 cards.

Oh you had to get the worst version of the 300 series cards. Always avoid Asus and Gigabyte for AMD cards :c No wonder it's running hot, the 390 strix wasn't designed for the 390, two of the heat pipes don't make contact with the GPU itself, therefore those temps are normal. Also, that 60 dog idle is because the fans don't spin until above that. That no fan spinning feature isn't exclusive for the strix line, I'm fairly certain the Sapphire one has it too and it's much cooler. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

It's to be expect you have the ASUS model, ASUS & GIGABYTE designed the 300 series coolers poorly for AMD GPUs. I don't get why they didn't stick with the 200 series design which cooled the R9 290/290X so much better.

Here's your GPU with ASUS fail design - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_390x_strix_8g_review,9.html

Previous cooler designs:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_radeon_r9_290x_windforce_3x_oc_review,11.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-r9-290x-directcuii-oc-review,10.html

2 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

Thanks for reply it's helpful to have that comparison, Even though things like that is what concerns me, I don't know much about anything (Only what I could fiqure out while learning how to build a computer in a few weeks), Is your 970 a Asus? Is it a Strix?

I have the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. When I'm watching Youtube videos, the gpu goes up to 35 DC (degrees celcius) max, and the fans are not spinning if the gpu core is below 60 DC. Also I OC'ed my gpu to +25mV core voltage, 110% power limit, +150mhz core clock, +250Mhz memory and fans are on auto. 

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Yeah, sounds like just a bad version of the 300 cards. My xfx 390 on idle is 32

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

You've got a crappy aftermarket cooler

What does aftermarket cooler mean? Seems like people are saying I got a dodgy GPU should I get a refund or return it or something? or is it not even broken it's just a scam GPU that you can't get refunded because it's meant to be bad?

1 minute ago, Billiam123 said:

What does aftermarket cooler mean? Seems like people are saying I got a dodgy GPU should I get a refund or return it or something? or is it not even broken it's just a scam GPU that you can't get refunded because it's meant to be bad?

Aftermarket means brands other than the reference coolers like asus, msi, sapphire, XFX, poweroclor makes aftermarket coolers

1 minute ago, Billiam123 said:

Aftermarket means that a brand like ASUS gets a GPU without any cooler, and designs their own cooler for the gpu. It's better than a cooler from Intel, AMD, Nvidia or AMD.

7 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

"Aftermarket cooler" refers to the ASUS STRIX cooler on your GPU. And he's right, the STRIX coolers on the 300 series are atrocious. If you want better temperatures, return your STRIX and buy a different one. Here's some good 390's:

Sapphire Nitro

MSI Gaming Twin Frozr (NOT the Armor 2X)

Powercolor PCS+

XFX DD

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

But Aytex said it was crappy but you say it's better then Intel, AMD, Nvidia. But everyone seems to think my GPU isn't that good, So does that mean I got a broken cooler I should refund?

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

"Aftermarket cooler" refers to the ASUS STRIX cooler on your GPU. And he's right, the STRIX coolers on the 300 series are atrocious. If you want better temperatures, return your STRIX and buy a different one. Here's some good 390's:

Sapphire Nitro

Powercolor PCS+

XFX DD

I had no idea there was better or worse of the same card I only choose Asus for a free game.....http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/far-cry-primal/

If it's meant to be that hot does that mean it will have no adverse effects or is it just that bad that its a scam card that will have a short lifespan and only solution is to try and refund it?

11 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

I had no idea there was better or worse of the same card I only choose Asus for a free game.....http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/far-cry-primal/

If it's meant to be that hot does that mean it will have no adverse effects or is it just that bad that its a scam card that will have a short lifespan and only solution is to try and refund it?

It's not a "scam card"  or anything, it's just not a great 390. There's technically nothing wrong with it. The temperatures aren't going to kill the GPU any time soon. It's just that other 390's will cool better and be quieter. The" 30% quieter and 0db gaming" that ASUS advertises is just that, marketing. No truth behind it. 

Not a scam card. Just not that great. 

16 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

It's not a "scam card"  or anything, it's just not a great 390. There's technically nothing wrong with it. The temperatures aren't going to kill the GPU any time soon. It's just that other 390's will cool better and be quieter. The" 30% quieter and 0db gaming" that ASUS advertises is just that, marketing. No truth behind it. 

Not a scam card. Just not that great. 

So what do you think I should do? Try and return it and swap it for https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33705/sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-tri-x-with-backplate-8gb/ (I have no idea if that's possible but worth trying?)

or just accept it going to be hot? 67degrees right now just reading these comments and gets close to 90 (highest is 91 I've seen so far) while gaming. How long do you expect the graphics card to last at those temps?

12 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

So what do you think I should do? Try and return it and swap it for https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33705/sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-tri-x-with-backplate-8gb/ (I have no idea if that's possible but worth trying?)

or just accept it going to be hot? 67degrees right now just reading these comments and gets close to 90 while gaming. How long do you expect the graphics card to last at those temps?

