Steam Announces Family Sharing

Nertballs

I know there's beentopics on this, but they've only been rumours!

Steam have announced that they WILL be implementing local family sharing! 

I think this is a pretty cool move, and something i can't actually see them costing a lot of money while gaining them an awful lot of respect.

Coming Soon: Players who share computers can also share their Steam games

September 11, 2013 – Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam. 

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

NVM, its the actual announcement :D

More here also:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/steam-family-sharing/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

:D Yaaay.

Now my nephew can play games when I am at work/sleeping.

Though since it is called "Family Sharing", I assume it's purpose is not only to share games so that others can try then buy them. That sounds more like "Friend sharing". 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

the problem here is that you can't play a different game while one is lent out. so I don't think this is gonna work terribly well.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

:D Yaaay.

Now my nephew can play games when I am at work/sleeping.

Though since it is called "Family Sharing", I assume it's purpose is not only to share games so that others can try then buy them. That sounds more like "Friend sharing". 

I have a few friends that have 100's of games, they just be came my brothers :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

the problem here is that you can't play a different game while one is lent out. so I don't think this is gonna work terribly well.

no i don't think this is the loaning thing. It just means several accounts can access the same files as long as they are on the same PC. I mena, you can't have two account signed in and playing games on the same machine!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

This is great news! I been trying to get more games for me dad, but now he can just play some out the the 100+ that I have! :D 

It's still unclear to me how this will work or whether it will be a success, I guess we'll have to wait a week to see that. But hey, having the choice is always nice.

I agree with this. If they want to make the connection with physical media, why make it apply to an entire library? Very irritating.

I have a few friends that have 100's of games, they just be came my brothers :D

Ha, I have 107, counting betas/temporary ones. :P

no i don't think this is the loaning thing. It just means several accounts can access the same files as long as they are on the same PC. I mena, you can't have two account signed in and playing games on the same machine!

Hmm, you are right. Basically, what I want to be able to do is play one game on my computer while someone else uses my account to play a different game on their computer. 

Thus lending them the game. Say what you will, but if they really want to align this with physical media, that is how physical media works.

Maybe disable achievements so that people cannot farm them by letting multiple people play multiple games, or limit it to 1 game getting achievements and the rest are null and void. 

You get the idea. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hmm, you are right. Basically, what I want to be able to do is play one game on my computer while someone else uses my account to play a different game on their computer. 

Thus lending them the game. Say what you will, but if they really want to align this with physical media, that is how physical media works.

Maybe disable achievements so that people cannot farm them by letting multiple people play multiple games, or limit it to 1 game getting achievements and the rest are null and void. 

You get the idea. 

Nope. http://store.steampowered.com/sharing

So it is exactly what I want it to be. 

backpain-1292835351.jpg

† Christian Member †

Oooo this looks promising. Might not affect me now but it may in the near future. Good job Steam

So... who's accepting new family members??? :D

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Neat.

but here's the catch:

Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

I don't see how's that much different than it is already, besides convenience of not re-authorizing (but that can be easy by just auto forwarding authorizing email to "family").

My Rigs (past and present)

Neat.

but here's the catch:

I don't see how's that much different than it is already.

So, it's like giving someone your account rights until they give it back or whatever.

Pretty neat! I have almost 200 games....I might be Mr. Popular pretty soon.  B)

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

So, it's like giving someone your account rights until they give it back or whatever.

But more securely since it's just the library game rights AND they have their own profile. Great if you want to try a game and know a "family" member has one =).

Technically, this is better than "trials". Start making more "family".

My Rigs (past and present)

I'm not sharing my account with anyone  :P

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Well, giving someone access to your games until you decide to play one of them. Still better than what they had before (giving someone else your steam login) because you were basically handing over control of your account.