A new look for Google Play family of apps

Techicolors

AQcjLqn.png

Whether you like watching Despicable Me on Google Play Movies & TV, streaming “Sorry” on Play Music, battling your friend in Clash Royale on Play Games or reading John Grisham’s latest on Play Books, Google Play is your home for the best apps, games and digital entertainment. Since launching Google Play four years ago, we've always had dedicated apps in addition to the Google Play store. Today, all our icons are getting an update to provide a consistent look across the entire family of Play apps.

You’ll start to see the new Google Play icons across devices and online in the coming weeks. We hope you’ll continue enjoying the Play family of products—now with a new look.

although it's only a change of icons, it's still pretty good that Google is using Doritos as their unifying design. 

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-new-look-for-google-play-family-of-apps.html

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

although it's only a change of icons, it's still pretty good that Google is using Doritos as their unifying design. 

I chuckled way too hard in my head at that one.

Well honestly I can't say I like the icons I think the colors are way too bright but hey that just me.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

12 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Custom icon pack master race

/\ #android gives freedom

I fully expect the Doritos corporation to partner with matching flavor of Doritos. I want a rainbow Dorito, damn it!!!

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I fully expect the Doritos corporation to partner with matching flavor of Doritos. I want a rainbow Dorito, damn it!!!

photo.jpg

beautiful. Now, a play store redesign please.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

I thought they were going the iOS minimalist route not the snack food direction? o.O 

I think it's a downgrade in design. Plus the colors are too similar so the logo and doritos blend too much together.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

i think its cool that they are going with a unified design 

NUMIX icon pack every day of the year

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Wow such a diverse selection of icons. All I see is copy paste here. I am not impressed.

My 8 year old can come up with more imaginative designs. :| (truly she can)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Wow such a diverse selection of icons. All I see is copy paste here. I am not impressed.

My 8 year old can come up with more imaginative designs. :| (truly she can)

i think thats the point for the icons to be unimaginative and predictive

Good change in my opinion. It makes it really easy to see that they belong together (in my trash folder). Their current designs makes it impossible to tell that they all are in the same family.

play-icons.png?w=550&h=361

I hate them, that they all look like a "play" button.. ok I know its google play, but "books" are not "played" etc

not the greatest designs, shoving a triangle behind them does not make them "coherent design" just makes them illuminati 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I dont like it.

I remember when they changed google maps icon, it took me months to get used it LoL.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I dont think people want a bunch of aligned triangles on their screen. 

Typically you would have only one app handling a certain task. For example just Google Music as a music app. In that case you'd rather have a bold icon that represents its function. Obfuscation isn't a problem to begin with. 

I get it they want people to associate the apps to Google but that can be done in other ways. 

put a giant G instead of a triangle?

Oh lord. It's not that bad and it's about 'Play' branding more than anything else. They want to clearly mark their Play apps for what they are so they are recognizable. It is after all where they provide content. So that's also where they make money. They want you to find the place to deposit money quickly and easily.