That 390 will cool much better than the STRIX you have. If you can return the one you have and buy that one, I would do it. 

90°C is almost dangerous on a 390. The card could become damaged if it gets hotter. And the thing is, summer is coming, so hotter indoor temperatures will make that 90° into something even hotter, potentially damaging the card. I would get it replaced, since even my old 7970 (one hot mofo of a card) only gets to 56°C max. 

1 hour ago, Billiam123 said:

or just accept it going to be hot? 67degrees right now just reading these comments and gets close to 90 while gaming. How long do you expect the graphics card to last at those temps?

You can try to return it/swap it out. Computer hardware (commonly CPUs/GPUs) can withstand very high temperatures for a long time. I mean just look at the reference designs from Nvidia and AMD those cards run at 80C + under load for the most part, to be specific the GTX 480 and R9 290X can run at 95C no problems (only acoustics). It's obviously not desireable for components to run at high temperatures, so up to you if you want to swap it out.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_470_480_review,13.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r9_290_review_benchmarks,11.html

i have the Strix GTX 980ti which i think share the same cooler design...and my card is overclocked to 1450mhz.

My card is 45 to 50c on the desktop with the fans not spinning (the owl thing that makes the card silent on desktop, you know..)...and it gets to around 70 to 75c while gaming (depending on the game) with 50% fanspeed or so.

The GTX 980ti having similar powerdraw to the R9 390 Strix (i think)...so i think your card is running a bit hot...but i'm not sure has i've not tested the AMD chip...i would assume it shouldnt go higher than 80c in games...unless the fans run super slow and the card is highly overclocked.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i have the Strix GTX 980ti which i think share the same cooler design...and my card is overclocked to 1450mhz.

My card is 45 to 50c on the desktop with the fans not spinning (the owl thing that makes the card silent on desktop, you know..)...and it gets to around 70 to 75c while gaming (depending on the game) with 50% fanspeed or so.

The GTX 980ti having similar powerdraw to the R9 390 Strix (i think)...so i think your card is running a bit hot...but i'm not sure has i've not tested the AMD chip...i would assume it shouldnt go higher than 80c in games...unless the fans run super slow and the card is highly overclocked.

Well I don't have a overcloackable motherboard or the X version of the GPU so I don't think it is even possible to overclock (I don't know how to do it even) so I'm pretty sure it's just the bog standard settings which I think is also concerning. (I can't imagine how hot the overclocked asus r9 390 would get..)

The fans do run slow on there default mode but when I setup a custom fan setting in MSI after burner to get the temperatures lower then 80 while gaming I gotta use sound canceling headphones so I can barely hear the fans.

33 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

Well I don't have a overcloackable motherboard or the X version of the GPU so I don't think it is even possible to overclock (I don't know how to do it even) so I'm pretty sure it's just the bog standard settings which I think is also concerning. (I can't imagine how hot the overclocked asus r9 390 would get..)

The fans do run slow on there default mode but when I setup a custom fan setting in MSI after burner to get the temperatures lower then 80 while gaming I gotta use sound canceling headphones so I can barely hear the fans.

The Asus cooler is a copy-pasta one from the Fury and results in half the heatpipes not making contact with the die and that causes abusrd temps - the Asus design is just flawed and crappy.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just out of curiosity, do you have multiple monitors? Or a 144hz monitor? My card did run a bit hotter with just a 144hz monitor. I cranked it down to 120hz and temps went down about 10-12 degrees. 

One 144hz monitor:
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34519/aoc-g2460pf-24in-144hz-freesync-gaming-led-monitor/

Right now:
66degrees at 144hz
53 at 120hz

71 at 144hz on youtube
71 at 120hz on youtube

Idle its cooler but using the GPU to any degree doesn't seem to have an effect, Even if it did I don't really want to not use 144hz considering i got 144hz monitor to use 144hz. I still don't think it can't solely be because its 144hz that it's running so hot.

5 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

One 144hz monitor:
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34519/aoc-g2460pf-24in-144hz-freesync-gaming-led-monitor/

Right now:
66degrees at 144hz
53 at 120hz

71 at 144hz on youtube
71 at 120hz on youtube

Idle its cooler but using the GPU to any degree doesn't seem to have an effect, Even if it did I don't really want to not use 144hz considering i got 144hz monitor to use 144hz. I still don't think it can't solely be because its 144hz that it's running so hot.

I leave mine at 120hz and turn it back to 144hz when I'm planning on actually playing a game. Up to you, just figured that it would give you a cool down somewhat without making a huge difference in smoothness of just browsing sites.

85degrees at 144hz in hitman menu at 44% fanspeed (100% gpu usage), Same for 120hz (I could do more fanspeed to cool it more but its already fairly loud and I don't know what is a good fan speed to have it at if running it over X speed will cause lifespan problems or something))

Thanks for tip any little things like that help even if they don't help knowing about them to try them is useful, Just sucks it doesn't help when doing anything except been idle, when been idle isn't a issue.