NVIDIA 16nm Pascal Powered GeForce GTX 1080 could be Launching in May

Just now, jasonvp said:

Real estate.  DVI ports are fricken huge, and it's ANCIENT TECH!  There's no reason to keep dragging it along with newer cards.

Upgrade your crappy old panels.  Use a DP->DVI adapter.  DVI needs to go away.  I like single-slot but kick-ass GPUs.

You know DP to DVI adapters only output enough bandwidth that's comparable to single link DVI...and yes I know that they are huge but I know plenty of people who still have DVI and VGA only panels, you can't expect them to be upgrading a few years old 1080p that are fully perfect, think about why VGA is still around, it's obsolete tech for a couple of years but it's still rocking around...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Thony said:

I use dvi on both of my monitors. They didn't come with HDMI or dp included in the box. So why buy extra cable to do literally the same thing ?

Only a minor majority of people uses VGA and they are still being included even in high end mobos and laptops.

That standard won't go away for a long time...

Luckily we don't see VGA on GPUs anymore.  I'm sure some manufacturers will start releasing cards with only dp or HDMI I/O :)

Not every card is going to do that though. 

Exactly. My monitor also didn't come with a HDMI too and I don't want to go to the city just for the sake of that cable.

And besides, it's a FHD monitor and DVI does its work very good.

And nVidia may be the new Intel, not focusing on performance but on efficiency. I won't pay 600 euros for that shit, let alone 900.

The prices are also getting outrageous ridicolous if the prices are true. Then think about the taxes and shipping, fuck that.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

you can't expect them to be upgrading a few years old 1080p that are fully perfect

I can expect them to, and no, 1080p isn't "fully perfect".  If you want new tech, it's time for new tech.  That includes your panel.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Cool if true, but this time around I want the best single graphic card. Most likely the card with HBM on it hopefully anyways.

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I can expect them to, and no, 1080p isn't "fully perfect".  If you want new tech, it's time for new tech.  That includes your panel.

Yah I know my panel isn't perfect, but it's more than good enough, 120hz 1080p, the colours may not be perfect but it's good enough for media consumption, I don't feel like spending $350+ for a monitor that's basically the same but with better inputs...*sorry more as my second monitor only has DVI and VGA

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

I'll have to see it and check the benchmarks before I'll jump on the gun. Yay for AMD keeping the competition alive!

As much as I am glad that AMD may be pulling out some awesome cards, AMD themselves aren't really the ones pushing things.  At the moment 4K and VR will be forcing the GFX makers to push themselves.  Unlike the CPU race, the GPU race has switched from AMD vs NVidia, it has switched more to monitors/refresh rate/resolution vs GFX cards.  So until a single top tier card can run the highest resolution at the highest displayable refresh rate, the GFX card makers are still kind of competing with themselves, and last year's model.  Granted, if it was only NVidia, they would likely just tell game makers that the current card is the last one to be made, and that gamers and devs can suck it.  So, the competition forces both companies to keep going forward, but the bar isn't being set by the competition, but by the limits of technology at the moment.

For an example of this, the Mhz wars between Intel and AMD were about being faster than themselves just as much as being faster than the other.  But with very little software even pretending to push CPUs on the consumer side, there is no real need or drive for either company to make faster CPUs.  Since really, even if AMD came out with a fast consumer CPU, they would only get replacement sales, as there is no consumer drive to increase CPU performance.

34 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Real estate.  DVI ports are fricken huge, and it's ANCIENT TECH!  There's no reason to keep dragging it along with newer cards.

Upgrade your crappy old panels.  Use a DP->DVI adapter.  DVI needs to go away.  I like single-slot but kick-ass GPUs.

Dude, they have just barely gotten rid of VGA. DVI is fucking cutting-edge tech compared to VGA. Give it another 5 years, then we can talk about it.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Dude, they have just barely gotten rid of VGA. DVI is fucking cutting-edge tech compared to VGA. Give it another 5 years, then we can talk about it.

Facetious comment aside, I'm afraid you're probably right.  One can only hope that the top of line Pascal doesn't include DVI.  The only reason current Titan X cards are dual-slot is because of that God-forsaken DVI port.  I want a Pascal Titan that I can water cool and, because of that, replace the backplate with a single-slot one.  Without having to pull a "Watch Linus cut the DVI port off a Titan" trick.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Facetious comment aside, I'm afraid you're probably right.  One can only hope that the top of line Pascal doesn't include DVI.  The only reason current Titan X cards are dual-slot is because of that God-forsaken DVI port.  I want a Pascal Titan that I can water cool and, because of that, replace the backplate with a single-slot one.  Without having to pull a "Watch Linus cut the DVI port off a Titan" trick.

Considering how long a monitor can last you, I think it's a bit too soon to ditch DVI. But for the next architectures after Pascal and Polaris, I would definitely be rooting for retirement of DVI.

It's still fine by me if some manufacturers come up with non-reference cards without DVI. That would be really cool.

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

didn't SAMSUNG made 14nm Apple chips that were hotter than (not sure if them) TSMC's 16nm ones

They used Low Power Early 14nm. AMD is usijg their 14nm Low Power Performance. 

That'll be disappointing if the 70/80 series launches with GDDR5 instead of GDDR5X. May be a good time to move to team red this year.

On 3/11/2016 at 6:11 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

7990=4 mini DP and a DVI so almost 5 mini DP :P 

close but not close enough hahaha :D 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Why hasn't NVidia taken a pot shot at AMD and just call it the GTX HD80?

Just to spite the Radeon HD 7990...

Or the GTX 4K80?...

/s

EDIT: Just to go full circle, I can't wait until the R9 480 comes out. Then we judge if it's become Thermi V2

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I hope they rush it and fuck up, they want to release before AMD so people buy Pascal and will not have money for Polaris, nvidia is trembling.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

On 3/11/2016 at 4:37 AM, Sakkura said:

I still doubt it will be called GTX 1080. I think 1800 is more likely. 

I'm hoping they go the hex route and call it the A80.