R9 390 GPU to Hot?

3 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

85degrees at 144hz in hitman menu at 44% fanspeed (100% gpu usage), Same for 120hz (I could do more fanspeed to cool it more but its already fairly loud and I don't know what is a good fan speed to have it at if running it over X speed will cause lifespan problems or something))

Thanks for tip any little things like that help even if they don't help knowing about them to try them is useful, Just sucks it doesn't help when doing anything except been idle, when been idle isn't a issue.

Sucks, hope you can get it returned. You should be getting much better temps for a 390. Definitely check out the Sapphire, xfx, or MSI versions. 

6 minutes ago, MorbidAnge1 said:

Sucks, hope you can get it returned. You should be getting much better temps for a 390. Definitely check out the Sapphire, xfx, or MSI versions. 

Asus do indeed make crappy cards

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

11 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Asus do indeed make crappy cards

In your signature:
GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB

Is the Asus R9 280 the one not crappy asus card or did you get conned into one as well and that's how you know there crappy?

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

The Asus cooler is a copy-pasta one from the Fury and results in half the heatpipes not making contact with the die and that causes abusrd temps - the Asus design is just flawed and crappy.

that would indeed explain why i don't get such crappy results on my 980ti...so which cards does the Strix DCU3 cooler work well? Fury and 980ti?

390/390X are crappy? (well...i know they are all kinda crappy to some extent but my 980ti is nowhere near as bad as that guy's 390 seem to be)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Billiam123 said:

In your signature:

Is the Asus R9 280 the one not crappy asus card or did you get conned into one as well and that's how you know there crappy?

Got fucked over as well - 2 of my heatpipes don't make contact with the GPU. Just look at the results above - the Sapphire 390 runs at 65*C whereas the Asus 390 runs at 85-90*C

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 hour ago, Billiam123 said:

Well I don't have a overcloackable motherboard or the X version of the GPU so I don't think it is even possible to overclock (I don't know how to do it even) so I'm pretty sure it's just the bog standard settings which I think is also concerning. (I can't imagine how hot the overclocked asus r9 390 would get..)

The fans do run slow on there default mode but when I setup a custom fan setting in MSI after burner to get the temperatures lower then 80 while gaming I gotta use sound canceling headphones so I can barely hear the fans.

you don't have to have an overclocking motherboard or the ''x'' version of the graphics card in order to overclock it...any motherboard would do and the R9 390X just mean it's a fully enabled chip, it has some more stream processors active therefore it's a bit faster...and more expensive...but all those GPU's are overclockeable...in fact...every desktop GPU that i know of is overclockeable.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that would indeed explain why i don't get such crappy results on my 980ti...so which cards does the Strix DCU3 cooler work well? Fury and 980ti?

390/390X are crappy? (well...i know they are all kinda crappy to some extent but my 980ti is nowhere near as bad as that guy's 390 seem to be)

Fury is the card for which the cooler was designed but it still performs shitty

3 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

In your signature:

Asus makes poor GPU designs for years now...it's a well known fact...they make amazing motherboards...but GPU,s are average at best. my 980ti is nothing special either.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Asus makes poor GPU designs for years now...it's a well known fact...they make amazing motherboards...but GPU,s are average at best. my 980ti is nothing special either.

Why didn't you go for another model? Price? Aesthetics?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Unfortunatly, this is a well known issue with the Asus cards.

Even the 390X matrix platinum runs hot like hell.

The only thing you could do, is ramp up  the fans as high as possible, and then your temps should basicly drop to arround 80°C / 85°C

The Asus 290 (X) 390 (X) cards are realy rubbish as far as the cooling unit goes.

The best AMD R9-390 (X) you could buy is the Sapphire 390 Nitro OC with backplate.

11 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Why didn't you go for another model? Price? Aesthetics?

yes price because i got a very good deal on a slightly used card...and aesthetics as well i do think the card is gorgeous especially the side of the shroud with the leds and power leds and the backplate with the red square on it it's beautiful in my system...also it ain't that bad it overclock decently well and temps and noise are within reasonable limits...but the MSI 980ti or EVGA classified would have been better choices i think....but not available for the price i paid for the card.

Lets just say it was at least 100$ cheaper than a MSI gaming or EVGA classified card...and i liked the look of it so i pulled the trigger on it...i don't regret it but i do realize there are better 980ti's out there.

