Acer Predator G6 - Can Acer Make a Badass Gaming Desktop?

LinusTech
1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I feel like maybe 2 or 3 people will buy this?

If all else fails, we'll be having a lot of spare tires.

Seeing the 'L33t Gamer Cred' black armor outside with the totally unremarkable, bog standard steel cage inside, literally coated with black plastic on all sides to hide it... It's kinda like seeing a Peanut M&M that's been bisected so you can see where the chocolate ends and the peanut begins. o.O

46 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Its made by FSP, as Linus states in the video.

Oh, I see. I didn't noticed it because auto closed captions are terrible, I can read his lips little, not much...  There's way to fixing CC *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

spec wise the PC is nice

but the chassis is really over the top tacky and lack cooling

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I put this build together is PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1474.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-28 23:37 EST-0500

I included everything (mouse/keyboard, wireless card, SSD, OS) but a case as well as some extra things like an aftermarket CPU cooler and some nicer RAM (2400Mhz vs 2133Mhz). You'll notice it comes out to around $1500. This PC sells for $2000. I don't care what you say, no case is worth $500 (especially one with such terrible thermals). This is some Alienware level shit that prays on parents and kids who don't know anything about building PCs (which you should most definitely do if you're going to drop two grand on it.) This is not "reflective of overall improvements to the pre-built PC industry" Linus; it's the same shit they've been pulling for years.

I included everything (mouse/keyboard, wireless card, SSD, OS) but a case as well as some extra things like an aftermarket CPU cooler and some nicer RAM (2400Mhz vs 2133Mhz). You'll notice it comes out to around $1500. This PC sells for $2000. I don't care what you say, no case is worth $500 (especially one with such terrible thermals). This is some Alienware level shit that prays on parents and kids who don't know anything about building PCs (which you should most definitely do if you're going to drop two grand on it.) This is not "reflective of overall improvements to the pre-built PC industry" Linus; it's the same shit they've been pulling for years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($181.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($132.77 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex [RAW] Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($63.57 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Wired Laser Mouse  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1888.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 01:10 EST-0500

Linus did mentioned the DIY route will save you some cash but what the PC is target for are for those who need a PC that is ready to game right after they bought the PC from bestbuy, target, etc.

if the CPU was cooled using liquid cooling instead of air cooling

it might stand a better chance

Asus has a similar spec PC with a better casing cooling and comes pre-installed with a 120mm AIO from the OEM manufacturer

I saw the Acer machine personally and the chassis is just blah!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

On 2/28/2016 at 2:24 AM, TheWoollyMammoth said:

So at the end of the video there's a videolink to the $4000 server video.

Except for the actual link. Or the video.

I can't breathe.

Does anyone else know where this video is? I'm assuming they linked an unreleased upcoming vid. 

38 minutes ago, turbobaja said:

Does anyone else know where this video is? I'm assuming they linked an unreleased upcoming vid. 

Yeah, it's an upcoming vid. Linus has been teasing it on instagram.

I guess their production schedule was effed up again so they threw in this video ahead of the schedule.

Do not feed.

The flashy "OMG so cool and badass!" looks, basic interior and bad thermal solution don't look like they belong on a $2000 machine. The specs do, but the case... fuck that thing.

I still see no Reason to buy a Prebuild..ever. Building myself cost less and is way more Fun.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO