Virgin Galactic unveils new spaceship

Virgin Galactic unveils new spaceship

By Rachel Crane and Amanda Barnett, CNN

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/us/virgin-galactic-new-space-plane/index.html

Virgin Galactic released  images of its new spaceship  via the company's Twitter account.

Virgin Galactic's race to become the first major private space tourism company just got closer to reality.

"It's a significant moment I think in aviation history," said Mackay. "This is the vehicle that is going to take many hundreds of regular people into space for the first time."

Looks like Virgin is in round 2 of its civilian space transport plans. I am a little excited but I wont hold my breath, there was a lot of hype last time around but it looks as if Virgin has taken its time to get thing right this time.

This is by far interesting to see if they succeed this time.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

i love the design. i just hope they got everything right this time. this is one of the most commercially viable space tourist transport vessel i have seen in a long time 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I wonder how much it will cost to go on a tour once it's been open for about a year or so giving them time to get used to running the system and work out all the minor problems.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

6 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I wonder how much it will cost to go on a tour once it's been open for about a year or so giving them time to get used to running the system and work out all the minor problems.

my guess anywhere from 90 to 120 thousand usd per seat 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

11 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

my guess anywhere from 90 to 120 thousand usd per seat 

That would also be my guess

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

I like that they seem to have gone with something other than Enterprise for the name. We all know where calling it the VSS Enterprise-A leads to...
Still, shes very pretty. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

"This is the vehicle that is going to take many hundreds of regular people into space for the first time."

Regular people, meaning no prior physical training or is that ticket pricing available for someone who works at minimum wage?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

4 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

"This is the vehicle that is going to take many hundreds of regular people into space for the first time."

Regular people, meaning no prior physical training or is that ticket pricing available for someone who works at minimum wage?

Regular ultra-rich people.

17 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Regular ultra-rich people.

I figured it's for the regular, they meant millionaires who can afford a $150k+/ticket.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

7 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

I figured it's for the regular, they meant millionaires who can afford a $150k+/ticket.

If I had a million dollars I'd spend it somewhere else 150k pretty expensive and I have low confidence in their safety record. They have not really instilled trust on that aspect. Also isn't the ticket price 250k now?

Time to recreate this in kerbal space program

Home is where the heart my desktop is.