i7 4790k , tried OC to 4.8ghz and can't boot or get to bios

Dunzaus

Hi I tried following Linus Haswell overclocking video and when I tried to set cpu ratio for 4.8 and save and exit then it won't go past the first screen and I can't enter bios either.

cpu volt was set at 1.200

I have a Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler

I have tried restarted computer many times and those times it go past the first screen then windows says that it will try and repair and has come up with 2 errors: 

''windows-driver-overran-stack-buffer''

''whea uncorrectable error ''

Please help :(

Just now, Dunzaus said:

Hi I tried following Linus Haswell overclocking video and when I tried to set cpu ratio for 4.8 and save and exit then it won't go past the first screen and I can't enter bios either.

I have tried restarted computer many times and those times it go past the first screen then windows says that it will try and repair and has come up with 2 errors: 

Did you overclock a little at a time or just stick it right up to 4.8ghz on the first try.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Dunzaus said:

clear cmos.

overclock the cpu in little increments. not straight to 4.8ghz.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Clear CMOS and try at a lower clock

Clear CMOS, most motherboards should have a button for that, otherwise pull out the motherboard battery and count to 10 before inserting it again

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

Did you overclock a little at a time or just stick it right up to 4.8ghz on the first try.

I tried 4.6 first and it went fine and then i tried 4.8 since linus used a i7 4770k in the video and he went straight to 4.6 to see if it could handle it

Just now, Dunzaus said:

I tried 4.6 first and it went fine and then i tried 4.8 since linus used a i7 4770k in the video and he went straight to 4.6 to see if it could handle it

Did you ever go to 4.7 ghz?

i like trains 🙂

Just now, FunkyFeatures said:

Clear CMOS, most motherboards should have a button for that, otherwise pull out the motherboard battery and count to 10 before inserting it again

Okay I will try that. I'll post back with my results

1 minute ago, Star Paladin Vinyl said:

Clear CMOS and try at a lower clock

Okay I will try that. I'll post back with my results

Just now, Implosivetech said:

Did you ever go to 4.7 ghz?

No I didn't

Right, taking out the battery on the motherboard  worked. I tried setting it to 4.7 and it would go to windows and came back with the same errors as before but atleast i could enter BIOS. Then I put it on 4.6 and I could get into windows. 

I know that not all CPU's can overclock the same but I feel like the Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler that I just bought is a waste of money if I can't get higher than this and should just resell it.

Isn't really anything that I can do to get higher?

My motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87x-DH3

CPU: 4790k

Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler

All I have done so is set voltage to 1.200 and and set the cpu ratio to 4.6-4.7-4.8 , and I can only boot with 4.6

Not all cpus can achieve a high oc. Your 4.6 is definitely better than those who can only reach 4.5 :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

With your Noctua cooler you could probably push 1.3Vcore. I am pushing 1.286Vcore with my Hyper 212 Evo.

Voltage is required to stay stable, I highly doubt even a decent overclocker could reach 4.7 or 4.8 on 1.2vcore.

I would try 4.8, slowly increasing voltage with .01 increments, if 1.2 doesnt work, try 1.25. If it still doesnt work, try 1.3 (wouldn't go higher than that), if that works, slowly decrease voltage by .01

My 4790K hit a brick wall at 4.6GHZ, I need to further increase voltage by a whole .075 to reach 4.7, and therefore it is not worth it for me to go higher. It is not the coolers job to promise you high overclock, all it does is aid in temperatures if you reach high voltages.

I might eventually go with custom water cooling and try up to 1.35 volt and 4.8/4.9 GHZ, but highly doubt I have any more performance to squeeze out of my CPU, so it is hardly worth it for me to upgrade.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

23 minutes ago, Dunzaus said:

All I have done so is set voltage to 1.200 and and set the cpu ratio to 4.6-4.7-4.8 , and I can only boot with 4.6

And that's why. 1.2v is too low for 4.8. In fact, even for 4.6 is already pretty good.

Bump this up a notch, your cooler can most likely handle it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Ul looking at 1.32 for 4.8 1.26for 4.7

and 1.2 for 4.6 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

28 minutes ago, FunkyFeatures said:

With your Noctua cooler you could probably push 1.3Vcore. I am pushing 1.286Vcore with my Hyper 212 Evo.

Voltage is required to stay stable, I highly doubt even a decent overclocker could reach 4.7 or 4.8 on 1.2vcore.

I would try 4.8, slowly increasing voltage with .01 increments, if 1.2 doesnt work, try 1.25. If it still doesnt work, try 1.3 (wouldn't go higher than that), if that works, slowly decrease voltage by .01

My 4790K hit a brick wall at 4.6GHZ, I need to further increase voltage by a whole .075 to reach 4.7, and therefore it is not worth it for me to go higher. It is not the coolers job to promise you high overclock, all it does is aid in temperatures if you reach high voltages.

this. You can't simply expect the clock to go up without increasing voltage. 

I have a similar experience with my FX - point of the story. When you're reaching the threshold of maximum performance of your chip, the voltage needed is exponentially growing. The relationship between core clock and voltage in exponential, not linear. 

I can hit 4.7 (on my FX) at 1.432, but need ~1.48 for 4.8 to be completely stable. This is a huge difference and the temperatures are vastly different. 

59 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Ul looking at 1.32 for 4.8 1.26for 4.7

and 1.2 for 4.6 

Thanks I trying 1.26 for 4.7 as we speak and it going fine!

Can you tell me the voltages beyond 4.8 to 5.0?

I don't think that I should try higher than 5.0 but I could use the voltages for 4.9 and 5.0 as well :)

But let me know if I should try higher than 5.0

Just now, Dunzaus said:

Thanks I trying 1.26 for 4.7 as we speak and it going fine!

Can you tell me the voltages beyond 4.8 to 5.0?

I don't think that I should try higher than 5.0 but I could use the voltages for 4.9 and 5.0 as well :)

But let me know if I should try higher than 5.0

1.35 max voltage just keep going up till I fail but most likely 1.32/1.35 will get u to 4.8 max 

also (1600) 

Just now, jjohnthedon1 said:

1.35 max voltage just keep going up till I fail but most likely 1.32/1.35 will get u to 4.8 max 

Okay thanks! <3

49 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Yep, 4.8 is my limit.

I have tried 4.9 with 1.32 - 1.33-1.34-1.35 voltage and they all crashed after a few seconds in Realbench

With 4.8 at 1.33 voltage my temperatures is falling up and down between 68-85 degrees with mostly being the 70's.

Thanks for your help! :)

4 hours ago, Dunzaus said:

Yep, 4.8 is my limit.

I have tried 4.9 with 1.32 - 1.33-1.34-1.35 voltage and they all crashed after a few seconds in Realbench

With 4.8 at 1.33 voltage my temperatures is falling up and down between 68-85 degrees with mostly being the 70's.

Thanks for your help! :)

That's fine dude ! 

R u using it for gaming ? 

Mans ur real world temps will never got that high :) 

also (1600) 

1 hour ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

That's fine dude ! 

R u using it for gaming ? 

Mans ur real world temps will never got that high :) 

Yeah I'm using it for gaming. Though I'm mostly preparing my rig for the HTC Vive. I only hope that my R9 290 xfx will be enough so I don't have to upgrade so close to the new generation from nvidia and amd

• 4 years later...

You need way more voltage than 1.2V.  Maybe 1.5V at least to be stable for 4.8.  I think I was up to at least 1.65V