Rumor: Microsoft leaks Snapdragon 830 processor

GoodBytes

Microsoft leaks new Qualcomm coming up mobile CPU: The Snapdragon 830.

qualcomm.jpg

The leaks comes from a document which mentioned supported CPU for Windows 10 Mobile, where it listed the yet to be announced: MSM8998 chip, or the what is believed to be the Snapdragon 830.

snapdragon-830.png

(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn915086%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396)

According to rumors, the chip is includes LTE support (of course), and will be built on Samsung’s new 10 nm process, meaning that the chip will have lower power consumption and better performance, and support up to 8 GB of RAM. We know nothing else in terms of performance.

Source: http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-leaks-support-qualcomms-unannounced-snapdragon-830-processor/

Are you interested in such CPU, or you thing the Snapdragon 820 is plenty performance for many years?

yet announced

Should be "yet to be announced" or "unannounced"

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'm guessing this either will be out in Q4 like the S4 Pro and 800 were or next year.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

how do we know this won't be a minor variant like the 801/5? it could be an 825 for all we know. 

tbh most of this is pure either BS (mods) or speculation - two things that don't benefit the mobile community in any way. the MS leak probably certifies the existance of a new CPU, but to be honest who didn't expect a new one in time for the end of the year

idk

No it will not be 10nm. The first 10nm product will come from Intel in Q4 2017, at best. 

16 minutes ago, tsk said:

No it will not be 10nm. The first 10nm product will come from Intel in Q4 2017, at best. 

How do you know?

Both Samsung and TSMC are planning to have 10nm FinFet ready for 2016. TSMC is already doing "risk trials" or whatever it's called, which is the final stage of testing, where they get yields up to Mass Production acceptable numbers.

Saumsung is already producing 10nm DDR4 memory (Although Memory is a lot easier to manufacture at that node then SoC's are).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't think Qualcomm making another high end SoC comes as a shock to anyone. It will be interesting to see what changes they make though.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Saumsung is already producing 10nm DDR4 memory (Although Memory is a lot easier to manufacture at that node then SoC's are).

I am pretty sure Samsung makes "10nm class" DDR4, which is not 10nm. It just means it is below 20nm.

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How do you know?

Both Samsung and TSMC are planning to have 10nm FinFet ready for 2016. TSMC is already doing "risk trials" or whatever it's called, which is the final stage of testing, where they get yields up to Mass Production acceptable numbers.

Because neither Samsung or TSMC have fabs to mass produce 10nm, not even Intel does at this  moment. TSMC is well know for hyping up their manufacturing process, but look how delayed their 16nm was, the first product to hit market was the apple A9 6 months ago. 10nm is not gonna happen in 2016.

37 minutes ago, tsk said:

Because neither Samsung or TSMC have fabs to mass produce 10nm, not even Intel does at this  moment. TSMC is well know for hyping up their manufacturing process, but look how delayed their 16nm was, the first product to hit market was the apple A9 6 months ago. 10nm is not gonna happen in 2016.

You're drawing speculation based on their previous experience.

This is valid speculation, but you're stating it as a fact, when you have no proof or source to confirm it. We don't know when 10nm will be ready for action, but so far, it seems, both Samsung and TSMC are working on getting it available for end of 2016. Do we take this at face value, or as an absolute truth? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean it's wrong either.

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think Qualcomm making another high end SoC comes as a shock to anyone. It will be interesting to see what changes they make though.

I am pretty sure Samsung makes "10nm class" DDR4, which is not 10nm. It just means it is below 20nm.

You're correct on that part - they're using "PR Marketing speak" for their memory - I'd guess 16nm in actuality?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, tsk said:

there are rumors that samsung is actually ahead of intel in getting to 10nm and the snapdragon 830 will probably be a 2017 product or close to

my question is how much faster do we need phone cpus to be??? i got the lumia 950xl which has the 810 in it and the thing is already blazing fast... hell my old lumia 925 was fast enough to handle everything...

but i guess manufactures wont just stop making new stuff that is kinda the point to keep pushing the bounds of the hardware world and processing speed... cuase one day we will need all this processing power but today is not that day....

9 minutes ago, kainobean said:

my question is how much faster do we need phone cpus to be??? i got the lumia 950xl which has the 810 in it and the thing is already blazing fast... hell my old lumia 925 was fast enough to handle everything...

but i guess manufactures wont just stop making new stuff that is kinda the point to keep pushing the bounds of the hardware world and processing speed... cuase one day we will need all this processing power but today is not that day....

I think the Game to play is to get to better power effiency, and have longer lasting batteries. IMO it still befuddles me why 1440p phone screen even exist... Gues its just the bigger numbers means a better phone sales crap.

- snip-

Maybe it's a cooler running version of the 820 that doesn't throttle as quickly. 

Hah! Y'all flagship device is gonna be outdated soon xD , Just like anything else sadly  :( , They release new things too fast

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, kainobean said:

There's a paradox involved with that. 

As soon as that power is available for consumers there's other bigger and better things already been made. Not only that but our power requirements change. So IMO we're still not satisfied

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

Who needs 8 GB of RAM in a fucking smartphone, or a tablet for that matter? Seriously?

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

Who needs 8 GB of RAM in a fucking smartphone, or a tablet for that matter? Seriously?

You need it because developers aren't able to make the best use of their resources....... *cough* Google, Samsung, Facebook, every other mainstream app *cough*

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

More RAM, and faster processor (and more power efficient), allows OSs to run more things on the back, similarly to your desktop computer.

Right now, it is a game of putting apps under suspention, and have app uses or register as service to manage stuff like downloads, Speech (for turn by turn navigation) and playing music, and such. A bit of a mess, and restrict things.

Although, I agree 8GB of RAM is a bit useless, especially if you don't do photo editing or movie making on a tablet or phone with large content (I am also considering the future, where phones have a Microsoft Continuum like features, where you can plug your phone to a dock, and you have a PC of sorts)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're drawing speculation based on their previous experience.

This is valid speculation, but you're stating it as a fact, when you have no proof or source to confirm it. We don't know when 10nm will be ready for action, but so far, it seems, both Samsung and TSMC are working on getting it available for end of 2016. Do we take this at face value, or as an absolute truth? No, of course not. But that doesn't mean it's wrong either.

You shouldn't be so quick to swallow XXnm announcements from semiconductor fabs. 

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1329217

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

"Up to 128MB of RAM."

Who needs 128MB of RAM in a fucking laptop, or a desktop for that matter? Seriously?

-You 25 years ago.

If history has taught us anything, it's that the memory and processing power needs are only going up, up and up. Saying that "we don't need X and Y" is very short sighted.

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

On the other hand, history has also taught us that great software can be complemented with greatly lower requirements of raw power, that will significantly slowdown the speed at which we need to replace our equipment. Im refering to examples as IOS, Linux Lite and some operating systems, that even with low amounts of ram, simply fly ahead of operating systems that need gozillions of it.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

I find 3GB RAM on my Droid Turbo to not be enough sometimes, due to how poorly Android manages RAM. I dunno if I'm ready for a smart device with half as much RAM as my desktop and laptop, though.

I wonder what will be the first smartphone with it. Though 8GB smartphone, I imagine you can pretty much have W10 x86 on smartphone and docking option on PC to. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Up to 8 GB of RAM.

progress, don't like it? get a fliphone

Who needs 256MB of ram when all you need to do is make phone calls and send texts with the occasional snake 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>