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Even with their motherboards, it seems that only their Z series are ever reliable. I see to many problems with the H and B series on different forums and retail sites.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes price because i got a very good deal on a slightly used card...and aesthetics as well i do think the card is gorgeous especially the side of the shroud with the leds and power leds and the backplate with the red square on it it's beautiful in my system...also it ain't that bad it overclock decently well and temps and noise are within reasonable limits...but the MSI 980ti or EVGA classified would have been better choices i think....but not available for the price i paid for the card.

Till now i have not realy heard much bad things about the Asus 980Ti strix DCU3 OC. with 1.22ghz base clock.

The Asus R9-Fury Strix also does cool fine.

But as far as the Hawai based chips goes, those are realy realy hot chips, and hard to keep cool.

The only brand that has a reasonable cooling unit on their Hawai based cards is Sapphire.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Even with their motherboards, it seems that only their Z series are ever reliable. I see to many problems with the H and B series on different forums and retail sites.

well then...lol...at least they have good softwares and UEFI...MSI boards are great too i love mine the UEFI is super on it and it has good sound chip and the killer network is great to have too IMHO...i love being able to download large files or games while gaming without getting lag and shit...which i was not able to do with my previous boards...

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Till now i have not realy heard much bad things about the Asus 980Ti strix DCU3 OC. with 1.22ghz base clock.

But as far as the Hawai based chips goes, that are realy realy hot chips.

And hard to keep cool.

The only brand that has a reasonable cooling untit on their Hawai based cards is Sapphire.

Is this a good sapphire card?
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33705/sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-tri-x-with-backplate-8gb/

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

that's exactly the one i have in my system...and it's not bad...overclocked the card reach 76c in the witcher 3 with 50% fanspeed...the problem is that even 55% is quite louder...60% is defenetly too loud for my liking...but if i do ramp up the fans to 60% the temps goes down to around 70-72c...so the cooling potential is there...but the fans are IMHO on the cheaper side, and they are loud...i use to have a twinfrozr iv GTX 780...and that thing even with 65-70% fanspeed the noise was still under control...the 3 fans on the strixx card are loud and lazy IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

Yes. :)

That is the card i was talking about above, they just name it slightly diffrent.

Because the 200 series cards had the name TriX, and vapor X back in the days.

The offcial name is the Sapphire 390 Nitro OC with backplate 1.04Ghz core clock.

Thats the version you want.

Part#: 100382NTOC-2L
(or) 11244-01-20G

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's exactly the one i have in my system...and it's not bad...overclocked the card reach 76c in the witcher 3 with 50% fanspeed...the problem is that even 55% is quite louder...60% is defenetly too loud for my liking...but if i do ramp up the fans to 60% the temps goes down to around 70-72c...so the cooling potential is there...but the fans are IMHO on the cheaper side, and they are loud...i use to have a twinfrozr iv GTX 780...and that thing even with 65-70% fanspeed the noise was still under control...the 3 fans on the strixx card are loud and lazy IMHO.

Yeah unfortunatly if you take off the cooling unit, your warranty is probably gone.

But sometimes, re-applying thermal paste, can help allot.

16 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah unfortunatly if you take off the cooling unit, your warranty is probably gone.

But sometimes, re-applying thermal paste, can help allot.

yes and i do suspect a sloppy thermal material application as well...but indeed one of the screw around the GPU die has a warranty void sticker on it so i can't pop it off to re-apply...but like i said it's still maneageable so long as the card does not reach like 80-82c which does not happen and the noise with 50% fanspeed is good enough that the card is not annoying so i'm fine with it...the performance is insane as well...i get 8200mhz on memory and 1450mhz on the core with no voltage increase so i'm happy with that.

29 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

But as far as the Hawai based chips goes, those are realy realy hot chips, and hard to keep cool.

The only brand that has a reasonable cooling unit on their Hawai based cards is Sapphire.

Nah, MSI and XFX do an amazing job too. PowerColor is decent, but their coolers have very bad acoustics.

390-tempsTemperatures

On 25/04/2016 at 2:08 AM, Sintezza said:

Unfortunatly, this is a well known issue with the Asus cards.

On 25/04/2016 at 2:06 AM, i_build_nanosuits said:

Asus makes poor GPU designs for years now...it's a well known fact.

