Edge gets extension support and Microsoft working on tools to allow most chrome extension to work with edge.

Master Disaster
On 3/19/2016 at 4:59 PM, jaggysnake57 said:

Give me Adblock and last pass and I'll give it a chance

Bluhell firewall for FF is the absolute best one. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Anyway, my point is that all web browsers have their downsides.

Some more than others, and bigger...

Firefox supports syncing as well by the way.

Edge is actually a way better 'browser' than chrome but there's one thing preventing me from using it!! Chrome is so unified with everything all bookmarks get saved I can use them and see them on phone and other Android devices like it's so essential to have google connectivity at all times for me and sadly edge can't do that.... Unless there's an extension for that which I'm hoping for and I'll drop chrome easily. 

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

On 3/22/2016 at 1:56 AM, Zaryab said:

Edge is actually a way better 'browser' than chrome but there's one thing preventing me from using it!! Chrome is so unified with everything all bookmarks get saved I can use them and see them on phone and other Android devices like it's so essential to have google connectivity at all times for me and sadly edge can't do that.... Unless there's an extension for that which I'm hoping for and I'll drop chrome easily. 

How is Edge a way better browser than Chrome?

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Use it then Chrome-you'll see.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 10:28 AM, LAwLz said:

So much faster. Supports 1080p netflix (720p chrome)... and DID I SAY ITS SO MUCH FASTER?!

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

On 3/19/2016 at 2:47 PM, Minibois said:

That's good, but really should have been something it had on day 1 (at least the extension support)

This will make Microsoft Edgy Edge a compelling browser for many people.

Only three extensions available so far. 

8 hours ago, Zaryab said:

So much faster. Supports 1080p netflix (720p chrome)... and DID I SAY ITS SO MUCH FASTER?!

Faster in what way, and how did you measure that?

As for the 1080p NetFlix support, sadly there does not seem to be anything Mozilla or Google can do about it. NetFlix is blocking 1080p playback from their side. I can't find any technical reason for why they couldn't just remove the block and let both Firefox and Chrome stream at 1080p.

From what I have heard, not even Edge/IE11 supports 1080 for titles owned by Fox though, because Fox just flat out don't want anything higher than 720p playing in a browser (works fine in the app).

But that does not change the situation for customers. If you want the best quality then you will have to use the app (since not even Edge supports 1080p Fox content, but the app does). If you are not okay with that then complain to NetFlix since they are the ones blocking it.

8 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

I would love to hear your list of problems with Edge. I haven’t seen an enumeration of that sort yet.

Here is the list of reasons why I think Firefox/Chrome are better browsers. The ones with strikethough are ones that have been fixed.

1) Support for widely used standards (like WebM).

2) Syncing things like addons/bookmarks/passwords to other platforms such as my phone and tablet.

3) Run on other platforms (like Android, iOS, GNU/Linux, Windows 8.1 or earlier)

4) Open source

5) Proper customization support (Chrome is lacking this too compared to Firefox)

6) Can "Save Link As..."

7) Can change the download location! Yes I am not kidding you. You can't change the location where files are downloaded in Edge. They will end up in the downloads folder.

8) A proper download manager (Not sure if I am doing something wrong but I can't even find a search function in it)

9) Not having a terrible settings menu (just a long list of stuff without any categories in Edge)

10) Can see passwords stored in the password manager.

11) Can change search engine. Not sure if I am doing something wrong but all the buttons related to changing it are grayed out for me.

12) Supports plugins (which are usually terrible, but sometimes needed)

13) Supports drag-and-drop to open files (just drag a file from your desktop into a new tab)

14) Can go back more than 1 page at a time (hold down left click and drag down in Firefox and Chrome and you get a list). This is really important for pages which redirects you (I have seen even Microsoft's websites do this). Since the previous page directs you to the page you are on right now, it is impossible to go back to the previous page unless you skip the redirect page, which is not possible in Edge.

15) Can highlight -> right click -> search

16) Has lots of good options when you right click on the program in the task bar (Edge doesn't even have the option to pin it, or open a new window)

17) Can have a bookmark toolbar.

18) Can easily close a bunch of tabs with the mouse. In Edge the tabs gets resized as soon as you press the X button, while in Chrome and Firefox they stay the same size until you move the mouse away. (I can post a video explaining if anyone doesn't understand).

19) Can search in your web history. Not sure if I am not looking in the right spot but I can't find this in Edge anywhere.

20) Can drag links into a new tab. In fact, you can actually drag links between Firefox and Chrome and they will work just fine and open in new tabs, and yet Edge can't even do this within itself.

Number 21 should be the horrible addon/extension situation but that is a really obvious one so I didn't write it down.

On 19/03/2016 at 8:47 PM, Minibois said:

That's good, but really should have been something it had on day 1 (at least the extension support)

This will make Microsoft Edgy Edge a compelling browser for many people.

Yeah, it's Tipping me over the edge. 

Call me shallow, but the aesthetic is so much nicer than chrome or ff, and with my 4mb line it hardly matters.

Now I just need to check if it finally has Google docs support. 

- snip-

21 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yeah, it's Tipping me over the edge. 

Call me shallow, but the aesthetic is so much nicer than chrome or ff, and with my 4mb line it hardly matters.

Now I just need to check if it finally has Google docs support. 

Well I have no doubts it will have (or has) Google Docs support, but what about the plugins for it? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Unless they can sync browser data to your microsoft account like chrome does with your google one, im not moving from my current browser.

22 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Unless they can sync browser data to your microsoft account like chrome does with your google one, im not moving from my current browser.

Assuming you have a Microsoft account tied to your system account, Edge sync your bookmarks between system and devices using the same account, same for your saved passwords, if I am not mistaken and reading list.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Assuming you have a Microsoft account tied to your system account, Edge sync your bookmarks between system and devices using the same account, same for your saved passwords, if I am not mistaken and reading list.

Thats good then, hopefully it will be the same for the extensions.

17 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

– I had such a hard time finding an add-on to rip YouTube videos in Chrome... 

Bruh. Use torch. 

- snip-

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Well I have no doubts it will have (or has) Google Docs support, but what about the plugins for it? 

Thats what I'm thinking. Spent the first couple days of W10 in edge, but 90% of my schoolwork was down on docs so it was a necessity at the time. Odds are supports been added since then, but I haven't checked. 

- snip-

On 3/19/2016 at 2:23 PM, Master Disaster said:

I just can't live with its RAM chewing, its not necessary to use that much for so little work.

I can! 16 GigaBytes BITCHES!!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

As soon as Edge gets these:

3B2aIbv.png

I'm switching over to Edge permanently.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube