"After Mass Shooting, Fox News Host Suggests Gamers Should Be Monitored"

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/after-mass-shooting-fox-news-host-wonders-if-gamers-sh-1335462866?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Talk show host Elisabeth Hasselbeck, speaking on Fox & Friends following the horrific shooting in Washington, D.C. yesterday, suggested that people who play video games should be monitored.

“What about frequency testing?" she asked. (Video above.) "How often has this game been played? I’m not one to get in there and monitor everything, but if this indeed is a strong link, right, to mass killings then why aren’t we looking at frequency of purchases per person? And also, how often they’re playing and how many—maybe they time out after a certain hour.”

By now it's a familiar story: when tragedy happens, the fingers get to pointing. But to suggest that there's a link between mass murder and video games, and that peoples' video game habits should be monitored? When all we have here is correlation? When actual researchers are divided on the subject of whether video games lead to aggression? And when there's no scientific research linking games to violence at all?

It's sometimes hard to believe these people really exist.

This is just ridiculous. Why on earth should gamers be monitored? What if the guy who did the shooting watched I dunno...let's say, The Office. Should the government monitor those who watch The Office? No. This kind of thinking is incredibly idiotic. The person who committed the shooting was not right in the head, and video games did not make him that way.

If anything, video games can relieve stress and any violent thoughts, because you're taking it out ON THE VIDEO GAME. 

What are your thoughts on this?

COMIC SANS

they're monitoring everything else we do so why not monitor our game as well at this point...

"I don't understand it, so it should be banned" same thing with everything.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

if anything, they need to censor who's buying games. 

If youre some 13 yr old kid with a rough home life, i DONT think you should be playing a game that depicts a kid, with a rough home life, killing everyone.

check the customer not the consumer

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

if anything, they need to censor who's buying games. 

If youre some 13 yr old kid with a rough home life, i DONT think you should be playing a game that depicts a kid, with a rough home life, killing everyone.

check the customer not the consumer

wouldn't it be a bit hard to ask everyone who's buying a game at the store, do  you have a rough life? before selling the game to them lol

wouldn't it be a bit hard to ask everyone who's buying a game at the store, do  you have a rough life? before selling the game to them lol

no but i'm saying that maybe you should be evaluated BEFORE youre allowed to buy mature games. kinda like a drivers license. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

WHAT LINK IS THERE... Also we should moniter the mentaly ill people and make sure guns doi not get into there hands.  normal people that play video games are not the problem.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

correlation without causation. and even then the correlation link is pretty weak.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

no but i'm saying that maybe you should be evaluated BEFORE youre allowed to buy mature games. kinda like a drivers license. 

yeah but getting a drivers license requires alot of time, and the amount of games sold now days is crazy so you can't really do that anymore... Trying to stop a couple of random shootings is like trying to predict where the next hurricane is going to hit lol good luck trying to do that

Dear Lord  :huh: The problem here is that people in the US actually listen to these morons. Outside of the US we all know that FOX is not something you actually listen to other than for comedy reasons :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Why don't they monitor the crazy people.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Oh please.....I have nothing at all to say to this...

complete BS

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

What about movie goers and readers who like to watch violent movies and read violent books?  Shouldn't they all be monitored too?

Remember when games were just a form of entertainment until some idiot politician decided to use it as a scapegoat???

Fox News and the politicians against videogames should be the ones monitored.  They all sound like lunatics over there.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Dear Lord  :huh: The problem here is that people in the US actually listen to these morons. Outside of the US we all know that FOX is not something you actually listen to other than for comedy reasons :D

That's interesting, since Fox News has a relatively significant following here in the States.

I'm not a fan personally, they're always quick to jump to conclusions without consulting actual science (which they also aren't fond of).

The main problem is that they need to get ratings, so they'll report stories that they can make sensational rather than those that require factual analysis

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well this topic is certainly fresh and interesting. What a bore it would be to beat on a dead horse again.

*face palm*

I wish them good luck with monitoring hmm, I dunno EVERYONE in the whole wide world.

Seriously, not only "violent" games should be monitored, but ALL of them?

Well...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Games shoud be banned! They make people go crazy! Fox News, Hilary Clinton and Jack Thompson FTW!

Learn to play Monopoly or Scrabble...

[Another shooting occured]

[Media blame Monopoly]

[Monopoly and Scrabble banned in US]

[Yet another shooting]

[Media thinking who to blame this time due to video games and board games already banned]

Because of sh*t like this is dont have a TV nor a radio or read newspaper. Soon after buying a game at gamestop or other place youd have to sign a paper that you will be added to "possible threat" list and if any mass shooting occur in your neighbourhood FBI is allowed to raid your home.

I feel sorry for you guys out there in US.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Games shoud be banned! They make people go crazy! Fox News, Hilary Clinton and Jack Thompson FTW!

Learn to play Monopoly or Scrabble...

[Another shooting occured]

[Media blame Monopoly]

[Monopoly and Scrabble banned in US]

[Yet another shooting]

[Media thinking who to blame this time due to video games and board games already banned]

They're going to blame Russia, and then a nuclear war will erupt.

The Government trained someone to kill, then he killed the wrong people... So naturally we should should blame video games? Seems legit.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

They're going to blame Russia, and then a nuclear war will erupt.

There good people, bad ones, that dont give a f*ck and those who wanna see the world burn. Im the last one. I would go get me a vodka and watch the fireworks and start to sing new version of "99 bottles of beer".

"99 countries on the world, 99 countries are.

Nuke one down and throw it around, 98 countries now on the world."

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

This is absolutely ridiculous. Some people really are just that stupid I guess.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|