Codename "You Should"

Magikarpdrowned

An interesting name, I know. I might have named it to have the first computer in the world named after the new Squarespace slogan, but that doesn't mean the name doesn't fit (more on that later.) My interests are all over the place, ranging from white hat hacking to professional graphic design. Right now, I use a prebuilt (shut up, I know) with a decent processor, but no real GPU to speak of. My aim with this build was to get a decent GPU, but an even better, even newer Skylake processor in the build. I have ordered the parts as listed at the end, and I want to update this thread as I get the parts, build the machine, and eventually get it up and running.

I think the name "You Should" fits this build nicely. I have several passions as listed above, and I wanted to have no limitations when trying them. This machine will encourage me to try things I couldn't (or wouldn't) have before. The computer can be telling me "You Should" when I want to do something. I also really want a free Squarespace subscription if they can hook that up;) Anyways, without further ado, this is the parts list. I aim to build this computer next weekend, and I should be able to post pictures of the build then!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Cooler Master Fan 4 Pack ($11.99)
Total: $647.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 18:11 EST-0500

Project You Should.jpg

No SSD?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

No SSD?

I use a computer with a hard drive and I see no benefit to an SSD. Maybe later as an upgrade.

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

I use a computer with a hard drive and I see no benefit to an SSD. Maybe later as an upgrade.

Have you researched SSDs at all?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Have you researched SSDs at all?

I have, and I am blown away by their speeds. I just don't see why I should buy one if I am perfectly content with hard drives though. I understand that to people who have been experienced SSDs before never want to go back, but if I can stay happy with my cheap-o solution, I want to. Thanks for suggesting an SSD though, I am actually considering adding one later down the line.

22 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

I have, and I am blown away by their speeds. I just don't see why I should buy one if I am perfectly content with hard drives though. I understand that to people who have been experienced SSDs before never want to go back, but if I can stay happy with my cheap-o solution, I want to. Thanks for suggesting an SSD though, I am actually considering adding one later down the line.

"down the line" is exactly when you'll really start wishing you had used on from the start ;)

Everyone talks about how much faster boot times are with an SSD, and while that's true, IMO it's actually the least significant benefit.  For one, the machine just feels way more responsive.  You remember the old days every time you'd get a new computer, whether it was moving up to XP, or to windows 7 or whatever and it just felt way faster than what you used to have?  Adding an SSD does that same thing to existing hardware, even if you already have a great CPU and other stuff.  Second, you know how Windows tends to slow down over time and to bring it back to original performance you have to reinstall every few years?  That's totally gone with an SSD; you keep day one speed for life! :)  Third, while boot time are great, log on times are a nicer thing to have be fast, and boy to SSDs help here!  Not only will it be noticeably faster to reach the desktop and to get usable from day 1, but this too is maintained going forward, contrary to the experience you get on a HDD where log on gets slower and slower over time to the point where you're waiting over a minute for the system to be usable.

that's just my two cents for whatever it's worth :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

26 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Even the cheaper sub $60 SSDs are lightyears ahead of hard drives in terms of read/write speeds. I HIGHLY suggest you get one now rather than later. A low-capacity SSD could be used as a boot drive, with only your operating system and some programs stored on it, and store everything else on your Barracuda.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Even just getting a cheap 120GB one for OS and browser, steam etc.

Worlds of difference, Best upgrade I ever did to my PC. 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

So, the Graphics card and PSU arrived today. Components should continue to arrive through Monday.

5 hours ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

So, the Graphics card and PSU arrived today. Components should continue to arrive through Monday.

Did you take advice on the SSD? You should, most overlooked upgrade ever.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I've met a few people who chose to forgo an SSD for the same reasons and never understood it. Maybe it is a patience thing? I have a Core 2 Duo laptop that is very usable with an SSD, with a 7200RPM drive, it frustrates me. Every system I use actually has a boot SSD at this point. The change in OS responsiveness is something I've come to require. My work PC (Don't own) still boots off a spinner and I can feel the difference on a daily basis.

For me, an SSD made sense because I prefer to keep user data and applications on a separate drive. To each their own though. Definitely recommend one ASAP.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Okay, okay... I think I've been ridiculed enough. Anyways, the parts all arrived, and I am typing this post on my new computer. I'll post some screenshots later!

16 hours ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Okay, okay... I think I've been ridiculed enough. Anyways, the parts all arrived, and I am typing this post on my new computer. I'll post some screenshots later!

All anyone is going to do is comment on the lack of SSD, until you give in and get one. ;)

Seriously, just get one now, so you don't have to deal with moving loads of programs and files later. Also, your old computer + an SSD would feel much better than your new build without one. The difference is that dramatic.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

1 minute ago, fire219 said:

All anyone is going to do is comment on the lack of SSD, until you give it and get one. ;)

Seriously, just get one now, so you don't have to deal with moving loads of programs and files later. Also, your old computer + an SSD would feel much better than your new build without one. The difference is that dramatic.

Believe me, that's very true.  I had an old (but good) laptop form about 5 years ago now (sandy bridge i7, 8 GB of RAM, came with a HDD) and from day 1 it was ok but nothing spectacular.  I upgraded it to an SSD and it's way nicer than other computers I've used with modern i7's and more RAM.  I'd love to try this on something a little more extreme, like skylake i7 16 GB RAM and HDD vs C2Q 4 GB RAM with SSD just for teh lolz but just a before and after on my laptop was evidence enough to realize how extreme of a change it makes!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

SSD is the way to go!

I took all my magnetic drives and ripped them apart. (except for my nas drives) Threw away all but the discs inside and made some excellent desk ornaments.

If you buy an SSD later, (and an SSD is usually used for a boot drive), I'm not really sure how to reinstall windows and still retain the same license in the SSD. Besides, most of the programs that is installed already will have to be reinstalled.

NEED X58 BOARD WITH SATA3 ASAP

So... I realized I left this post dead in the water without any proof that I built the system. I'm sorry. Hopefully more screenshots coming later, including gaming benchmarks. I have been getting an average of 58-60fps on most games on high without too much trouble. Attached are some screenshots of basic system specs, and some pictures from The Crew to show basic graphics fidelity.

2016-03-12 20_09_05-Task Manager.png

2016-03-12 20_09_40-.png

2016-03-12 20_10_23-.png

2016-03-12 20_12_46-.png

The Crew2016-3-9-18-51-18.jpg

The Crew2016-3-10-20-52-0.jpg

The Crew2016-3-9-17-33-35.jpg

The Crew2016-3-9-17-33-50.jpg

The Crew2016-3-12-15-9-14.jpg

Just Cause 2: 60fps capped by V-sync on all three benchmarks on high settings with 4x AA.

The Crew: 55-60fps max with V-sync with FXAA and high settings.

Dying Light: 50fps at high with 4x AA.