Samsung 850Evo or Samsung SSD 950 Pro

Go to solution Solved by Redjo,

Thank you all, going to pick 850EVO 500GB probably! 

Best of luck!

-Redjo 

Hello guys what should i choose and what will be the best in my case scenario?

Option N1: Samsung 850EVO 500GB/250GB ----> • Read: 540MB   • Write: 520MB/  ---> 85€ 250GB / 145€ 500GB 

Option N2: Samsung SSD 950Pro 256GB       ----> • Read: 2200MB • Write: 900MB  ----> 185€

I want something real fast, but not sure if its worth the cost. 

For example i want to achieve boot speed of Windows 10 or 8.1 for like 3/4/5 seconds etc. etc. 

And at all i will be using the SSD for everyday usage..... If you choose 'X' thing explain why please.

Best of luck!

-Redjo 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

You need to use PCIE or M.2 to see the performance boos on the 950t. Sata 6gb won't be any faster.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

what is ur motherboard?

x99A SLI 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

then the 950 is worth it, as you can actually utilise the additional speed. Are you running SLI?

I dont have the system yet, just the case and cpu cooler. 

Here is what it will look like: 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-5820k    
CPU Cooler: Kraken X61
Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus 
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V red DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200
GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid
Case: NZXT H440
SSD: Have to choose.
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm 64MB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GQ 850W

Project Redline: 

12 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Option N1: Samsung 850EVO 500GB/250GB ----> • Read: 540MB   • Write: 520MB/  ---> 85€ 250GB / 145€ 500GB 

Option N2: Samsung SSD 950Pro 256GB       ----> • Read: 2200MB • Write: 900MB  ----> 185€

For example i want to achieve boot speed of Windows 10 or 8.1 for like 3/4/5 seconds etc. etc. 

And at all i will be using the SSD for everyday usage..... If you choose 'X' thing explain why please.

Best of luck!

-Redjo 

it's not worth it unless you're editing video or something like that, for just fast boot times get an 850 evo :)

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

it's not worth it unless you're editing video or something like that, for just fast boot times get an 850 evo :)

I will start editing for Youtube channel.

Project Redline: 

5 minutes ago, Redjo said:

I dont have the system yet, just the case and cpu cooler. 

Here is what it will look like: 

Hide contents

CPU: Intel i7-5820k    
CPU Cooler: Kraken X61
Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus 
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V red DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200
GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid
Case: NZXT H440
SSD: Have to choose.
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm 64MB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GQ 850W

I have used both ssd's and the 950 pro is really fast, it almost feels like the step from a hdd to a ssd. software installs just fly past.

something to keep in mind is that the bios from the x99a sli plus is quite slow, so i'm not sure if you will achieve the 5second boot time

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

for an average user, the 850 Evo is more than enough

unless you're accessing the drives often for things, its not worth the extra cost for slightly better speed

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, simson0606 said:

I have used both ssd's and the 950 pro is really fast, it almost feels like the step from a hdd to a ssd. software installs just fly past.

Hmm well ya it should be like it, just look at those speeds: 

• Read: 540MB   • Write: 520MB

• Read: 2200MB • Write: 900MB 

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

i'd say get the 850 evo 500 GB then :)

By the way do you think 250GB is not enough for me? 

• I plan storage some games on it [Depends what games they are] not all games on SSD. Windows on it and thats it...... I am not sure how SSD works for Editing, does it make it faster? 

For example does it decrease render time? 

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for an average user, the 850 Evo is more than enough

unless you're accessing the drives often for things, its not worth the extra cost for slightly better speed

What exactly you mean by accessing drives? 

Project Redline: 

3 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Hmm well ya it should be like it, just look at those speeds: 

• Read: 540MB   • Write: 520MB

• Read: 2200MB • Write: 900MB 

• I plan storage some games on it [Depends what games they are] not all games on SSD. Windows on it and thats it...... I am not sure how SSD works for Editing, does it make it faster? 

For example does it decrease render time? 

SSD helps alot when editing :)

and i have a 250gb SSD and it fills up quick, i've already used half of it and i almost never edit video.

not to mention i have all my games on my HDD

1 minute ago, Redjo said:

like video editors that keep taking video footages from the drives onto the ram, it helps saving some time

but if you're just an average user who just use it to save OS and some games, dont bother lol

2 minutes ago, Redjo said:

yes, for OS, software and 2 or 3 of your favorite games.

16 minutes ago, mikat said:

SSD helps alot when editing :)

and i have a 250gb SSD and it fills up quick, i've already used half of it and i almost never edit video.

not to mention i have all my games on my HDD

How much GB windows takes and what other stuff do you have on it so its filled half without games, can you list detailed if possible. 

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

like video editors that keep taking video footages from the drives onto the ram, it helps saving some time

but if you're just an average user who just use it to save OS and some games, dont bother lol

yes, for OS, software and 2 or 3 of your favorite games.

Well i mainly will put in OS [Dunno how much GB it will take] and maybe 1/2 games with some software. 

Like i never edit in my life, but i will give it a try. I am not familiar with the stuff, but hope i will learn quick. Btw what you mean from the drives into the ram ? [Sorry if asking dumb questions]

Project Redline: 

40 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Best of luck!

-Redjo 

I was in the same situation 1 week ago.

I bought a EVO 1tb. I'll explain you why.

Evo: Windows open at 4s, 1TB

950: Windows open at 3s, 512GB

You only will see benefit if you transfer big files all the time.

I'm happy with my EVO because I have 1TB and a lot of games installed.

Besides, a 950 Pro 1TB will be released this year, so, buy an EVO, then sell it and then you can buy a 950 1TB.

For daily use and gaming you won't see any benefit at all. I promess you that.

10 minutes ago, Redjo said:

what you mean from the drives into the ram ? [Sorry if asking dumb questions]

no problem, everyone starts learning at some point

when you edit a video, your computer normally takes the video from the hard disk and put the video in RAM for faster access, because ram is faster than hard disk

so if your hard disk is faster, it will transfer the videos to the RAM fast, thus taking less time in your video editing work flow

but it doesnt really matter to an average consumer unless you are willing to spend extra just for that few seconds of time that you're going to save lol

for professionals, few seconds is very expensive :P

Thank you all, going to pick 850EVO 500GB probably! 

Best of luck!

-Redjo 

Project Redline: