Samsung is building 256GB memory chips for smartphones

wyattzx

samsung-256GB-memory-smartphones-2016-02

Your smartphone may soon have as much storage as a typical PC. Samsung has announced that it's mass producing 256GB embedded chips, double what it had last year, using the Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 2.0 standard.

Source: engadget

While this comes as no surprise, I always enjoy seeing improvements and optimizations made in the field of technology. Phones with 256GB of flash storage could be a reality for flagships in 2017, and that's certainly a welcome addition. The article goes on to mention how the chips will have read-write speeds in excess of 850MB/250MB. While that is much faster than a comparable SATA III SSD, its write performance is near half. However, it should be noted that phones do not write the amount of data that PCs do, so this should be a non-issue going forward.

Thoughts?

Sounds great but they'll probably use it as a reason to get rid of micro sd card slots on phones which will be annoying and inconvenient. 

Just now, Jon Trollston said:

Sounds great but they'll probably use it as a reason to get rid of micro sd card slots on phones which will be annoying and inconvenient. 

If a phone has 256GB of onboard storage, the only inconvenience would be either if you max it out (unlikely unless your phone is used as a DSLR replacement, or if you listen to nothing but .FLAC files) or if you cannot use a micro-USB cable to manage the data on the phone from your PC. Most phones (if not all of them?) don't support external storage over 128GB / 256GB anyways.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

'As much storage as a typical PC'

*cough* (And yes I know some ordinary PC might have 500~GB or more of storage but that's still more)

Based on market share, typical PC likely refers to Chromebooks, Ultrabooks, and low-end office PCs where this is likely true. "Gaming" desktops make up a very minuscule portion of the PC market share.

1 minute ago, NonaHexa said:

If a phone has 256GB of onboard storage, the only inconvenience would be either if you max it out (unlikely unless your phone is used as a DSLR replacement, or if you listen to nothing but .FLAC files) or if you cannot use a micro-USB cable to manage the data on the phone from your PC. Most phones (if not all of them?) don't support external storage over 128GB / 256GB anyways.

I enjoy being able to save files to my micro sd card and just giving that to my dad or my friends without having to go through a pc or any settings. 

Wake me up when they add a proper controller to those, like Apple has. We keep getting the same old phones as "new" models every year it has become boring...

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Jeezus Christ we've come a long way.

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Brand Blacklist: Gainward, Silverstone, Cougar, Gigabyte.

52 minutes ago, Minzo said:

Who needs 256GB in their phone really?

i do and it still wouldn't be enough

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This will be a reason for samsung to jack up the prices to the sun solar system.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, SaladFingers said:

Wake me up when they add a proper controller to those, like Apple has. We keep getting the same old phones as "new" models every year it has become boring...

The S7 is by no means the same phone as the S6. They are very, very different.

The LG G4 and G5 are worlds apart. 

I would like faster storage on phones though. I was hoping it would come with the S7 but I guess we will have to wait another year for that. 

The S7 ads during tonight's Academy Awards (Chris Rock was the worst host in Oscar history) had someone say they could hold all 140 of their movies... Is the S7 getting a 256Gb version? Cause that's not enough for 140~ movies if they are even half decent copies.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Just now, LAwLz said:

The S7 is by no means the same phone as the S6. They are very, very different.

The LG G4 and G5 are worlds apart. 

I would like faster storage on phones though. I was hoping it would come with the S7 but I guess we will have to wait another year for that. 

Not as different to hint an upgrade though. This whole trend of releasing new stuff annually is milking manufacturers dry of ideas. The G5 is the only interesting new model this year, if you ask me. When are we going to get some Nvme controllers, for example? Why do most of them not have usb-c yet? Why the crappy battery life still? I mean... phones from 2-3 years back still are just as appealing as the current ones, minus some specs like less ram and older cpus (that perform about the same still....). The fact that they *have* to release something new year in and year out means there won't necessarily be any kind of innovation between the generations.

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

2 hours ago, Minzo said:

Who needs 256GB in their phone really?

Everyone, for the sake of not being prudent in what we store on our phones. The future of mobile storage will be download what you want, when you want, and keep it for however long you want.

None of this shit:

guCXv.png

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Good move ! 

Shame it's gonna add more cost to the phone than a 128gb SD card would :(

Luckily I don't need more than 32gb anyway :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, NonaHexa said:

While this comes as no surprise, I always enjoy seeing improvements and optimizations made in the field of technology. Phones with 256GB of flash storage could be a reality for flagships in 2017, and that's certainly a welcome addition. The article goes on to mention how the chips will have read-write speeds in excess of 850MB/250MB. While that is much faster than a comparable SATA III SSD, its write performance is near half. However, it should be noted that phones do not write the amount of data that PCs do, so this should be a non-issue going forward.

Thoughts?

Too much focus on sequential transfer speeds. Random read/write is more important. And low queue depths, not the usual QD32 crap. Most people don't run that kind of workload on their PCs, let alone their phones.

38 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Not as different to hint an upgrade though. This whole trend of releasing new stuff annually is milking manufacturers dry of ideas. The G5 is the only interesting new model this year, if you ask me. When are we going to get some Nvme controllers, for example? Why do most of them not have usb-c yet? Why the crappy battery life still? I mean... phones from 2-3 years back still are just as appealing as the current ones, minus some specs like less ram and older cpus (that perform about the same still....). The fact that they *have* to release something new year in and year out means there won't necessarily be any kind of innovation between the generations.

Well you're finally seeing some spec differentiation then. iPhone with NVMe, G5 with USB-C...

Fast update cycles just means you can skip a generation or two here and there. Just like you don't upgrade your desktop CPU every generation.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Well you're finally seeing some spec differentiation then. iPhone with NVMe, G5 with USB-C...

Fast update cycles just means you can skip a generation or two here and there. Just like you don't upgrade your desktop CPU every generation.

You're right about the generation skipping, it makes sense. Though I still find most manufacturers being hesitant about real upgrades to their devices which leaves a sour taste. Also, kudos to Apple for their NVMe controller, that was mostly what I was referring to, but I would like to see that beyond Apple's closed ecosystem. Why does everyone have to play the waiting game and not innovate a little bit? I get it, it's trendy to bash on Apple then copy them next year, but to the end user that doesn't help at all. I mean, I would expect Samsung to do NVMe before everyone else, and since they didn't, at least bring it a year later. But nope.

~ Specs bellow ~

And my phone only has about 3.5gb of usable storage + 16 gb on a class 4 sd card...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

8 hours ago, NonaHexa said:

but you have to remember that the 256GB model is probably going to be much more expensive than the 32GB model and it would be great to have micro sd expansion of the 32GB model

All great for extra on board storage, specially now that they're reaching SSD performance. I'm aiming for top capacity for my next phone like Samsung Galaxy S7 but price for flash is still high so hopefully it drops faster.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Good, now I can fit entire video library onto a phone

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi