[Scratch Build] CUFEC

1 minute ago, gamingowiz said:

I agree, though the wallet doesn't :P 

Did you ask how much it would cost? At least in Germany powder-coating isn't that expensive. (I got an entire bike frame and a lot of small parts powdercoated and it was just arround 120€ -no idea how expensive it is in Australia though.) I'd go with powder-coating, it should be more durable and you'd save yourself the hassle with doing it yourself.

3 minutes ago, Infin8 said:

Did you ask how much it would cost? At least in Germany powder-coating isn't that expensive. (I got an entire bike frame and a lot of small parts powdercoated and it was just arround 120€ -no idea how expensive it is in Australia though.) I'd go with powder-coating, it should be more durable and you'd save yourself the hassle with doing it yourself.

yeah, I've heard similar. though my sources are various forums.
My issue would be that I'd very much prefer to have a gloss interior and slightly textured black exterior. as soon as any extra prep is involved =  $$.  Durability and ease of shovelling it of to them is key though.

I'll give it a shot myself - should only cost ~60 or so for a couple of rustoleum cans and clear coats. If it doesn't work out - you live, you learn! 

COPPER THEMED SCRATCH BUILD: PROJECT CUFEC IN PROGRESS 

So Bought myself a couple good spray paint cans and a clear coat to only find out it doesn't work too well. So much lint despite prep work and the paint generally doesn't spray evenly! So I decided I'd fork out the extra money to get a powder coat done.

I was quoted $30 bucks for all of it!!!! that's as much as two of my spray cans! Getting a flat black exterior and interior but interior has a gloss acrylic clear coat to make it pop a little better.

My only issue is, I don't like out sourcing jobs. especially prime moding jobs like painting! So forgive me :( I'll be using the cans to do motherboard heat sinks and some fly screen (will explain later).

Motherboard Mod, Paint & Mesh

I think I mentioned I found some copper adhesive? I'm too lazy to check but this stuff is cool! it's actual copper so there is virtually no difference in colour! The heat pipe is a copper pipe and you can see there is no real contrast. It's actually used to keep slugs of pots, so I'd imagin it should handle the heat!

I'm probably needing to redo some of the adhesive. Could look cooler with different patterns. But here is what i've got.

the white stuff everywhere is acrylic dust, apologies!

LL

Spoiler

LL
LL

Finished the 24 pin.. I hate the brown colour and wish I could find something better.. Ideas?

LL

Spoiler

LL

Picked up the case from the powder coater. Not exactly happy with the finish. 6/10. Should of gone with a flat black but I wasn't able to do a colour on either side :( so I went in the middle with a satin.
I'll have some more photos of it up when I've cleaned all this acrylic stuff off.

Also, pictured is the Mesh I was talking about! looks nice :) Just used some aluminium fly screen and spray painted it.

LL

Spoiler

LL

Dang, the copper adhesive looks great! Good implementation, wouldn't be out of line with something like an Asrock board. As for the cables, maybe just go black and grey, and do copper cable combs if possible? I don't know how thick that adhesive is, but maybe you could coat some laser cut ones or Gosumodz ones in it.

I like good humans and good food

16 minutes ago, colinreay said:

Dang, the copper adhesive looks great! Good implementation, wouldn't be out of line with something like an Asrock board. As for the cables, maybe just go black and grey, and do copper cable combs if possible? I don't know how thick that adhesive is, but maybe you could coat some laser cut ones or Gosumodz ones in it.

Good idea, that could look nice! I just don't know of any 4mm combs that go over the cable. At least in Australia where I don't have to pay $$ for postage and wait 3 weeks.

Laser cutters and 3D printers could be an option but most cutters have a minimum charge. I'll see what I can do :) I like it!

6 minutes ago, gamingowiz said:

Good idea, that could look nice! I just don't know of any 4mm combs that go over the cable. At least in Australia where I don't have to pay $$ for postage and wait 3 weeks.

Laser cutters and 3D printers could be an option but most cutters have a minimum charge. I'll see what I can do :) I like it!

Actually carving the copper for the combs might be better. 3D printers don't really print metals, laser cutters work only on thin materials and plasma cutters leave burnt edges and don't have any real details.

Anyway a great looking build!

1 minute ago, Snooli said:

Actually carving the copper for the combs might be better. 3D printers don't really print metals, laser cutters work only on thin materials and plasma cutters leave burnt edges and don't have any real details.

Yeah I'd either use the copper and do what I've done with the heatsinks except the entire comb or paint it like the fans. issue is sourcing cable combs.

Unless you mean something else by carving the copper?

On 27. 4. 2016 at 5:38 PM, gamingowiz said:

Yeah I'd either use the copper and do what I've done with the heatsinks except the entire comb or paint it like the fans. issue is sourcing cable combs.

Unless you mean something else by carving the copper?

I meant making them yourself if you have a CNC or getting someone to CNC it for you.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:30 AM, Snooli said:

3d printing companies can do metal, as well as glass and porcelain and several other materials. At my university we can print copper up to one cubic metre. I know that Shapeways has copper options, as well as platinum if you want to throw a few thousand on it.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

55 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

3d printing companies can do metal, as well as glass and porcelain and several other materials. At my university we can print copper up to one cubic metre. I know that Shapeways has copper options, as well as platinum if you want to throw a few thousand on it.

Last time I looked at 3D printing metals, it was either just colored PLA or metal dust in PLA. Maybe they print a mold...

4 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

rather steep!  I wish i was still at high school or in a different course at uni. would make good use of the equipment.

I'll DIY something.

15 minutes ago, TheCamba said:

Looks awesome.  Loving the black and copper look of it all.

thanks!!

Wow, this is amazing work you've done! That's a really creative idea, using single strand wire for all your power cables, I never thought about that. As you said, I'm sure it makes training cables a lot easier than multistranded wire. Great work!

ASU

8 minutes ago, colinreay said:

If I may, how does this work? Is the metal superheated until it melts and then acts like a regular PLA/ABS 3d printer?

I just had a read, way at the bottom of the page it says they print it in wax on a special printer, then pour a plaster mold, remove the wax, then cast the gold. Then it gets hand polished. Not gonna lie, I kinda hoped they printed liquid gold :P 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

18 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Wow, this is amazing work you've done! That's a really creative idea, using single strand wire for all your power cables, I never thought about that. As you said, I'm sure it makes training cables a lot easier than multistranded wire. Great work!

Thanks! It certainly helps with the training. But after lots of use and bending it'll become frail and I'm not able to anneal the copper with the insulation around it :( They're designed for houses where they won't be touched once routed, as I figure you know!

My cables are perfectly fine though. I've bent them every way shape and form :P but yeah, it's probably a reason it's unique amongst manufacturers and professional modders!

14 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

I just had a read, way at the bottom of the page it says they print it in wax on a special printer, then pour a plaster mold, remove the wax, then cast the gold. Then it gets hand polished. Not gonna lie, I kinda hoped they printed liquid gold :P 

HUH! i thought the same thing :P Having now thought about how it would work.. lol. 

One for the background folder.

If it were 1920x1280 or higher but it is not &%^&^%*

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

17 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

One for the background folder.

If it were 1920x1280 or higher but it is not &%^&^%*

Are you using one of my photos as a background :o:o

I can get higher res 4 u!

Just now, gamingowiz said:

Are you using one of my photos as a background :o:o

I can get higher res 4 u!

I want to but the res isnt high enough (yet). Would love some highers res ones for this: 

Capture.PNG

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

8 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I want to but the res isnt high enough (yet). Would love some highers res ones for this: 

Capture.PNG

COOL! take your pick HERE :D

Just now, gamingowiz said:

COOL! take your pick HERE :D

gamingowizyanps1's images are not publicly available.

Got it from clicking on your name though lol.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Got it from clicking on your name though lol.

agh sorry. I'll change that anyway! I feel proud :)

On 30/04/2016 at 10:16 AM, colinreay said:

If I may, how does this work? Is the metal superheated until it melts and then acts like a regular PLA/ABS 3d printer?

Shapeways uses an Selective Laser Sintering printer. Basically a thin layer of your material of choice is layered then the laser goes over and melts the material, then the process repeats for the next layer. This method allows for much higher quality and and more complex prints since the excess material that is not sintered will act as your support structure. Currently SLS printers that can do anything near the quality of Shapeways are super expensive. :( Maybe one day everyone can own one.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena