30-40% GPU usage on 980Ti?! 30-40FPS on 1080P?

kenjigreat

That's what I'm getting

16GB RAM

Intel i7-6700K

Nvidia Geforce 980Ti

Asrock Mini-ITX MOBO

600W PSU

Running the latest drivers. Also tried 362.00 drivers.

Any fixes?

what game?

what are the clockspeeds on your GPU during the game?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

what game?

Star Citizen. Why else would I post here.

Just now, kenjigreat said:

Star Citizen. Why else would I post here.

isn't that game in like beta or something?

enjoy the cinematic experience (:

have you tried tweaking the settings?

write a support ticket, nothing much we can help with

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, manikyath said:

what game, what settings, what temperatures?

1080P MEDIUM, Star Citizen, I'm not throttling, running GPU at 50-60ish and CPU at 60 degrees

2 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

1080P MEDIUM, Star Citizen, I'm not throttling, running GPU at 50-60ish and CPU at 60 degrees

what's the cpu load like? (per core)

5 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

That's what I'm getting

16GB RAM

Intel i7-6700K

Nvidia Geforce 980Ti

Asrock Mini-ITX MOBO

600W PSU

Running the latest drivers. Also tried 362.00 drivers.

Any fixes?

Its is beta yes? you'll find that its a common problem with the game. they have released a fix for it according to what I read a while back. Go to their forums and hunt for a link.

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

what's the cpu load like? (per core)

50-60%

Just now, kenjigreat said:

50-60%

on all cores? or half of the cores at 100%?

on all cores? or half of the cores at 100%?

No cores are at 100 during gameplay but some sit at 80-90

9 minutes ago, kenjigreat said:

No cores are at 100 during gameplay but some sit at 80-90

yea probably slight cpu bottleneck

but that game isnt that optimized yet anyway

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

yea probably slight cpu bottleneck

but that game isnt that optimized yet anyway

Wait are you telling me no one is running the game at 60FPS at 1080P with an i7-6700K>

What do you need a xeon?

1 minute ago, kenjigreat said:

Wait are you telling me no one is running the game at 60FPS at 1080P with an i7-6700K>

What do you need a xeon?

you need a more optimized game

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

you need a more optimized game

The weird thing is I managed to log in ONE time and get a solid 60FPS and above and my GPU was utilitsed but the moment I logged out and tried again. Back to 30% usage. -_-

You got lucky to get such a high FPS ;)

Are you getting these numbers while in the Universe or in Arena Commander? 

Star Citizen is still very much in development at the moment and optimalization is not going through the minds of the devs yet. 

Lots of aspects of the game are bound by server performance (real persistence isn't there yet), thus it runs depending of the players in an instance. 

As of patch Alpha 2.3 (and now 2.3.1) the rubberbanding and desync in Arena Commander got way worse, so we're waiting for a patch on that. 

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Just now, Wauthar said:

You got lucky to get such a high FPS ;)

Are you getting these numbers while in the Universe or in Arena Commander? 

Star Citizen is still very much in development at the moment and optimalization is not going through the minds of the devs yet. 

Lots of aspects of the game are bound by server performance (real persistence isn't there yet), thus it runs depending of the players in an instance. 

As of patch Alpha 2.3 (and now 2.3.1) the rubberbanding and desync in Arena Commander got way worse, so we're waiting for a patch on that. 

In the Port when you fly out into the Universe. In other areas such as Hangar I get really good utilization. I haven't tried arena yet.

1 minute ago, kenjigreat said:

In the Port when you fly out into the Universe. In other areas such as Hangar I get really good utilization. I haven't tried arena yet.

Yeah, in the Crusader map it gets kinda bad when you're around players and maybe objects. Try flying out into space and see what happens. 

Please mind that CPU and GPU utilisation won't get much better, but FPS might rise a little. 

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Star citizen is barely in alpha, the performance you are getting is most likely server side, they have a lot to optimize because the verse is so big and such. So you get low utilization because, again, its too early on for them to worry about performance that much, although they try and make it at least playable.

The PU side of things is bottlenecked server side atm, it's a known issue. Results in really high cpu usage on a single core on the user end, and really low gpu usage. It'll improve as the game moves forward. You'll find performance better at non-peak times, or there's a way to play offline/solo using cheatengine, there's a guide for it somewhere on reddit.

Welp, more people reply without bothering to check the subforum it is in. Not too surprised anymore.

As many have said it, the game may look amazing, but its alpha state is a great indicator that it is not fully optimized, nor will it be for some time. More parts of the game get implemented, more changes to the overall system and more models and animations are added as the game progresses. Optimizing usually follows after a game is in a stable and more complete state. It is too soon for that, in regards to Star Citizen. Ironically, you will get around the same fps at higher resolution, all things considered.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

• 1 month later...

Or try adding 2 or 3 more 980Tis. That should help a little. Or maybe not.. Not sure if there's any support for SLI in SC....

;D

6 hours ago, Maciek said:

Or try adding 2 or 3 more 980Tis. That should help a little. Or maybe not.. Not sure if there's any support for SLI in SC....

;D

None

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

• 3 weeks later...

As a couple of others have already posted: the low frame rate you're experiencing isn't client side, it's server side.  It's why on lightly loaded instances (only a few players), you'll get a better frame rate than on full servers (24 players).  I don't know the square km or square miles of the Crusader section of the universe, but it's fairly large.  And something can be going on in any spot in that universe.  If I'm in Port Olisar trying to spawn a new ship, and you're flying around in a battle at Kareah, both of our clients are being told about all of that.

It's insanely unoptimized.  Each of the 24 clients doesn't need to know what the other 23 clients are up to during every update.  CIG needs to come up with a way to implement an "Area of Interest" for each client and only tell that client about the stuff happening in that area.  But that leads to more de-synchronization, so it needs to be done carefully.

This is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast.  Lots and lots of threads about it on CIG's Star Citizen website.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

• 1 month later...

Anything changed by now? Dont want install it just to see this crappy performing never ending alpha. I hope this will not become the next DN4E.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO