UbiSoft has taken to flat out lying in order to sell product

Master Disaster

This was something I saw raised by Jim Sterling yesterday in one of his videos which I'll post in the sources.

Ubisoft have not finished digging just yet it seems. 

A recent advertisement for Ubisoft’s upcoming The Division suggests that a gaming website declared it to be better than Destiny. Problem is, the website never actually said that.

The Division, which comes out next week, has drawn all sorts of comparisons to Bungie’s Destiny thanks to their shared genre; both games are online-only RPG-shooter hybrids that will undoubtedly vie for the same audiences in the months and years to come. Perhaps unable to resist themselves, Ubisoft’s marketers wrote in a recent advertisement (h/t NeoGAF) that The Division “blows Destinyout of the water, according to the website GameZone. Impressive declaration, right? Right. Until you see the actual article:

a1gotytpplhs5i4wcivb.png

Yep, they took the above statement and honestly turned it into...

gvqvl6f7g1pmm15qfu29.jpg

And as it happens the other quote isn't exactly either full or in context, nope, that quote was actually 'The best new franchise released at E3 this year.

GameZone wasn’t referring to the quality of either game, nor were they declaring that The Division had outsold Destiny (which would have been difficult, as The Division isn’t out yet). The article, written by Tatiana Morris, is actually about how The Division’s beta had more players than Destiny’s. The Division had 6.4 million; Destiny had 4.6 million. That’s the context.

It’s yet another example of how big companies skew quotes to advertise their games—or other forms of entertainment—in a disingenuous, actively misleading way.

“[Ubisoft] did ask for permission to use the quote; however, they didn’t specify in what way or form it would be used,” GameZone’s Morris told me in an e-mail this morning. “I think in the future, in an effort to be more transparent with gamers and our audience, I will ask how the quote will be used and where it will be placed.”

Oh, and in case you’re wondering about that IGN quote, “Best New Franchise”? It’s from their E3 2013 awards. IGN thought it was the best new franchiserevealed at E3 that year.

Source - http://kotaku.com/the-divisions-new-anti-destiny-advertisement-is-incredi-1762884622

Well you've got to admire the marketing skills here. 

C'mon Ubisoft, FFS when are you gonna learn this sort of bullshit is exactly why you have a bad reputation. The sad thing is though, despite all the bad press they've received in the last few years people still swallow up their product's without question. Its a mystery?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

Why did you highlight the text?

Highlight what text? Its fine for me?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well, Ubisoft is basically the new Electronic Arts, Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they won the Worst Company Award this year. :/

Main rig: Intel i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz with Silverstone Argon AR06 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, 2 x 8 GiB Corsair LPX Red @ 2.133 Mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, Corsair SF600, Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (no window version).

For on the road: MSI GE72 2QC Apache with 16 GiB RAM upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Serath said:

Well, Ubisoft is basically the new Electronic Arts, Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they won the Worst Company Award this year. :/

EA seems fairly reasonable company right now. They haven't released a good game for a while, but that's for another topic.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

26 minutes ago, Serath said:

I think that "award" is just for America. Ubisoft is based in France.

18 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

EA seems fairly reasonable company right now. They haven't released a good game for a while, but that's for another topic.

Neither has valve. Just sayin'...

I'd like the laws to change regarding how these companies can advertise... Then again the whole dynamic between the journalism 'business' and corporations has always been f*cked.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Not really , it's a french company , as all french company , they are based here but don't work in here much... most montreal and country like north africa if i recall...

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

I don't think anyone buys a game based on those comments, I buy a game if I like it, don't care if x sold more than y

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, Atsura said:

Not really , it's a french company , as all french company , they are based here but don't work in here much... most montreal and country like north africa if i recall...

Well, yeah. Most of the development studios are in Canada and then a few in various places in Europe, but the corporate HQ is in France.

Basicly the HQ just send money and say "i want X% benefit from what i give you"

i am sure 80% of the people that working there can't even name a ubifost game.

In here this is how it works... sadly...

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

This is common place in advertising, quotes are always taken out of context and a specific part is highlighted to accentuate the product. 

Cherry Picking is advertising 101. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Actually they are French Canadian so take that!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ubisoft lying? No, impossible! 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually they are French Canadian so take that!

The Ubisoft HQ is in Montreuil, not Montreal.

Please fix your formatting. There's a remove format button next to the font drop down box.

Also, the game is good despite Ubisoft marketing. It's not a silly thing to buy it, because the game itself is actually good. 

Nobody here stops buying Nvidia, AMD or Intel products because of their shitty marketing do they?

I don't want to defend them, but Ubisoft is just using marketing as the food industry does.

The Division isn't as beautiful than it was advertised at the E3 ? Well, does your industrial pasta looks as good as it's advertised on the box ? Hell no.

It's marketing. We, as final clients, have to step back and try to criticize a game as we should do with any kinds of product because guess what, video games are part of a big industry.

It's exactly the same problem with video cards where Nvidia claims Pascal generation will run 378587562% times better than the current one. What are the conditions, the game, the overhaul rig configuration to claim such statement ?

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Highlight what text? Its fine for me?

Ctrl + Shift + V (Paste without formatting)
For dark theme users there is a white background which makes the story hard to read and look awful.

As for "Blows Destiny out of the Water" Well even if they took it out of context it kind of does.
Especially if you compare them at launch.
Not saying I'm overly fond of the Division, It's alright just not really my thing.
It is however in another league when compared to destiny. Bungie just aren't on a good roll.
I mean Halo 2 was in 2004. That was followed by 3 -.- Reach .-. and then destiny |:
Ubisoft aren't exactly winning any awards at the moment. But at least they've been relevant in the last 10 years.
Who knows, Lying in their marketing could be why!

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It's just taken out of context. It's unethical, but they aren't lying. It's typical marketing, I doubt Ubisoft is the only one that has done.

Not that it makes it good, but let's be honest, do people really base their purchase on quotes like this?

fail. Wrong Post. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, IhazHedont said:

The Division isn't as beautiful than it was advertised at the E3 ? Well, does your industrial pasta looks as good as it's advertised on the box ? Hell no.

As someone who actually owns the game, it looks just like it did at the E3 reveal. They optimized the game well so they were able to get it to run well across all systems, aside from volumetric fog. When volumetric fog is set to high or ultra it kills your fps. So I put mine on medium and theres an unnoticeable loss of quality.

For reference I'm running a 2500k and a 980 and I can run the game maxed out (aside from fog of course) and keep 60fps at 1080p.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

As someone who actually owns the game, it looks just like it did at the E3 reveal. They optimized the game well so they were able to get it to run well across all systems, aside from volumetric fog. When volumetric fog is set to high or ultra it kills your fps. So I put mine on medium and theres an unnoticeable loss of quality.

For reference I'm running a 2500k and a 980 and I can run the game maxed out (aside from fog of course) and keep 60fps at 1080p.

I believe the textures have been drasticly downgraded. But it doesn't stop me from playing the game; far from that honestly since I'm almost at 80h playtime heh.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

4 minutes ago, IhazHedont said:

I believe the textures have been drasticly downgraded. But it doesn't stop me from playing the game; far from that honestly since I'm almost at 80h playtime heh.

I don't think they have. If anyone watches the E3 reveal, its arguably the same. Plus it's a video on YouTube, so you can't actually tell how good it looked back then.

Its not like Nvidia doesnt do the same with their stupid graphs claiming 20x performance, the only thing is they conpare it to super old hardware...

Im used to this BS. MMA fighters for example say this kind of BS on every press conference...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE