Kingston Hyperx Savage 480Gb - any reason I should avoid it?

Sauron
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i wouldnt purchase any kingston ssds, even if theyre not v300

well i wouldnt go that far, but the v300 issue really is a let down

i would just buy samsung 850 evo, or an intel ssd, coz reliability

Hello fine folks,

I was considering the purchase of a 500ish Gb ssd and the kingston hyperx savage is significantly cheaper to me than a samsung 850 evo. Since the V300 series ssds weren't exactly great, I was wondering if the savage lineup shares any of the same issues, or if there is any other reason to stay away from them.

Thanks

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're not depending on fast transfers, like if you're just a gamer, any SSD will really do.

People talked bad about the cheapo walmart PNY I bought but it works for me just fine. Transfer speeds are great and load times are even better.

The only thing you should look out for is the possibility of failure. If performance isn't the BEST, it's fine for most people. But failure is no good for anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

its pretty fast but why not go with the adata sp550? its way cheaper and fast too.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Its seems okey http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kingston-hyperx-savage-240gb-ssd,4134.html

The Savage delivers class-leading sequential read and write performance. In both categories, this is the fastest SATA-attached device on the market. Of course, most of us move large files on a fairly regular basis, but those sequential transfers typically go to secondary drives; I'm not sure that many enthusiasts are purchasing new premium-priced SSDs for this task.  

At its weakest point, the HyperX Savage 240GB is unacceptable. Mixed random performance using 80% reads at 20,000 IOPS is the worst we've seen from a modern SSD.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well i wouldnt go that far, but the v300 issue really is a let down

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The HyperX line SSD's from Kingston are pretty good.

Dont you get an external bracket thing with that SSD too?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yeah, this

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

its pretty fast but why not go with the adata sp550? its way cheaper and fast too.

Not from my perspective, I get these at a strong discount and the adata is simply not on the list.

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I guess I'll cough up the extra 20 bucks then, thanks for the input

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As long as you don't mind the possibility of it failing prematurely (so saving things like games and random dump files) then it's fine, it's not however recommended for storing important files. 

TL;DR (although it's not long) reliability issues 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

As long as you don't mind the possibility of it failing prematurely (so saving things like games and random dump files) then it's fine, it's not however recommended for storing important files. 

TL;DR (although it's not long) reliability issues 

but you have to mention that even the worst ssd's are way more reliable than most hdd (except server stuff)

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, ChrisCross said:

but you have to mention that even the worst ssd's are way more reliable than most hdd (except server stuff)

Emmmm...if it's in a stationary home PC that never moves, it really depends on the SSD such how full the SSDs, is it a MLC or TLC SSD ect. Although with all electronics each individual mileage would vary but I still have a sata revision one (gotta call it by it's actual name before people the computer nazi's from 2007 starts to slaughter you for calling sata 1/i and 2/ii instead of sata 150/1.5gbps and sata 300/3gbps...those days..)  drive from 2004 that's still rocking solid in my second ever use computer which is currently being used as a random dump file server (with a few"new"sata 3 drives) for my own usage (just has a bunch of random files such as the code for my AHK spammer...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Emmmm...if it's in a stationary home PC that never moves, it really depends on the SSD such how full the SSDs, is it a MLC or TLC SSD ect. Although with all electronics each individual mileage would vary but I still have a sata revision one (gotta call it by it's actual name before people the computer nazi's from 2007 starts to slaughter you for calling sata 1/i and 2/ii instead of sata 150/1.5gbps and sata 300/3gbps...those days..)  drive from 2004 that's still rocking solid in my second ever use computer which is currently being used as a random dump file server (with a few"new"sata 3 drives) for my own usage (just has a bunch of random files such as the code for my AHK spammer...)

i bought an original sandisk ssd back in the day when 60gb of ssd where still 100€ and the hardrive i bought with it died a year ago. and i didnt move my desktop like at all

The OCZ Trion 150 is amazing for me so far and is also one of the cheapest SSD's on the market and I've benchmarked it vs my friends 850 EVO and the speeds are almost identical if not higher is some situations.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's