Software Piracy Hurts Linux Adoption, Research Finds

patrick3027
Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah, I got a bit of Linux from my Network Security program that I just finished with ECPI. But not nearly enough. They focused more heavily on Windows, which kind of pisses me off because Linux is much more widespread in the enterprise networking world.

I hereby petition Governor Charlie Baker of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to institute teaching Linux as well as Linux as well as Windows in general education.

Because if any one state should be the first, it should be the one with the highest educational standards, right? ;) 

Just now, Daring said:

I hereby petition Governor Charlie Baker of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to institute teaching Linux as well as Linux as well as Windows in general education.

Because if any one state should be the first, it should be the one with the highest educational standards, right? ;) 

I guess.

As long as it isn't California claiming to have high educational standards lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I guess.

As long as it isn't California claiming to have high educational standards lol

Massachusetts has been named the state with the highest educational standards and the most top schools in the country for a long time now. Even a lot of our worst-performing schools are still better than the national average. In fact, our educational standards are so good that, if we were to become our own country, we'd have the 9th most well-educated students in the world. So, if anything, our teachers should be able to learn to adopt Linux in the classroom as well as Windows and create Linux-based curricula pretty easily.

22 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Linux isn't unfriendly, it's un-supported by most companies. Because "why would we support a platform where we can't make as much money"?

Want to fix Linux adoption? Get behind a bill to force all public schools to use and teach Linux and not Windows or Apple. There's actually a legal argument to be made there. "We can no longer teach Windows or iOS because they are both FOR profit corporations, and government is not supposed to pick winners and losers when it comes to businesses".

So, the obvious legal recourse is for all public schools to use and teach Linux.

That's why I said perceived. And yes public institutions should all use and teach Linux I agree on that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 minutes ago, Daring said:

Massachusetts has been named the state with the highest educational standards and the most top schools in the country for a long time now. Even a lot of our worst-performing schools are still better than the national average. In fact, our educational standards are so good that, if we were to become our own country, we'd have the 9th most well-educated students in the world. So, if anything, our teachers should be able to learn to adopt Linux in the classroom as well as Windows and create Linux-based curricula pretty easily.

Eh.... I personally haven't looked at the state by state statistics. And I also question the governments rankings of state educational systems. Unless you're talking about a rating from an independent company etc.

shrug

17 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That's why I said perceived. And yes public institutions should all use and teach Linux I agree on that.

Ahh.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Eh.... I personally haven't looked at the state by state statistics. And I also question the governments rankings of state educational systems. Unless you're talking about a rating from an independent company etc.

shrug

Let me just say that we're so proud of our education that we freak out whenever education budget cuts are discussed, even small cuts. You can also ask people who went to college in Massachusetts, they say the quality of education they received was much higher than their home state.

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Pretty sure OEMs install genuine Windows.

Can I burst your bubble? Because trust me, not all OEM do, especially small ones.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

38 minutes ago, Daring said:

Let me just say that we're so proud of our education that we freak out whenever education budget cuts are discussed, even small cuts. You can also ask people who went to college in Massachusetts, they say the quality of education they received was much higher than their home state.

I do tend to take personal opinions based on experience, much more seriously than any review done by government or third parties.

I think it has more to do with ignorance (they have been using Windows for so long they can't get out of their comfort zone to learn something new that isn't really hard at all) and lack of software support for things they want to do or need to do.  The later though could be cured easily if people just supported Linux more.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

8 hours ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

bs

people use Linux not for pirated :/ mostly for servers and powerusers :P so I highly doubt theres that one guy using pirated software on his server

Uh....

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Uh....

Shazbot?

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Shazbot?

No, but Oracle doesn't exactly sell its enterprise database software for cheap so...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Hey, wait a second.. Isn't Android Linux? I think that some numbers are wrong there. Computer is a weird definition nowadays. If you mean the classical intel Laptop or desktop computer, I agree. If you mean computers in general then I strongly disagree. All the tables with keyboards and phones themselves are mostly Android. In the end of last year there were 1,4 billion Active Android devices. It could be TV, tablet or phone, or even a watch, but its still a computer. More powerful and usable than computers just 20 years ago.

It is stupid to be stupid.

3 hours ago, Daring said:

Oh please, removing the outlier that is MIT puts Massachussetts in the same muck as Vermont when it comes to tech education. You can keep Harvard. Dartmouth and Penn put it to shame these days anyway.

Oh please, removing the outlier that is MIT puts Massachussetts in the same muck as Vermont.

Really now.

Just now, Codeplayer said:

Hey, wait a second.. Isn't Android Linux? I think that some numbers are wrong there. Computer is a weird definition nowadays. If you mean the classical intel Laptop or desktop computer, I agree. If you mean computers in general then I strongly disagree. All the tables with keyboards and phones themselves are mostly Android. In the end of last year there were 1,4 billion Active Android devices. It could be TV, tablet or phone, or even a watch, but its still a computer. More powerful and usable than computers just 20 years ago.

My phone destroys my Celeron 300A (120MHz FSB because, screw shelling out for a technologically inferior Pentium II).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Really now.

In my experience, yes.

In my experience, yes.

Are you really trying to convince someone who's lived in Massachusetts his whole life and was educated in Massachusetts from preschool to the 12th grade that education in Massachusetts, outside of MIT, sucks?

Just now, Daring said:

Are you really trying to convince someone who's lived in Massachusetts his whole life and was educated in Massachusetts from preschool to the 12th grade that education in Massachusetts, outside of MIT, sucks?

Based on the fact I've seen Massachussett's various college programming teams perform as poorly as Liberty University in competitions even against a not-so-famous school as Miami University, yeah.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Based on the fact I've seen Massachussett's various college programming teams perform as poorly as Liberty University in competitions even against a not-so-famous school as Miami University, yeah.

http://learninglab.wbur.org/2016/01/07/massachusetts-education-again-ranks-no-1-nationally/

From last month.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

http://learninglab.wbur.org/about/

So totally not biased... It's confirmation bias and the halo effect at a maximum.

12 minutes ago, Daring said:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

Another source. But this isn't the topic at hand.

Double weight for completing the ACT but not the SAT... This ignores that they're practically the same test, just segmented differently, and that scores on each will transfer almost perfectly by percentage (ex: 2000 on the SAT gives about 30 on the ACT with very low deviation). And it also ignores that the east coast and west coast don't even require ACT scores or give people a choice to submit either one. Stupid metric altogether.

Gives double the weight for completing any number of AP test, but gives no consideration to more than one, which minimizes the effect of students like me who took 3 or more, some of my friends taking 8 before they got out of high school (hello New Jersey quality, or at least Hunterdon Central back in 2008-2012).

No weight given at all to percentages of students who attend college within 2 years of graduating high school (Massachusetts, much like Louisiana, has a very high rate of non-college attendees in-state). No weight given to % of college grads who get a salaried job within 2 years of graduation (my own university having a stellar rate in the mid 90s).

And seriously, no weight given to public-private partnerships in co-ops and externships for professional development (a key factor in securing employment these days in most tech fields)? Sorry but these rankings stink like fresh compost.

Double weight for completing the ACT but not the SAT... This ignores that they're practically the same test, just segmented differently, and that scores on each will transfer almost perfectly by percentage (ex: 2000 on the SAT gives about 30 on the ACT with very low deviation). And it also ignores that the east coast and west coast don't even require ACT scores or give people a choice to submit either one. Stupid metric altogether.

Gives double the weight for completing any number of AP test, but gives no consideration to more than one, which minimizes the effect of students like me who took 3 or more, some of my friends taking 8 before they got out of high school (hello New Jersey quality, or at least Hunterdon Central back in 2008-2012).

No weight given at all to percentages of students who attend college within 2 years of graduating high school (Massachusetts, much like Louisiana, has a very high rate of non-college attendees in-state). No weight given to % of college grads who get a salaried job within 2 years of graduation (my own university having a stellar rate in the mid 90s).

And seriously, no weight given to public-private partnerships in co-ops and externships for professional development? Sorry but these rankings stink like fresh compost.

ok

On February 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM, thekeemo said:

Which is why I mentioned the laptops.

Even laptops, all the laptops I see in electronic stores have a version of windows installed by the OEM along with some bloat.

On February 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Dabombinable said:

Can I burst your bubble? Because trust me, not all OEM do, especially small ones.

Yeah I will agree with you for smaller OEMs, but I'm pretty sure the likes of Acer and Lenovo don't.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide