Windows 10 Now Showing Full Screen Ads On Lock Screen

Syntaxvgm

With more than 200 million systems running Windows 10—many of them having upgraded from an earlier version for free—Microsoft has decided it’s time to monetize the lock screen.

Yep.

15998-12568-Screen-Shot-2016-02-24-at-22

15998-12569-Screen-Shot-2016-02-24-at-21

This reportedly happens both with people that bought it outright, and who got the 'free update.'

You can turn them off by turning off spotlight 

Keep in mind that the option to disable the ads only shows up if you have selected Picture or Slideshow under the Background section of lock screen settings. If you’re using Windows Spotlight, which routinely refreshes the lock screen with images from Bing, ads are presumably part of the deal.

jusexvfkpvogbh6bwi5a.png

but still, I really have an issue with this. 

Remember, when something is free, you are the product. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3037396/windows/windows-10-lock-screen-ads-begin-with-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-push.html

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm sorry, but this is funny. xD

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You can turn off = no problem. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I have that switch on and I still don't see it.  Is it maybe for people who let Windows pick their background?  Because I set my own image...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Albatross said:

I'm sorry, but this is funny. xD

It kinda is to me too. It's like "told you so"

I disabled spotlight anyway so I didn't ever have this problem 

Just now, ZetZet said:

You can turn off = no problem. 

for me not really, I have a problem with an OS advertising to people in the first place. Especially for less savvy users, though it is easy to turn off, and I can appreciate that. 

I mean it sets a new precedent, I'm reluctant to go "it's no problem", because..yah know...slippery slope argument 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have that switch on and I still don't see it.  Is it maybe for people who let Windows pick their background?  Because I set my own image...

I don't think it's widely been used yet. 

muh specs 

All parts black

it doesn't affect me, personally. but this is super sketchy.

people buy windows.

Just now, Katorice said:

it doesn't affect me, personally. but this is super sketchy.

people buy windows.

is that a question? And yes. People do. Full price. Even though they can just buy 7 and upgrade, rip the key. Cringe huh? 

muh specs 

All parts black

How did anyone think this "feature" is a good idea to be included? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I don't think it's widely been used yet. 

Well I'll keep an eye out for it :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

is that a question? And yes. People do. Full price. Even though they can just buy 7 and upgrade, rip the key. Cringe huh? 

no it wasn't, twas a statement lol.

4 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Microsoft should just make Windows free already...

it actually is with tablets and cheap laptops

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, Katorice said:

no it wasn't, twas a statement lol.

I'm waiting for the windows 10 ad that advertises windows 10 

Actually, when, and if it becomes no  longer free to upgrade, the pirated versions might be kinda cool, as they'd have to disable a lot of the communication with MS 

muh specs 

All parts black

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It kinda is to me too. It's like "told you so"

I disabled spotlight anyway so I didn't ever have this problem 

for me not really, I have a problem with an OS advertising to people in the first place. Especially for less savvy users, though it is easy to turn off, and I can appreciate that. 

I mean it sets a new precedent, I'm reluctant to go "it's no problem", because..yah know...slippery slope argument 

I feel its more product placement then full blown ad, its not even saying what it is. so I dont think its bad, they are cool pictures. if it had the product name, release datw, or were to buy then I would agree.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

At this rate we'll start getting popup ads in Windows 10. First it was the start menu and now this

I'm pretty sure their approach is boiling frog

Just now, Suicidal Korean said:

I feel its more product placement then full blown ad, its not even saying what it is. so I dont think its bad, they are cool pictures. if it had the product name, release datw, or were to buy then I would agree.

nonsense! I don't want companies subliminally advertising on my lock screen 

*looks at my imgur*

h1dbILAl.jpg

damnit

muh specs 

All parts black

I mean, the ads aren't exactly that invasive but the precedent that could be set is what is worrisome.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

nonsense! I don't want companies subliminally advertising on my lock screen 

*looks at my imgur*

h1dbILAl.jpg

damnit

If that is from Microsoft then I don't like that one.

(saying if because you could put you own picture to prove a point)

is that option on by defualt? mine is set to windows spotlight with "show windows background picture on the sign-in screen" which is not this setting as far as i know. (I think it was set by default) 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Suicidal Korean said:

If that is from Microsoft then I don't like that one.

(saying if because you could put you own picture to prove a point)

is that option on by defualt? mine is set to windows spotlight with "show windows background picture on the sign-in screen" which is not this setting as far as i know. (I think it was set by default) 

oh this has been my lock screen for a while, I set it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Unless you're able to type in "turn off lockscreen ad" into the search in Windows 10 to turn it off, this is unacceptable. 

There isn't anything in my Windows build about this. 

I do have Windows 10 Education (aka Enterprise) so, maybe it's late to my build.

Anyway, as long as you can remove/disable it. 

23 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

Unless you're able to type in "turn off lockscreen ad" into the search in Windows 10 to turn it off, this is unacceptable. 

windows 10 search don't work int he first place lol. I use classic shell specifically for search. 

muh specs 

All parts black