I just want to say that maybe to you guys but to someone new to computer building using only my limited knowledge and google I can't really find much at all that indicates Asus are poor or have issues, Specially to the degree of a "Well known issue" or "Well known fact" (This thread is more informative then anything I can find anywhere else)

Every review video or site seems to say there good or have no mention of poor design for cooling, Even the Linustechtips video (the channel this forum is for) says about the Asus R9 390x "We know it's a beast at cooling"

I just wanted to make a point that it's not well known or obvious or even easy to find out that information for people. Who aren't already "in the know" (at least for me and other people who have bought Asus cards I assume there still making them because people are buying them),

Drinking bleach is a well known issue and fact that it's bad for you, Even if you don't know if it is or not anyone without any prior knowledge is able to easily look it up and find out without any confusion or difficulty, But knowing that a specific part of a computer(video card) is using specific parts(cooler) that weren't designed for other specific parts(not contacting gpu) so it causes a specific issue(over heating) because they use a specific method (after market coolers not designed for the gpu copy pasted from other gpus) That is not something obvious anyone without prior knowledge can look up easily to be classified as "well known issue or fact" It should be well known but it isn't. imo

6 hours ago, Billiam123 said:

Drinking bleach is a well known issue and fact that it's bad for you, Even if you don't know if it is or not anyone without any prior knowledge is able to easily look it up and find out without any confusion or difficulty, But knowing that a specific part of a computer(video card) is using specific parts(cooler) that weren't designed for other specific parts(not contacting gpu) so it causes a specific issue(over heating) because they use a specific method (after market coolers not designed for the gpu copy pasted from other gpus) That is not something obvious anyone without prior knowledge can look up easily to be classified as "well known issue or fact" It should be well known but it isn't. imo

as far as the mention of some heat transfering pipes not touching the GPU die properly, i'm not really sure about that...they are not touching because the die is too small to even require them to touch, as seen in this picture taken right after the cooler was lifted off...would you consider this as ''not touching'' ? i dont...this is an R9 390 Strix

ASUS-R93908GB-STRIX_038_642_2b2fa.JPG

Also from the picture you can tell that the VRM and the chokes are all making contact with the cooler directly, and that the ram chips ARE NOT cooled actively by the cooler.

They used the same design for the R9 Fury and GTX 980ti...but those chips are indeed touching all the heatpipes, because the GPU die itself is like as big as both the graphics chip and the interposer in that R9 390 picture ^^

As far as i'm concerned, i think the thermal paste application might be inadequate on my card...and i can't double check it before it void the warranty...and i think my card has cheap ass fans with loud bearings and blades and i can't spin them at anything anymore than 52% or else the card gets too loud for comfort...but if i spin them to 70% of something, my temps do never exceed 70c at anytime even with an overclock...but then the card must be under your desk far away from you and you need sound cancelling headphones and no wife around. :P

Here is a render of the cooler, this is what the design look like...the hawaii GPU is just too small i think...for a 300W part ;)

cool.jpg

cool.jpg

This is a 980ti Strix card, notice the bigger GPU die:
strix-gtx980ti-dc3-6gd5_pcb-55ba0f6b8294

And this is the Fury

front.jpg

On 25/04/2016 at 0:22 AM, Sintezza said:

And Msi and XFX and PowerColor/Club3D. 

But not gigabyte though. Das shit. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

36 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:
36 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

as far as the mention of some heat transfering pipes not touching the GPU die properly, i'm not really sure about that...they are not touching because the die is too small to even require them to touch, as seen in this picture taken right after the cooler was lifted off...would you consider this as ''not touching'' ? i dont...this is an R9 390 Strix

I'm having a really hard time understanding anything you said or what I'm meant to be looking for in the pictures, I assume Heatpipes are the metal looking pipes and the GPU is the CPU looking thing, I dunno what a "die" is but as far as I can tell the thermal paste is on the metal pipes from the GPU that means that they where touching?

But you can see how confusing all this is to someone who doesn't already know all this (like me), Hence my point it's not a well known issue/fact that you can easily find out.

9 hours ago, Billiam123 said:

Every review video or site seems to say there good or have no mention of poor design for cooling, Even the Linustechtips video (the channel this forum is for) says about the Asus R9 390x "We know it's a beast at cooling"

I'm not sure why Luke would say that when he contradicts himself at 3:50.

If you can return that card for an MSI or Sapphire one which you linked that would be ideal. If you're from Australia then 90C during Autumn is quite bad. Your card will probably throttle during the Summer.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |