All Volcanic island GPUs Except Hawaii Feature Refreshed HD 7000 Cores!

M-ursu
post-2255-0-07001000-1379423941_thumb.jp
AMD Volcanic Islands R-200 Family Final Codenames Revealed
Hawaii chip would feature a die 30% smaller than the NVIDIA’s behemoth GK110 core and would be based on the 28nm process. We are stacking up the information regarding AMD Volcanic Islands family bit by bit but the one that doesn’t made any sense till now is the new R-200 naming scheme.
HIS leaked the codenames on their web portal a few days ago and the page has been down since that leak but it didn’t stop people from acquitting more information.

Naming
Both Planet3DNow and VR-Zone managed to slip across information for an AMD board partner who seems to clear the confusion built up around the codenames. First we have to take out the Dual-GPU from the equation, its too early to speculate about such a product since AMD just introduced their Radeon HD 7990 this year. The Dual GPU may have a Tonga or Vesuvius codename but it isn’t going to happen this early. 
As for the other codenames, the previous rumor about all GPUs except Hawaii featuring a refreshed Southern Islands core seems to be true. This may be one of the reasons why we were looking at largely similar specs of the R9-280X GPU leaked by HIS compared to the Radeon HD 7970. The cores fused on the GPUs would be the same but would feature a new codename.
post-2255-0-10205700-1379424096.jpgpost-2255-0-21287400-1379424211.png
Hawaii GPU will feature 28nm core, 30% smaller die than GK110
Matt  Skynner (AMD’s  Vice President) have confirmed that Hawaii GPU would be atleast 30% smaller than the NVIDIA’s GK110 core. Hawaii will be based on a 28nm process and they will not be moving to a 20nm design process.
Matt says: "No reason was foretold but its easy to point out the cost of production that goes into acquiring 20nm wafers that is not yet feasible and the fact that 20nm volume production doesn’t begins until Q1 2014".
Hawaii GPU would have a die size measuring around 420-430mm2  while NVIDIA’s Titan and GTX 780′s GK110 core measures at 561mm2. This is after a long time that AMD would be featuring a gigantic chip on their video cards. It remains to be seen what kind of performance and efficiency would the new chip deliver since NVIDIA Kepler. Kepler as a whole has delivered amazing power efficiency while AMD focused on raw performance.
Price
New AMD Hawaii GPU based video card will not cost $999 like Titan, but would be priced a bit lower than their Radeon HD 7990 solution that currently costs $699 US Dollars. We can speculate a price point that is very close and possibly lower than the GeForce GTX 780′s $649 price. AMD Hawaii GPU will cost more than the Radeon HD 7970′s price of $549 at launch in January 2012.

AMD to live webcast volcanic Islands at  GPU’14 conference
A real-time video webcast of the showcase can be accessed on the Investor Relations home page: ir.amd.comA replay of the webcast can be accessed approximately one hour after the conclusion of the live event and will be available for 30 days after the event.

Source:

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cms/2690-amd-fuhrt-neues-namensschema-bei-grafikkarten-ein/

http://chinese.vr-zone.com/83636/confirm-amd-changing-radeon-naming-rule-r9-280x-is-tahiti-xtl-r7-250-r7-250-r7-260x-r9-270-r9-270x-09172013/

http://videocardz.com/45623/amd-hawaii-30-smaller-kepler-gk110

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd_hawaii_is_30_smaller_than_kepler_gk110.html

lol

i remember AMD fanboys used to say

LOOL nvidia is lazy

its just refreshes

first time ive seen AMD refresh

interesting

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i haven't been paying attention to news lately. someone tell me what cards are hawaii. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

"7950" and "7970"

so the highest 2 cards are hawaii? like the new ones which i have no idea what their name is. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

so the highest 2 cards are hawaii? like the new ones which i have no idea what their name is. 

yes, and basically 7970 is new 7870

This is not really news : http://wccftech.com/amd-volcanic-islands-family-hawaii-xt-hawaii-pro-possibly-based-current-gcn-architectures/

That's why I repeatedly said that I'd only recommend waiting for Volcanic Islands if you have $450 + to spend on graphics, otherwise just buy a 7970 or a 7950 now.

yes, and basically 7970 is new 7870

darn.... when will this come out exactly? my friend can get much better price/performance here. if prices will be reasonable here. Asus cards are like $100 more than let's say, zotac, gainward, HIS, powercolor and others.

This is not really news : http://wccftech.com/amd-volcanic-islands-family-hawaii-xt-hawaii-pro-possibly-based-current-gcn-architectures/

That's why I repeatedly said that I'd only recommend waiting for Volcanic Islands if you have $450 + to spend on graphics, otherwise just buy a 7970 or a 7950 now.

Well top tier cards are still worth waiting :) (least for me)

darn.... when will this come out exactly? my friend can get much better price/performance here. if prices will be reasonable here. Asus cards are like $100 more than let's say, zotac, gainward, HIS, powercolor and others.

It will be announched 25th day

... Huh. Well that is irritating. I am tired of this refresh business. 

Is that AMD/Nvidia's new goal? To only release two (for AMD) or one (for Nvidia) card(s) every generation and effectively refresh the rest? 

So eventually, it will be a different GPU architecture for every tier? And they just get bumped down a tier every generation? 

That is dumb. I hate the idea. Probably because it is new. Give it a year.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Somehow i find that funny that my post about CoolBeans gets more likes than my main topic, which i made for 30 minutes :)

Add CoolBeans to the main topic and the counter would explode!

Lol, i must try that :P

Update: this creeps me out, i must take CoolBeans out of there!

If the R280 has the HD 7950 GPU core, will it crossfire with a current 7950?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If the R280 has the HD 7950 GPU core, will it crossfire with a current 7950?

no, i am 99.9% sure that AMD wont allow to do that.

To be honest, I don't care if it's a refresh if it gives the same performance for cheaper :).

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

no, i am 99.9% sure that AMD wont allow to do that.

That is stupid. And I am sure it is true. And the only reason it would be that way is for profits, to force you to buy another 280 rather than just going with a 7950.

To be honest, I don't care if it's a refresh if it gives the same performance for cheaper :).

Explain how a 7970 is going to get cheaper than $300, and still come with games.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Oh man, I remember the time when everyone speculated on a 20nm chips which should offer balls through the walls performance for a low price. Now it's refreshed Southern Islands... I hope you know what you're doing AMD

144Hz goodness

Explain how a 7970 is going to get cheaper than $300, and still come with games.

Point taken, I will just see what happens :P.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Well, this cements my thoughts to prolong my computer build until nvidia releases maxwell.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF. Just make it 9xxx and a new core.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla