Building a portable boombox, need box advice

iamdarkyoshi

I have some (probably like 6in) speakers from an older rear projection TV, a high end mitsubishi one. These speakers are pretty good actually, better than the ones in the back of my car.

Now, I can do all of the electronics no problem, but designing the box... I dunno what to do. As any logical non-audiophile would say for a project like this...

"I want good bass, along with the other frequencies and I want the box as small as possible while still maintaining good sound"

I do have some titanium tweeters I plan to use as well if the regular speakers cannot do high frequencies well, but obviously these tweeters don't need a box :P

So how would I go upon using some speakers with unknown properties? I know I can just plop them into any old box and they would sound okay, but I want something that sounds good.

Is there some way I use my digital oscilloscope or something with a microphone to try to measure some of the properties of these speakers? I have a professional RTA, but the calibrated mic for it is missing because someone stole it, pisses me off. Right off.

So where should I go with this? @Enderman @SSL

no, you need a special tool to measure the properties of a speaker, like this one:

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dats-dayton-audio-test-system.html

it aint cheap

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

no, you need a special tool to measure the properties of a speaker, like this one:

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dats-dayton-audio-test-system.html

it aint cheap

So whats my best bet without spending loads of cash? Build a box and test it? Where to start?

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So whats my best bet without spending loads of cash? Build a box and test it? Where to start?

I would use what you know about the speaker and find the average size box used for similar speakers

stuff like impedance, xmax, diameter, etc... which are easy to measure

for speakers that arent subwoofers you dont need to get the box measurements very accurate

and you can always add polyfill to the box to change the sound a little depending on what you think sounds best

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EDIT: Nvm, I've decided I don't know what I'm talking about :D

I'm going to sound like a mom, but maybe you should finish some of your other projects before starting new ones. 

ASU

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm going to sound like a mom, but maybe you should finish some of your other projects before starting new ones. 

Yah probably

Though the passive project is waiting on ideas, the laptop is waiting on the sale of my imac, and the 3d printer is waiting on me getting my collective pop in a group to redo the controller's firmware

im building portable boom boxes,speakers and such myself. currently working on a scorpion build with bowers and wilkins sub,vu meters,tweeters and other components. my thing is audiophile sound,quality and uniqueness.

3 minutes ago, creativecasemod420 said:

im building portable boom boxes,speakers and such myself. currently working on a scorpion build with bowers and wilkins sub,vu meters,tweeters and other components. my thing is audiophile sound,quality and uniqueness.

Nice! What amp do you use to drive them? I use a Pam8610. They do not sound the best due to poor board design, but they are TINY and can kick out 10W per channel off of a 12V power source

amps come down to what size speaker I build, I use exotic wood, everything is hand made and put together. the scorpion speaer system I am building ..that is not the name that is what it looks like literally, having a sub in the main body,2 speakers in the claws, tweeters and small full range in the tail, claws and legs have brass rod in the middle to accent them, speaker spikes for feet on the legs, vu in the front with amp controls and I may liquid cool the amp and set the lines recessed. amps vary tho, ive run the amp u have and as is aid depending on size depends on amp I run but as of now im running 100 watt amp for his build from parts express. I love creating unique things, its fun and it sells.

as soon as I find my cam I will post some pics and work with you ,I may even have parts that somehow if I don't need em I can pass along, I am humble and grateful for what I have,not greedy at all and enjoying helping others if possible.

1 minute ago, creativecasemod420 said:

as soon as I find my cam I will post some pics and work with you ,I may even have parts that somehow if I don't need em I can pass along, I am humble and grateful for what I have,not greedy at all and enjoying helping others if possible.

Cool! I have been experimenting with passive radiators, but they are somewhat hard to find...

Use an old briefcase if you can find one. If you don't have one I bet any charity shop will have a good dirt cheap one to use. That means it would be portable if need be however I would also say to make it battery powered (rechargeable) like my speaker system I built from scratch. :)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

On 3/19/2016 at 0:06 PM, creativecasemod420 said:

amps come down to what size speaker I build, I use exotic wood, everything is hand made and put together. the scorpion speaer system I am building ..that is not the name that is what it looks like literally, having a sub in the main body,2 speakers in the claws, tweeters and small full range in the tail, claws and legs have brass rod in the middle to accent them, speaker spikes for feet on the legs, vu in the front with amp controls and I may liquid cool the amp and set the lines recessed. amps vary tho, ive run the amp u have and as is aid depending on size depends on amp I run but as of now im running 100 watt amp for his build from parts express. I love creating unique things, its fun and it sells.

you better post pictures because i just visualized this and now i need to see it!!!