Comcast: We want our customers to hate us so much that they pay us money

AlTech
3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

"Capitalism is dead!" type the keyboard warriors on their computers using the internet.

Having goods doesn't mean you live in a capitalist country.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

"There is absolutely no anticompetitive belief or objective."

That is all.

7 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

You're confusing capitalism for corporatism. In capitalism there's no system in place for players like Comcast or TWC to keep competition out. Look at Romania, their internet system is what you get from decades of cutthroat competition where the government didn't stick its nose in.

This guy gets it

8 hours ago, Ronnie76 said:

Capitalism is a really good idea in a democracy...

oh wait...

no its not its the worst fucking thing ever.

Too bad we really can't do anything about monopolies, the governemnt is given too much money by TWC, Comcast and others 

It is the best that we know, because when the political power is in the hands of people, the money should be there too

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Did something change? Comcast only enforced their data caps in 2 cities last time I had them and suspended data caps for the rest of the country.

-KuJoe

14 hours ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Hmm not true, you can stick die anywhere in there. terrorists

Funny but true. Still the same concept 

Well, you don't really have a choice when you can either have Time Warner in one area or Comcast in the other. You get this kind of shit.

Ye ole' train

Japan's high speed internet is one of the main reasons why I never considered moving back to the USA since 2008.

3 hours ago, xentropa said:

Japan's high speed internet is one of the main reasons why I never considered moving back to the USA since 2008.

Where did you live? The US and Japan's avg aren't that different anymore o.O

-----

Comcast is the only ISP in my area but soon I will be in the lands of Google Fiber. Once I'm there I'm going to send Comcast a letter telling them to eat a donkey's penis...:3

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Comcast is the worst and in places like my home we have no other options at all....they lie they have stolen money from us with false claims and they cant even get their equipment to function properly. Imagine having to call in once a week for 6 months and them saying....umm no sir your modem isnt connected to your account we still have the old one (that i returned at the store and made sure was removed) to have to list every fing model and serial number i could possibly find before being put through the same mess. Currently they have raised my bill total and mislead us to the package price an dare stealing 10$ a month. cant wait for google or the free internet movement to kick in

On 25/04/2016 at 8:09 PM, AlexTheRose said:

and aren’t sure whether Clinton or Sanders would be the better candidate.

What's the problem with this statement?

I think this whole election is a big list of losers, last time we got a decent republican was McCain, he shot himself in the foot by teaming up with Palin . 

I have no idea who id rather be president 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

On 4/24/2016 at 6:30 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's normally a matter of choosing between the lessor of multiple evils. Unless you're one of the lucky few that have small providers available that provide good speeds and no bullshit. 

I live in the middle of nowhere so I have a no BS provider with decent speeds but it is pretty expensive since I live in the middle of nowhere. 15/1 for $60 a month. May seem like a lot, but compared to other providers in my area it's great. No data caps either.

On 4/24/2016 at 6:30 PM, Ronnie76 said:

oh wait...

Too bad we really can't do anything about monopolies, the governemnt is given too much money by TWC, Comcast and others 

I mean currently there's no better way to do it, human nature pretty much assures that it's the only sustainable economic model. Even communist countries like China move more and more toward a free market because the alternative is that everyone is dirt poor and there's no incentive to work harder, or do harder jobs since everyone gets the same thing anyway.

It has to be regulated though, we aren't tough enough on corporations as it is, we allow them to trample consumers under their feet. The problem isn't that competition doesn't exist, it's that it selectively exists only in some areas. Where I live the only option for an ISP is AT&T on DSL at 6Mbps (just got upgraded on their side from 3Mbps last week). I live three miles from the County seat and courthouse on a state highway. Within city limits there are Comcast and AT&T, both of which offer speeds over 100Mbps. So a US highway runs 8 miles between my city and the closest one to it, all up and in the areas around it, Comcast has 25Mbps, and the population density out there is far less than where I live, and this is all because Comcast and AT&T have decided to divide up the market that way so there are places they don't compete so they can deliver whatever they want and you have to pay for it. It's ridiculous.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

Fully Capitalist country does not work, and fully communist countries does not work. people that think any of them is the best, are idiots. the best thing is something in between.

I am talking about what works for the general people and not companies or rich people, for those two categories, capitalism is best.

No data caps is the future, and the places that still have it (not counting on phones) is really behind most if not all of Europe and other countries.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 4/24/2016 at 4:30 PM, Ronnie76 said:

oh wait...

Yet, it's actually the best economic system created. Look at all the other ones. They fail. You get TONS of benefits from it such as your computing device being affordable.

On 4/24/2016 at 4:38 PM, UnbrokenMotion said:

Well, the U.S is technically a republic. (DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES! WE'RE NOT A TRUE LAND OF FREEDOM)

Very true. USA is a Republic. A Democracy is mob rule (majority vote). This Republic can have a minority keep a bill from passing, even have different branches reject a law.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:06 PM, Ryoutarou97 said:

I distinctly remember being taught that "A corporation's only goal is to make money for its investors" (about American Industrialisation). It's the one thing that really stuck with me from U.S. History.

Think about it this way. An investor is trying to make money. An investor is an owner. You don't please your owner you lose your job. You please your investor by making money. How do you make money? By selling your product or service. How do you sell a product or service? By supplying a product or service that people want. In turn, a corporation does care about their customers because they give them money which in turn makes the investor happy.

On 4/26/2016 at 10:10 AM, Sharkyx1 said:

What's the problem with this statement?

I think this whole election is a big list of losers, last time we got a decent republican was McCain, he shot himself in the foot by teaming up with Palin . 

I have no idea who id rather be president 

McCain was and is a Warmonger. Wouldn't have been good.

Mitt Romney was a fine candidate but he didn't press hard enough against Obama AND people though he was to moderate. Not saying he was perfect or my favorite.

Clinton, Sanders, and Trump are all awful. There were a few good candidates but they all dropped out. I can't believe how many idiots are out there who voted for Trump. He doesn't know what he's talking about in multiple occasions.

I wish Comcast was in my area, I would be willing to pay more money to switch to Comcast. I'll even eat all of the ETF costs and go buy a new modem just to switch to Comcast.

-KuJoe

14 hours ago, TheCMan said:

Think about it this way. An investor is trying to make money. An investor is an owner. You don't please your owner you lose your job. You please your investor by making money. How do you make money? By selling your product or service. How do you sell a product or service? By supplying a product or service that people want. In turn, a corporation does care about their customers because they give them money which in turn makes the investor happy.

Pleasing customers is done for the reason you said so, but only if that's more profitable. If you make shoddy pencils and sell them at $1 you won't make much because of better bic pencils Because of this it is more profitable to make good ones. If making good pencils is expensive and there's pretty much nobody else making any there's not much incentive to make good ones. A corporation does not inherently care about their customers because it won't always be more profitable. There's very little competition for ISPs so they don't have to please the customer because they're the only ones who can provide internet. They just have to stay above the line of "it's better to get Comcast than hook up my own." In a more competitive industry, phones for example, if you don't make a good one then the consumer will go over and buy a G5 or S7. For ISPs the consumer's alternative is often setting up their own higher latency internet connection. What are they going to do? Boycott? That means having no internet connection.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

On 4/27/2016 at 0:04 PM, 420istoday said:

-snip-

You miss the part where corporations only exist as they do due to government fiat. And any regulation is being put forth by the same groups that enables them, protects them, and happily takes their money and lobbying thereby putting their whims into power. The only regulation necessary and warranted is that of the market and respect for people and property rights, ALL issues resolve themselves quite easily once that is the rule of the actors.

The important bit here starts pretty early, around 4 minutes in. Private property rights used to be the rule of the day. The government enabled the cycle of corporate malevolence.