Sound Cards: Do We Need Them

teddy710

Kinda obvious what this is about lol... But what are sound cards? What's their purpose? Do they do the job any other major component can do? And what're good brands or trusty brands? And finally why would I, or anyone, need one? Thanks!

Well without them we wouldn't have any audio from our computers.  But I guess you mean non-integrated sound cards, such as internal PCIe or external USB cards.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

There's not really much of a purpose to them as most motherboards have pretty good onboard sound.

I'd look into an external DAC.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I find in racing video games the noise of 30+ cars screeching around a corner can cause my on-board audio to lag quite badly. Thats why I originally bought a sound card, but after listening to my favorite music with my expensive headphones I will say there is a huge increase in sound quality, at least over my asus sabertooth onboard audio.

Pretty sure the best possible answer to this question is it depends. There are a lot of reasons you might want a sound card, or an external DAC and or Amplifier. Just depends on what problem or use case you're trying to solve. If it's to get better sound quality then the answer is probably no.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

If you want better than onboard audio, the way to go is an external DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). It will remove some of the interference present inside the case caused by other components. Often they also have much better components.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

well, im using bluetooth for my audio, so i dont need one at all :P

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

everyone that didnt buy a soundcard is gonna say on board is good enough.... well they are simply wrong... try to buy a real soundcard and then speak... the difference its like night and day....

2 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

everyone that didnt buy a soundcard is gonna say on board is good enough.... well they are simply wrong... try to buy a real soundcard and then speak... the difference its like night and day....

Anyone who blindly says a "real soundcard" is night and day difference probably doesn't know what they're talking about. There are too many variables in a good audio system to know if that's true or not.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Well, if you are running a professional recording studio, you surely won't be using an integrared sound card.

Also, if your int. sound card dies, or you buy a server such as an HP Proliant, you would need a sound card in order to hear something from your speaker.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

6 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

What soundcard would you suggest? 

13 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

But what are sound cards? What's their purpose? Do they do the job any other major component can do? And what're good brands or trusty brands? And finally why would I, or anyone, need one?

sound card is a card to process sound, like graphics card is for processing graphics `-`

their job is to convert digital signal to analogue signal and vice versa (ADC, DAC)

and they sometimes amplify the signal too (AMP)

your processor cant process sound on its own though, so a sound card is a must have in every pc in order to have sound output

though most motherboards comes built in with sound card, some onboard soundcard are bad, thats why people stick to pcie sound card or even external sound cards

you'll need one if

1) you're driving high impedance headphone and your onboard sound card cant drive it

2) your onboard sound card is crap

3) EMI (electromagnetic inteference)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

My post answers all of your questions just read it.

6 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

No there is not. Most motherboards today have transparent sound and guess what if the sound is transparent a dac and amp will not do anything unless they aren't transparent.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Sure, whatever. This is one of those dead horse, beaten, topics, so I'm not going to invest too much in stating the obvious here.

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

sound card is a card to process sound, like graphics card is for processing graphics `-`

their job is to convert digital signal to analogue signal and vice versa (ADC, DAC)

your processor cant process sound on its own though, so a sound card is a must have in every pc in order to have sound output

though most motherboards comes built in with sound card, some onboard soundcard are bad, thats why people stick to pcie sound card or even external sound cards

you'll need one if

1) you're driving high impedance headphone and your onboard sound card cant drive it

If I don't get one initially and I realize that I have a bad onboard sound card, I would assume it wouldn't bee hard to get an actual one?

Just now, teddy710 said:

If I don't get one initially and I realize that I have a bad onboard sound card, I would assume it wouldn't bee hard to get an actual one?

you can add one anytime

assuming you have a spot for it

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

you'll need one if

They all amplify. Otherwise you would hear no sound.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

They all amplify. Otherwise you would hear no sound.

not if the DAC outputs sufficient voltage and current `-`

im not sure how they work exactly but yea

thats just a rough idea lol

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

not if the DAC outputs sufficient voltage and current `-`

im not sure how they work exactly but yea

thats just a rough idea lol

They dont...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

They dont...

k then `-`

after they convert the signals, they amplify it *

This topic could just have been a short liitle question for me under my before you buy amp and dac instead of this.

Just now, Moonzy said:

k then `-`

after they convert the signals, they amplify it *

If we talk onboard then the onboard amp amplifies it.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

If we talk onboard then the onboard amp amplifies it.

though its weird they have to amplify it

why not just allow the DAC to output at the voltages that they're supposed to be and not deal with amp's signal degredation and what not

since we're dealing with mV anyway

lower voltage = tougher to control due to lesser resolution = less clarity

or what i learnt in class is false `-`

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

though its weird they have to amplify it

why not just allow the DAC to output at the voltages that they're supposed to be and not deal with amp's signal degredation and what not

since we're dealing with mV anyway

lower voltage = tougher to control due to lesser resolution = less clarity

or what i learnt in class is false `-`

A dac does not have what it takes in it to out put the signal with the voltage it need to and there is things that is called combos like a external dac and amp in one single box and soundcards. Maybe take the dac as the gpu and think of a amp as the cable that runs to your screen and your headphones as your screen with out the cable you can do anything with your screen.