R9 390 vs. GTX 970

Hi :),

So I am presented with 2 options:

AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB (MSi or GIGABYTE version) (Approx. ZAR 5500 | Approx. USD 350)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB (GIGABYTE version) (Approx. ZAR 6000 | Approx. USD 380)

Now, the thing is, OBVIOUSLY the R9 390 is MUCH faster but everyone is telling me to go Nvidia. I don't see why? The GTX 970 is MORE EXPENSIVE and is SLOWER than the R9 390, but people keep telling me don't get it: "You're going to learn the hard way", is what someone told me... :o

Is there something wrong with AMD GPU's, am I an idiot? Are the people telling me to go for the GTX 970 in this scenario idiots? :S

Thanks for any help! xD

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

No, go AMD :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I generally prefer nVidia over AMD, but in this case the 390 is the better buy.

EDIT: My real recommendation is that you wait for Pascal though... Supposedly coming out in May.

I don't think so.

Go for the card that has more power (if the price difference is minor) but if the price difference is major get the card that'll match your needs.

With PC building, don't listen to what others say about what you want. I could rant all I wanted because I like Nvidia but my friends like AMD. There's no real difference but get what you want - not what anyone else wants you to get - what you want. Remember, this is gonna be your expensive gaming PC!

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

970: better with lower end processors

r9 390: better with higher end processors

found that on someones signature, i'll try to find the post, they went in detail in the comparison

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

OK LISTEN TO THIS POST

I ALSO STARTED A 390VS 970 THREAD AND I GOT 90% 390 AND WHY( also depending on your cpu btw)

go for the sapphire one or the msi

and no nvidia fanboys are not idiots just narrow minded 

also just saw your cpu the 390 will rock its socks !!!

I didn't know what to put here...

3 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

I don't think so.

Go for the card that has more power (if the price difference is minor) but if the price difference is major get the card that'll match your needs.

With PC building, don't listen to what others say about what you want. I could rant all I wanted because I like Nvidia but my friends like AMD. There's no real difference but get what you want - not what anyone else wants you to get - what you want. Remember, this is gonna be your expensive gaming PC!

Yeah. The problem with asking for help deciding is that you have a lot of fanboys on either side that will blindly buy/recommend from only one side no matter what.

12 minutes ago, Husky said:

Hi :),

So I am presented with 2 options:

AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB (MSi or GIGABYTE version) (Approx. ZAR 5500 | Approx. USD 350)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB (GIGABYTE version) (Approx. ZAR 6000 | Approx. USD 380)

Now, the thing is, OBVIOUSLY the R9 390 is MUCH faster but everyone is telling me to go Nvidia. I don't see why? The GTX 970 is MORE EXPENSIVE and is SLOWER than the R9 390, but people keep telling me don't get it: "You're going to learn the hard way", is what someone told me... :o

Is there something wrong with AMD GPU's, am I an idiot? Are the people telling me to go for the GTX 970 in this scenario idiots? :S

Thanks for any help! xD

GTX 970. If you want I will swap you my R9 390 for a 970 and pay you a bit on top :D Nvidia has their shit together, like website info, software, features, ports, etc. I will take the reduced performance any day, as it has better optimisation and will probably yield better performance on a lot of games. Only thing that bothers me is the VRAM.

I am a Nvidia fanboy and went AMD for the performance, seems I should have listened to my own brain :D Take it with a grain of salt, I might be a bit biased or just be stupid.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

1 minute ago, Aleksbgbg said:

GTX 970. If you want I will swap you my R9 390 for a 970 and pay you a bit on top :D Nvidia has their shit together, like website info, software, features, ports, etc. I will take the reduced performance any day, as it has better optimisation and will probably yield better performance on a lot of games. Only thing that bothers me is the VRAM.

what are you going on about? the 390 is faster, it starts and stops right there. there's literally no reason to go for the 970

Just now, Demiqas said:

what are you going on about? the 390 is faster, it starts and stops right there. there's literally no reason to go for the 970

My opinion :)

and if you dont have an R9 390 which you are legitimately 100% happy with, then that takes away your right to contradict me :D

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

1 minute ago, Aleksbgbg said:

My opinion :)

and if you dont have an R9 390 which you are legitimately 100% happy with, then that takes away your right to contradict me :D

there really isnt any room for opinion when you're objectively comparing speed, which is what op wants, and the 390 is faster.

your second line is so stupid Im not even going to go into that and derail the thread.

390 atw...

AMD GPUs are generally better for their price than what Nvidia GPUs are for their price.

(See my signature.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Demiqas said:

there really isnt any room for opinion when you're objectively comparing speed, which is what op wants.

your second line is so stupid Im not even going to go into that and derail the thread.

No, like seriously, I regret the R9 390 a lot due to reasons stated above. Why are you getting involved though? If you can give a better answer then fucking give it :D

34 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

I am a Nvidia fanboy and went AMD for the performance, seems I should have listened to my own brain :D Take it with a grain of salt, I might be a bit biased or just be stupid.

I am an Nvidia fanboy too but they've stopped pleasing me recently. I've got a 960 and the driver support is TERRIBLE. I actually reinstalled Windows because of GeForce Experience. I couldn't update my driver and I couldn't reinstall it either.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

390 is the better option, especially in dx12 games performance is usually a LOT better.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Aleksbgbg said:

What are you talking about, their software is BS.

Their drivers are shjt. And I'm not only talking about the mainstream problems that get onto the news, I'm talking about my fair share of smaller problems that will never be adressed because... "F you, the guy that paid us money. We already have your dought, no need to please you any longer". Too bad I need CUDA.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Get the 390. I would say that even if prices are similar. With lower prices it's a no brainer.

I've been using an R9 290 for the past couple years and it's been a stellar experience. Silky smooth gaming, great driver support, stability etc..

4 hours ago, Imakuni said:

What are you talking about, their software is BS.

Their drivers are shjt. And I'm not only talking about the mainstream problems that get onto the news, I'm talking about my fair share of smaller problems that will never be adressed because... "F you, the guy that paid us money. We already have your dought, no need to please you any longer". Too bad I need CUDA.

Software is getting too complex it seems. But in my experience with both AMD and Nvidia drivers AMD's drivers are generally more unstable, buggy and less efficient. They do have good hardware though, so it's a shame their software isn't on par. They are improving, but the high driver overhead is still a big issue.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Thanks Guys! I'm going for the R9 390. :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM